Richard Fortus (Appreciation Thread)

Richard Fortus is the Ronnie Wood of Guns N' Roses!

Ok guys, it's been almost a dozen of shows that Richard Fortus is playing with Slash and Duff and the rythm section sounds TERRIFIC, Fortus gives an awesome "update" to the Classic Guns N' Roses vibe. Plus, he is also a world class lead guitar player.

He is a complete beast, very impressive. He was also impressive during the 2002-2014 erea but now that he's playing with the original guys, it's like he is clicking to the Classic Guns N' Roses sound and vibe and feeling. It sounds and look natural.

It's like he could have been in the band in 1987 ou in 1991 or 1993... but he's got something much better than Izzy and Gilby : Fortus is WAY more skilled... wich could be WAY more promizing for studio material with Axl, Slash and Duff.

To me, it's not the "Big 3" anymore, but the "Big 4" with Fortus. To me he is the Ron Wood of Guns N' Roses and I'm confident he will still be in the band when he turns 70. I have a feeling he will be all over the place for the futur studio material of the band.

To those who went to the shows, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Caraibes
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

Ok guys, it's been almost a dozen of shows that Richard Fortus is playing with Slash and Duff and the rythm section sounds TERRIFIC, Fortus gives an awesome "update" to the Classic Guns N' Roses vibe. Plus, he is also a world class lead guitar player.

He is a complete beast, very impressive. He was also impressive during the 2002-2014 erea but now that he's playing with the original guys, it's like he is clicking to the Classic Guns N' Roses sound and vibe and feeling. It sounds and look natural.

It's like he could have been in the band in 1987 ou in 1991 or 1993... but he's got something much better than Izzy and Gilby : Fortus is WAY more skilled... wich could be WAY more promizing for studio material with Axl, Slash and Duff.

To me, it's not the "Big 3" anymore, but the "Big 4" with Fortus. To me he is the Ron Wood of Guns N' Roses and I'm confident he will still be in the band when he turns 70. I have a feeling he will be all over the place for the futur studio material of the band.

With Frank seemingly improving Fortus might soon be the weakest link..

I don't think his tone and guitar style clicks to the Classic Guns vibe and feel. He was better suited for NuGuns

I'd take Izzy or Gilby over him in a heartbeat

The band has Slash back, they don't need another world class lead player.

I saw him live and there were several things about him I didn't care for.. His tone, volume, showboating and solos were all at the top of the list. The volume issue seems to have been corrected these last few shows from what I could tell at least.

That's how I see him.. Could care less if they replaced him tomorrow

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

With Frank seemingly improving Fortus might soon be he weakest link..

I don't think his tone and guitar style clicks to the Classic Guns vibe and feel. He was better suited for NuGuns

I'd take Izzy or Gilby over him in a heartbeat

The band has Slash back, they don't need another world class lead player.

I saw him live and there were several things about him I didn't care for.. His tone, volume, showboating and solos were all at the top of the list. The volume issue seems to have been corrected these last few shows from what I could tell at least.

That's how I see him.. Could care less if they replaced him tomorrow

All of this. 

Richard only makes Izzys absence a million times worse for me. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 3

He is a technically accomplished guitarist, but he is not a great rhythm guitarist. Complimenting a lead guitarist to the level that Izzy did with Slash is actually pretty hard to do and that is why is worked so well. Richard plays Izzy's parts, but is clearly a lead player. I doubt he would write well with Slash. And the showboating by Fortus on this tour is lame.

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

I stopped reading after this. You must be kidding me.

What the hell did Fortus even contribute to GNR? Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are amazing guitarists too, they would fit much better than Fortus or even Slash. 

Izzy co wrote most of the GNR songs, he wrote some amazing songs even after leaving GNR. 

Fortus can never be even as good as a nail in Izzy's Toe. He is skillful, but never compare him to Izzy.

I always preferred Fortus than the other NuGNR Guitarists, but Izzy deserves to be there instead of a guitarist who has been just covering songs since the past 15 years.

Well he looks like izzy so.. There's that

Just now, Caraibes said:

Hadn't seen that video, thanks. I like Richard  and hope he and Slash can write and play together. They both look like they are having fun.

That said, some GNR fans  are the worst. All they do is bitch about everything.  This thread  sucks, like every other thread on this board. The Debbie Downers  just ruin everything.

• Like 1

Fortus was one of the best guitarists during the 2002-2014 era of GN'R.

I also like his input in the current line-up. And I don't see a single reason why he should have been fired just because Slash & Duff are back. 

4 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

That said, some GNR fans  are the worst. All they do is bitch about everything.  This thread  sucks, like every other thread on this board. The Debbie Downers  just ruin everything.

The guy compared Fortus to Ron Wood, and said Fortus is ''better than Izzy''! How do you suppose people on this board will reciprocate?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Fortus was one of the best guitarists during the 2002-2014 era of GN'R.

I also like his input in the current line-up. And I don't see a single reason why he should have been fired just because Slash & Duff are back. 

I will give you one reason.

IZZY STRADLIN. THE HEART AND SOUL OF GUNS N' ROSES. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I will give you one reason.

IZZY STRADLIN. THE HEART AND SOUL OF GUNS N' ROSES. 

So you are anti Gilby as well? Izzy himself said that he has zero interest so Fortus is the next best thing to him.

52 minutes ago, Sosso said:

So you are anti Gilby as well? Izzy himself said that he has zero interest so Fortus is the next best thing to him.

Nothing against Fortus, as I mentioned before that Fortus is the best NuGNR guitarist, he should have played the Lead instead of Robin. 

My main problem is people comparing Fortus with Izzy.

I am not the manager of the band or their legal representative but as a fan Izzy should have been called to join the band if Izzy declined cause of the money then he did nothing wrong, he deserves a equal share too.

Fortus is a great guitarist, no doubt about that, but well Joe Satriani is a great guitarist too. Personally Izzy has a better stage presence, his style his cool and laid back.

Being a fan of Izzy and Steven, in my eyes they deserved to be there, especially Steven. 

Im not anti Gilby nor I am Anti Fortus, Ive met both of them and both of them were nice to me. 

• Like 1