Richard Fortus (Appreciation Thread)

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

Nothing against Fortus, as I mentioned before that Fortus is the best NuGNR guitarist, he should have played the Lead instead of Robin. 

My main problem is people comparing Fortus with Izzy.

I am not the manager of the band or their legal representative but as a fan Izzy should have been called to join the band if Izzy declined cause of the money then he did nothing wrong, he deserves a equal share too.

Fortus is a great guitarist, no doubt about that, but well Joe Satriani is a great guitarist too. Personally Izzy has a better stage presence, his style his cool and laid back.

Being a fan of Izzy and Steven, in my eyes they deserved to be there, especially Steven. 

Im not anti Gilby nor I am Anti Fortus, Ive met both of them and both of them were nice to me. 

I don't wanna undermine Izzy's role in GN'Rs history. But I'm realistic. I know that Izzy has zero interest in GnR right now (And I don't think that this will change in the next couple of years).

I'm just happy for Richard that he is a part of the NITL tour. He deserves it to be in one band with Slash. 

38 minutes ago, tkarmy said:

he's solo albums are pretty shit imo

I'm glad you said, 'in my opinion'.

38 minutes ago, tkarmy said:

he didn't show up for the illusions recording

Untrue. Of thirty songs on Use Your Illusion, Stradlin is only absent on four of them (The Garden, Civil War, Locomotive, My World) as well as contributing twelve songwriting credits and four 'lead vocal' contributions. The idea that ''Izzy didn't show up for Illusions'' is another Axl/Slash lie I'm afraid.

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

So you are anti Gilby as well? Izzy himself said that he has zero interest so Fortus is the next best thing to him.

Izzy has never once said he has zero interest in a reunion. He's actually been quoted as saying he would have interest in taking part in it because he wrote a great deal of the material. Even Marc canter has confirmed that on this very forum.

Also, have you seen izzys tweets on his official Twitter? The song lyrics, the now incredibly random song with of all people Matt sorum? If anything it tells us izzy is pretty pissed that Axl slash and duff reformed their partnership and didn't include him because he actually is into it..

Would I love for Izzy to be on that stage right now? Absolutely.

However, Richard has been in Guns N' Roses since 2002. He's been doing an amazing job since the day he joined. As far as I am concerned he belongs on the same stage as the original 3.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm glad you said, 'in my opinion'.

Untrue. Of thirty songs on Use Your Illusion, Stradlin is only absent on four of them (The Garden, Civil War, Locomotive, My World) as well as contributing twelve songwriting credits and four 'lead vocal' contributions. The idea that ''Izzy didn't show up for Illusions'' is another Axl/Slash lie I'm afraid.

Didn't Izzy write Locomotive with Slash in Chicago?

It's a common complaint here against Izzy. In his 1991 interviews, Izzy mentions that he finished some of those illusion songs years before the rest of the band started working on them. By the time Axl and co. started working on those songs, Izzy was already one foot out the door.

The man did his job -- it's not his fault that the band was dysfunctional. Why penalize him? He was forced to leave the band he helped create for the sake of his own survival. Duff and Slash nearly died several times on the UYI tour....sounds to me like Izzy left at the right time.

Edited by RONIN

I think his a pretty good replacement. 

Izzy isnt coming back people. He left guns, he left juju hounds, he left velvet revolver. I dont think his reliable and axl isnt going to sack someone like richard thats been in the band for how many years??

• Like 1

From Axl's demeanor at CE I doubt they F'd Izzy over, he chose not to be in this band, for similar reasons to back in the day. He doesn't want to be in a big touring rock band. 

There's definitely GNR classic which I doubt Izzy really interested in. Nov Rain & Coma, Estranged. 

To take this out on Fortus is lame. He can play all the material and seems a good fit for this new line up. 

• Like 2

Richard Fortus can write some KILLER guitar riffs, melodies and songs.

Classic Rock vibe.

He wrote TONS of songs, riffs, leads, solos and licks for the next GN'R records... it's just in the vault, ready to get released. When the next Guns N' Roses record is out, the haters will feel humiliated... humiliated by so much talent.

Check this out... it's something called... TALENT!

Edited by Caraibes
  • Like 1

To be fair I haven't heard a good soundboard mix of how fortus and slash work together.  Fortus always seemed drowned out in new GNR.  He's one hell of a showman tho and great on lead. The band does seem to be settling into a grove now.

• Like 2

Gotta chime in here. Fortus is a great player, performer and songwriter. Really like his stuff with Dead Daisies.

Ultimately, I think people need to consider Slash and Duff on the matter; if Fortus was really crap, he wouldn't be playing these shows.

1 hour ago, ferma said:

Ultimately, I think people need to consider Slash and Duff on the matter; if Fortus was really crap, he wouldn't be playing these shows.

I wouldn't bet on that.  Axl is clearly in charge of this whole thing.

• Like 1