Did it take a reunion to lose Mickey & get back the rasp??

9 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What do you mean "what he had been reduced to", this year he regularly sang Back In Black like a freaking 1981 Brian Johnson would. With the performances he has been giving with some ACDC stuff he has not been "reduced" whatsoever. He can sing like that when he wants to as we could see with ACDC. Thus the conclusion is he CHOOSES to use his clean voice on some GNR stuff, not because he cant sing like he used to, he CAN, it's just his preference these days, or he thinks it fits the song better or whatever we dont know the reason for it.

That's not "being reduced", he's singing SCOM, RQ in a different style nowadays, and a lot of fans (like you) just don't like it. You either deal with it or go write a letter to axls management if it bothers you so much. What a ridiculous claim to make, after the performances he gave this year and seeing what he's still capable of

The fact that he is good with ACDC is what hurts his case the most and validates my opinion. Without the ACDC performances I would just be a miserable whiner who is not "enjoying the moment" .He just doesn't seem to care enough to sing at his best for his GNR fans, and the magnitude that is his reconciliation with Slash.It is all somewhat underwhelming.The current Axl of GNR is not even 1/3rd of what he used to be in the 90's. And I say 90's because if I said 80's, it would be 1/4th. Slash may be old and have potato arms, but the fucker can still play.

p.s I seem to remember the excitement in this board when Axl was singing for ACDC. You were all like "he got his voice back" "He is going to kick ass in the GNR tour" Now that you see that is not the case, you are all finding excuses for him. The same old tired excuses you have been using for 15 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I've heard Mickey for sure at times.. Some performances of RQ, YCBM, Sweet Cild. PC.. I think he is supposed to sound like that on Better.. It is definitely less prevalent that it used to and seemed to come out more during the early shows. It seems to be on the verge of coming out at other times but you can hear Axl fighting it.  He could sound better at times but seems to be giving it 100% and that is good enough for me. He does seem winded at times during the more challenging songs. I bet dropping about 20-40 pounds would help with that

I think just doing some cardio would help his breathing a lot

9 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I don't see why it's sad to have his old vocal coach helping him again.

That means that he is motivated for all this thing. And this motivation surely stems from being again with Slash and Duff (and the ACDC thing as well).

Who said it was sad? I didn't even know he had a vocal coach.

8 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

That's the right attitude. Don't really understand these "OMGZ IT'S THE BEST AXLS SOUNDED IN 20 YEARZ11!!1"-people though, especially if rasp is their criteria for a good voice. Like I said, these are great reunion shows, there's no need to lie to yourself in order to enjoy them.

For Axl, yeah, the rasp makes HIS voice. All the songs (You Could Be Mine, Nov Rain, Jungle) he has performing with the high pitched voice for years are now raspy again like they should be. I'm not claiming to have seen EVERY Axl performance of the last 20 years and by no means tried to start a debate here. My point is that he sounds more like he used to in the late 80's early 90's now that he has reunited with the band.

Edited by jz1276

17 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

p.s I seem to remember the excitement in this board when Axl was singing for ACDC. You were all like "he got his voice back" "He is going to kick ass in the GNR tour" Now that you see that is not the case, you are all finding excuses for him. The same old tired excuses you have been using for 15 years.

Nah, man. I never expected him to sound as raspy with GNR. You can search all my old posts if you want to. All the time I was saying that the only reason why he sounds so great with AC/DC is because he gets to scream. All the time I was saying that his voice is not as great as it was in 2010, even though he sounded incredibly raspy on AC/DC songs. Cause it's so blatantly obvious why he sounded so good on AC/DC songs. Because of the screaming. And I tried to tell people not to expect him to sound that way on GNR shows.

Edited by Lies They Tell

18 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

The fact that he is good with ACDC is what hurts his case the most and validates my opinion. Without the ACDC performances I would just be a miserable whiner who is not "enjoying the moment" .He just doesn't seem to care enough to sing at his best for his GNR fans, and the magnitude that is his reconciliation with Slash.It is all somewhat underwhelming.The current Axl of GNR is not even 1/3rd of what he used to be in the 90's. And I say 90's because if I said 80's, it would be 1/4th. Slash may be old and have potato arms, but the fucker can still play.

