Did it take a reunion to lose Mickey & get back the rasp??

I've been watching Youtube clips for hours of the tour and Axl sounds... like Axl. I think this is the best he has sounded in 20 years  I'd like to think that it's due to the return of Slash & Duff that let Axl get the rasp back but sadly there must be some vocal processing going on right? Even songs like Rocket Queen & November Rain where Mickey voice was at an all time high sound great now. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jz1276 said:

I've been watching Youtube clips for hours of the tour and Axl sounds... like Axl. I think this is the best he has sounded in 20 years  I'd like to think that it's due to the return of Slash & Duff that let Axl get the rasp back but sadly there must be some vocal processing going on right? Even songs like Rocket Queen & November Rain where Mickey voice was at an all time high sound great now. What do you guys think?

I don't see why it's sad to have his old vocal coach helping him again.

That means that he is motivated for all this thing. And this motivation surely stems from being again with Slash and Duff (and the ACDC thing as well).

34 minutes ago, jz1276 said:

If you like rasp, then his voice is definitely not the best it's been in 20 years. Check out some 2010 videos. He sounded waaaayyyy more raspy back then. 

43 minutes ago, jz1276 said:

sure it's not mickey but best in 20 years? divide that by 4 maybe

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

:bitchfight:

:popcorn:

Hate to spoil your fun, but nobody's actually fighting bout anything. :tongue2: Most people, me included are happy that Axl's giving it his all. And he sounds great overall. Facts are facts though and he's not as raspy as in 2010. You don't need to lie to yourself to enjoy these shows.

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

Hate to spoil your fun, but nobody's actually fighting bout anything. :tongue2: Most people, me included are happy that Axl's giving it his all. And he sounds great overall. Facts are facts though and he's not as raspy as in 2010. You don't need to lie to yourself to enjoy these shows.

Oh I know............just wait...............:lol:

I totally agree with your point though. When I saw them in Vegas & Detroit, I wasn't like "OMGZ! IT'S 2010 ALL OVER AGAIN11!!!!111!!" but I also wasn't sitting there with a notebook jotting down things like "2:10 into NR; no rasp. Wait. 4:57; rasp is back" :lol: I was busy having an awesome time and taking the whole affair in. 

• Like 2

Not only the "rasp" is back. Also the " slash mojo" is back as well.

Slash was havin awfull performances before this reunion .   that smkc at the roxy is the worst ive seen of slash .. What a terrible performance.   Now this "not in this life time" slash??  Now he's unfire.  He is "slash  Again

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh I know............just wait...............:lol:

I totally agree with your point though. When I saw them in Vegas & Detroit, I wasn't like "OMGZ! IT'S 2010 ALL OVER AGAIN11!!!!111!!" but I also wasn't sitting there with a notebook jotting down things like "2:10 into NR; no rasp. Wait. 4:57; rasp is back" :lol: I was busy having an awesome time and taking the whole affair in. 

That's the right attitude. Don't really understand these "OMGZ IT'S THE BEST AXLS SOUNDED IN 20 YEARZ11!!1"-people though, especially if rasp is their criteria for a good voice. Like I said, these are great reunion shows, there's no need to lie to yourself in order to enjoy them.

11 minutes ago, SEPTEM said:

Not only the "rasp" is back. Also the " slash mojo" is back as well.

Slash was havin awfull performances before this reunion .   that smkc at the roxy is the worst ive seen of slash .. What a terrible performance.   Now this "not in this life time" slash??  Now he's unfire.  He is "slash  Again

Mate you're talking absolute horseshit. Slash gives 100%, all the time, and he was absolutely brilliant with SMKC and will continue to be. Give us some examples of Slashs 'terrible' performances?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

That's the right attitude. Don't really understand these "OMGZ IT'S THE BEST AXLS SOUNDED IN 20 YEARZ11!!1"-people though, especially if rasp is their criteria for a good voice. Like I said, these are great reunion shows, there's no need to lie to yourself in order to enjoy them.

Exactly. "This second line in the first verse of jungle is the best Axl has sounded since 1988, but this third word in the chorus is a complete disaster, full Mickey, he's already lost his voice, the reunion is over" 

I'm really enjoying these shows, even though the time zones don't give me a chance to watch it live. Axl is doing great, so is Slash and Duff. The energy, stage presence and overall feeling is what matters. I don't care about a couple of missed notes, you can see that they're having fun and putting everyhing into it. And that's what makes me happy. :headbang:

8 minutes ago, eggers said:

I think something fundamentally changed in Axl's life and we are seeing a new person.

Absolutely. The dude just looks like a much, MUCH happier person. Couldn't agree more that he is like a different (better) dude.

• Like 1

With Guns he sounds better than 02 and 11-14 for sure. Not as raspy as some would like, but he sounds good, his clean voice is also better and more powerful.

With AC/DC he sounds like an absolute force of nature. All things considered it's a great year for Axl.

Even with diminished skills he is still a very impressive singer.

1 minute ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Lose Mickey ???  And you spent hours listening to these 'reunion' shows ?  You must not have been paying attention ...

I'm sure that's what he said.  You don't have a reading problem.  Show us where you've heard Mickey, I haven't heard it (I'll concede I may have).  But the point is I imagine what you think is Mickey, others don't and probably isn't.  So, show me where you think you've heard Mickey...ill be waiting.

4 hours ago, Philipm787 said:

Mate you're talking absolute horseshit. Slash gives 100%, all the time, and he was absolutely brilliant with SMKC and will continue to be. Give us some examples of Slashs 'terrible' performances?

He did give you an example, read his post.

It didn't take a reunion to bring back the rasp because it has not returned. ACDC did that for him, not Guns. He doesn't seem to care enough about GNR to sing correctly.

I am still wondering what motivated him to sing the way he did in 2010. That is still a mystery. Whatever it was, I wish it happened again.

13 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It didn't take a reunion to bring back the rasp because it has not returned. ACDC did that for him, not Guns. He doesn't seem to care enough about GNR to sing correctly.

I am still wondering what motivated him to sing the way he did in 2010. That is still a mystery. Whatever it was, I wish it happened again.

I can show you examples where it has...not accurate. 

I've heard Mickey for sure at times.. Some performances of RQ, YCBM, Sweet Cild. PC.. I think he is supposed to sound like that on Better.. It is definitely less prevalent that it used to and seemed to come out more during the early shows. It seems to be on the verge of coming out at other times but you can hear Axl fighting it.  He could sound better at times but seems to be giving it 100% and that is good enough for me. He does seem winded at times during the more challenging songs. I bet dropping about 20-40 pounds would help with that