I can't believe in this lineup until they record new music together

Perhaps foolishly, I just assumed Axl reuniting with Slash and Duff would be a continuation of sorts, picking up where they left off in 1993. But it doesn't feel like that at all. I've watched the videos and the performances and of course I didn't expect it to be exactly the same as the glory days, but I didn't anticipate how empty and corporate the whole thing would feel.

To enjoy live music, I have to believe that the artist/band are driven by the art, by the desire to create. I haven't felt this way about Axl in about six years. It's just going through the motions, a little snake dance here, a middle finger there... it's become pantomime. I don't think I will be able to buy into this reunion until they start performing new music and prove that they're doing this for reasons other than financial gain.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

Just enjoy it while it lasts at least. 
If we get new music, the great. If not, at least we got a last run of what many considers the most important members of GNR playing together. 
We have all been waiting over 20 years for this to happen, now it has only been going on for a few months.

Look at Iron Maiden... when Dickinson returned in 99, theyh did a nostalgia tour... Look at what happened next. You never know :)

• Like 2

Honestly I'm not sure if Axl is necessarily the problem, when it comes to new music. He just said that he would like to put out more music with GNR. But he seemed a bit unsure about Slash's involvement. So I don't know what the problem is. Maybe Axl wants to release CD2 and Slash isn't sure if he wants to be a part of that record. We don't know. But clearly it's a little complicated. I guess they just want to see first how it goes with the touring, before they start to think about new music seriously.

But I agree that it's a little hard to get fully excited about this before there's talk about new music.

A more corporate thing to do would have been to release a shitty disposable Slash solo-like reunion cock rock album.

My guess is Axl won't release a Guns album until it's ready (if that ever happens)

Besides, give them a little time to play... finish the tour. This is too early imo to talk about this. (considering we know who we're dealing with here)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I was just watching the Tokyo 1992 DVDs today and honestly the shows today don't seem any more corporate than those days.  Watch more than one show from 1991-1992 and Axl does the same dances and movements a lot of times during the same moments of songs.  The only difference nowadays is less crazy movements (age) and less angry rants (maturity)

The difference is, in 1992 they had just dropped two new albums and were playing a tonne of new music in their setlists.

Just now, Towelie said:

The difference is, in 1992 they had just dropped two new albums and were playing a tonne of new music in their setlists.

And this is the first Guns N' Roses tour since 1993 with Slash and Duff in the band, in fact it is just around just a mere 6 months.  This is old friends reuniting and playing the songs that make up their history for the first time together in ages (and in some songs cases, ever).  I find the 1992 situation just as "corporate" as nowadays, for similar and different reasons

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

And this is the first Guns N' Roses tour since 1993 with Slash and Duff in the band, in fact it is just around just a mere 6 months.  This is old friends reuniting and playing the songs that make up their history for the first time together in ages (and in some songs cases, ever).  I find the 1992 situation just as "corporate" as nowadays, for similar and different reasons

What makes you say that? Because to me, it's like night and day. 1993 was a band at the top of their game, who'd just released arguably the best work of their careers. 2016 is a bunch of guys making a fast-buck, playing songs they've played 500+ times and going through the motions.

Just now, Towelie said:

What makes you say that? Because to me, it's like night and day. 1993 was a band at the top of their game, who'd just released arguably the best work of their careers. 2016 is a bunch of guys making a fast-buck, playing songs they've played 500+ times and going through the motions.

Have you seen the Axl interview with China Exchange?  The backstage footage? The onstage footage?  All in all Axl, Slash, and Duff are guys who live and breathe for being on stage.  That is what they do, and they finally have been able to put aside their differences and rekindle their friendships and play some great music together again.  I simply do not see it as a mere cash grab.  I am not saying money isn't a factor in it at all, however I suppose I see it in a more positive light.

You can say it is like night and day, but to me that nightime and that daytime are a part of the same day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Perhaps foolishly, I just assumed Axl reuniting with Slash and Duff would be a continuation of sorts, picking up where they left off in 1993. But it doesn't feel like that at all. I've watched the videos and the performances and of course I didn't expect it to be exactly the same as the glory days, but I didn't anticipate how empty and corporate the whole thing would feel.