You put it like, the more rasp = the better, and the more he cares? Im afraid thats not the way axl sees it because he can pull out some ridiculous rasp when he wants to (thunderstruck). He just CHOOSES not to, thats not lack of caring. Thats not wanting to rasp through every single damn GNR song. The guy obviously likes his clean voice enough he used it in the studio on CD. Thats just the way he likes to sing certain GNR stuff these days. I dont like it either and I would prefer he would use his lower voice like on its so easy or seeker for stuff instead of the clean one, but its just an opinion and ultimately the way he wants to sing is Axls choice, not anyone elses.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, SEPTEM said:

Like i said, a lot of smkc shows were terrible. And i did mentioned an example ( that smkc live at roxy.. I got that one recorded from directv.  Slash performance there is nowhere near half of what hes doing right now.  Im a huge slash fan, and i am a guitar player since 22 years a go. I unos what im talking about.

Plus... I know he was always giving 100 %.  But so was axl.  And neither of them was half good as they are now between 2011 -2015.  Is a fact, not an opinion.

Are you saying Slashs guitar playing in SMKC was terrible? Ok, so give me a video to prove this. I'm also a guitar player, so I think you're talking bollocks.

if you're telling me Axl was giving 100% in 11-14 then you're delusional. Slashs performances were consistently brilliant with SMKC and he has now come into his own in GNR, so he's just as good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

lol not sure. Seriously though, going on runs or doing any exercise that requires your whole body to move would do wonders.

I used to believe this, but not anymore. The fact that fat Axl was able to sing the way he did with ACDC throws everything out of the window. Axl should lose weight for appearances purposes, but I no longer believe it would help vocally. Axl is fine vocally. His problem is he doesn't want to sing for GNR for whatever reason.

I would say that Axl's best vocal performance with GNR right now is welcome to the jungle. It is on a song in which he does the most running. He is singing in full rasp while running down the steps. It pretty much destroys the cardio argument. The guy is just lazy and doesn't want to put the effort for his own band.He has decided to use rasp on a couple of songs and that is it.

14 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

No one is finding excuses for him. You have been and continue to dramatically overstate your case. The majority of the userbase is stating what they're seeing and hearing, which has been based in reality. 

As far as "He's gonna kick ass on the GN'R tour"... he is. Does he sound like he's 28 or even 38? No and no one is claiming that. What people are saying is that his overall performances have been great and he's sounded good overall. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

No one is finding excuses for him. You have been and continue to dramatically overstate your case. The majority of the userbase is stating what they're seeing and hearing, which has been based in reality. 

As far as "He's gonna kick ass on the GN'R tour"... he is. Does he sound like he's 28 or even 38? No and no one is claiming that. What people are saying is that his overall performances have been great and he's sounded good overall. 

Id say he sounds a hell of a lot better now than when he was 38. Wasnt that 2001 and 2002?

If we can be real for a second here; Axl sounded absolutely insane in 2006, better (in my opinion) than he was ever singing live at any point in time. So to say he sounds better than he has in 20 years is just overly optimistic thinking. I honestly don't think he sounds any better than 2009-2010 era, the only viable difference I can tell is that his performances are much more animated than they've been prior to the reunion. The 'Mickey' voice still cracks through a plenty during live sets, and his raspy voice makes it through a lot as well. It's a middle ground right now with his voice, I think a lot of the hype for how 'great' his voice is now is stemmed simply from the reunion vibes and how entertaining the 'big 3' are to see on stage.

Is he singing badly though? No. Not very, at least. Arguments could be made for some songs at certain times, but overall he's giving more effort than he has since 2006, and that's respectable.

As per the argument that he sang the AC/DC songs perfectly with buckets of rasp, I'm pretty sure Axl can hit those screaming notes with large amounts of rasp with relative ease. We've seen this at the reunion shows, in fact. It's the less-powerful notes he struggles to hit with any sort of rasp, hence the presence of 'Mickey' on songs like Sweet Child.

Not sure where this thread has gone, but I read 1 page...

Axl does seem like he's better place, but I still think that could change very quickly. 

The Mickey/clean voice just sounds bad and weak with gnr but his clean voice with ACDC was world class. He sounded brilliant! Like he does when you hear him live.

so Idk I think he's doing great but like always there's room for improvement and reasonable improvement at that

7 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Nah, man. I never expected him to sound as raspy with GNR. You can search all my old posts if you want to. All the time I was saying that the only reason why he sounds so great with AC/DC is because he gets to scream. All the time I was saying that his voice is not as great as it was in 2010, even though he sounded incredibly raspy on AC/DC songs. Cause it's so blatantly obvious why he sounded so good on AC/DC songs. Because of the screaming. And I tried to tell people not to expect him to sound that way on GNR shows.

To say that every single ACDC song and all parts of them is screaming is ignorant. I bet you anything that if ACDC wrote a song fo GNR (without Axl knowing about it)he would sing it in a Mickey/weak voice or whatever you want to call it. If he sang the same song with ACDC if would be full rasp

Listen to the ACDC performances again. His voice has control. It is like a totally different singer. Even his GNR rasp is not as strong as ACDC's rasp.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

He actually sounds better now than he did at 38. He was full Mickey at Rock in Rio 2.

3 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

To say that every single ACDC song and all parts of them is screaming is ignorant. I bet you anything that if ACDC wrote a song fo GNR (without Axl knowing about it)he would sing it in a Mickey/weak voice or whatever you want to call it. If he sang the same song with ACDC if would be full rasp

Listen to the ACDC performances again. His voice has control. It is like a totally different singer. Even his GNR rasp is not as strong as ACDC's rasp.

He actually sounds better now than he did at 38. He was full Mickey at Rock in Rio 2.

Right. @ZoSoRose already pointed that out. That wasn't the overall point of my post anyway. The point is that you're literally making something out of nothing because no one is saying Axl sounds perfect or close to it.

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It's true that not every AC/DC song is all about screaming. And on those songs he also sounds much weaker. Just like with GNR. There is absolutely no difference what so ever. Just look at the videos that Blackstar posted and compare yourself. Axl is just as whiney with AC/DC when he's not screaming.

14 minutes ago, jz1276 said:

Who said it was sad? I didn't even know he had a vocal coach.

Because you said:

10 hours ago, jz1276 said:

I'd like to think that it's due to the return of Slash & Duff that let Axl get the rasp back but sadly there must be some vocal processing going on right?

So I thought that by saying 'vocal processing' you meant vocal training. Yes, he said that he's working again with the coach he had 20 years ago.

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right. @ZoSoRose already pointed that out. That wasn't the overall point of my post anyway. The point is that you're literally making something out of nothing because no one is saying Axl sounds perfect or close to it.

Some people are. Some people are saying Axl's vocals are the same in GNR as they are in ACDC. 

There are parts in ACDC songs that require the same vocals in the GNR songs that Axl is singing with Mickey. I wouldn't be saying anything about his voice had he not sung with ACDC. 

If ACDC songs are much easier to sing than GNR songs, then why did his "whole lotta Rosie" suck with GNR between 2011-14 compared to 2010? You would think he would have been able to nail that song every time he performed it. In 2016, he nailed the song once again. It shows me that he is motivated to sing with ACDC the same way he was in 2010.

So if his voice is good now only for acdc and not for GNR. How the fuck did he recover his voice in 2006 ? He had motivation ? Nah thats bullshit... He sounded shit in 02,01. Its nothing to do with his age, he still has a great amount of power in his voice, maybe he has to lose some weight to sing better in mid-range pitch,. Cuz he sounds good high and low , but "mickey" shows itself at mid-range singing...He has to control his mid-range, and maybe thats bcuz of breathing ? Who knows..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, onurbayrak03 said:

So if his voice is good now only for acdc and not for GNR. How the fuck did he recover his voice in 2006 ? He had motivation ? Nah thats bullshit... He sounded shit in 02,01. Its nothing to do with his age, he still has a great amount of power in his voice, maybe he has to lose some weight to sing better in mid-range pitch,. Cuz he sounds good high and low , but "mickey" shows itself at mid-range singing...He has to control his mid-range, and maybe thats bcuz of breathing ? Who knows..

He sounded good in 2006, but he never recovered his voice. His voice died in the 90's. All I want is for him to sound like he did in 2010 or with ACDC. And the fact that he has sounded good for one band and bad for another in a matter of weeks, tells me it is all about effort.

Just now, SWINGTRADER said:

He sounded good in 2006, but he never recovered his voice. His voice died in the 90's. All I want is for him to sound like he did in 2010 or with ACDC. And the fact that he has sounded good for one band and bad for another in a matter of weeks, tells me it is all about effort.

2006 or 2010 they both sound amazing