To enjoy live music, I have to believe that the artist/band are driven by the art, by the desire to create. I haven't felt this way about Axl in about six years. It's just going through the motions, a little snake dance here, a middle finger there... it's become pantomime. I don't think I will be able to buy into this reunion until they start performing new music and prove that they're doing this for reasons other than financial gain.

YOU'VE GOT TO BELIEVEEE TOWELIE, YOU'VE GOT TO HOLD ON TO THE DREAM! :lol:

52 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Axl probably did too.  Cake smeared all over his face.  'why do i do it, why do i do it?' :lol:

He is sporting quite a belly on him, lets not sugarcoat it (because he'd eat that too). :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

I wonder why he don't take his shirt of these days :D

I would go and see a show if he stripped down to his cycling shorts again, love handles, belly fat and moobs flopping out in all their shameless glory. Now that'd be more entertaining than watching him do Knockin' On Heavens Door for the gazillionth time.

Edited by Towelie

Just now, Towelie said:

I would go and see a show if he stipped down to his cycling shorts again, love handles, belly fat and moobs flopping out in all their shameless glory. Now that'd be more entertaining than watching him do Knockin' On Heavens Door for the gazillionth time.

Knockers on Heavens Door :lol:

• Like 2

Nobody knows what the long term plans are for Guns because they've never told anybody. No press, no tv, no nothing, it's all I guessing game I suppose that was alright very early on. But I feel now would be a good time to let us the fans know if there any long term intentions for the band. Yes they're going to be asked THAT question why now ? eventually they're going to have to answer it. It's no big deal to us as we're happy to see Axl & Slash sharing a stage together but come on guys let us know if it's long term or should the tour be re-named The Once In A Lifetime Tour.

I could care less about this band recording new music together right now.. They haven't played together in two decades, let's see if they can get through a fucking tour first.

I am still not sold on the line up in general. The first 6 shows did feel empty and very underwhelming but they seem to have turned it up a notch for the stadium tour. They sound good now and hopefully will continue to get better but I still don't think they sound great. Fortus and Richard seem to have improved a little but I could still care less about them either way and would gladly see them replaced. Axl sounds better than the recent past and sounds good enough with some wow moments but I wouldn't he is great. He still get's winded and I don't care what anyone says, he could stand to lose like 40 pounds and it would probably help with that. I still wish Melissa would runaway to burning man and never come back. She looks so fucking stupid onstage bouncing around doing nothing with her Jetson's hair do. 

All that said, I have been happy with the improvements since the April shows..The band has is getting better live and that is all that counts for me really. Most of all Slash seems to be getting much more comfortable now and has been the highlight of the shows in my opinion. I am enjoying the tour for most part so far but right now new music from them is the last thing on my mind. If it happens cool, but from this lineup? mehh..

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

I would go and see a show if he stripped down to his cycling shorts again, love handles, belly fat and moobs flopping out in all their shameless glory. Now that'd be more entertaining than watching him do Knockin' On Heavens Door for the gazillionth time.

That would be a sight to behold :scared::rofl-lol:

Seriously though, Slash just was on stage with his shirt open. And yeah, he had a beer gut and moobs, but it wasn't too terrible or anything. Axl can't be that much worse, can he?

Different angle. Maybe they are caught between wanting to record new stuff but can't without Izzy and CD II which doesn't fit the reunion. Let's call it the Detox Effect. So Axl might have few songs that he wants to do, so it's really over to Slash and that may not happen until after Conspirators 3?

3 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Nobody knows what the long term plans are for Guns because they've never told anybody. No press, no tv, no nothing, it's all I guessing game I suppose that was alright very early on. But I feel now would be a good time to let us the fans know if there any long term intentions for the band. Yes they're going to be asked THAT question why now ? eventually they're going to have to answer it. It's no big deal to us as we're happy to see Axl & Slash sharing a stage together but come on guys let us know if it's long term or should the tour be re-named The Once In A Lifetime Tour.

What difference would talking about their long term plans make? "Soon is the word" can mean another decade.