Axl Uninspired without Izzy + Adler/Sorum

To me its obvious. He's raised his game a little bit here and there, but he's kinda punching in a pay stub at this point if things don't change. 

There's gotta be something in the cards ---- read the chicago tribune article and it clearly states Axl is not the main link right now for entertainment and its indeed slash and duff taking as much of the weight off of him as possible, whereby if izzy and or adler/sorum were in place, i would gurantee axl would take his performance to the next level 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

read the chicago tribune article 

That's the problem right there.  You read an article by a guy who clearly has no idea what he is talking about.  I quote, " It all imploded in the early '90s, with Rose holding on to the Guns N’ Roses name but not much else as he fired everyone in the band but himself."

So, you are going to base your opinion on some hack who is clearly ignorant?

• Like 2

Thing is that Axl don't want Adler/Sorum in the band and Izzy refused to be in the band so your theory is shit. Were you on any show? I ask because people who actually seen them live this tour are so amezed by performance and even go for 3rd or 4th time to show, and only people watching on periscope or youtube have issues with Axl's voice or band as whole. And I think this is 5454676 time people open topic about Axl's voice it's starting to get ridiculous.

Edited by DexAxl
  • Like 3

I have no doubt that Axl is inspired by Izzy. Izzy's songwriting was the backbone of GnR's greatest songs. He's also Axl's closest friend in the band (although it seems like Duff and Axl are really close as well).

With that said, I think Axl is giving it his all on stage right now -- Izzy or no Izzy, we're getting the best performance possible from Axl. It's not 1993....fans need to accept that, as hard as it may be.

• Like 2

I think Slash and Duff now want the spotlight. It's a reunion, here we are. I think Izzy would kick back in the shadows. 

If it was the AFD line up playing AFD with a few other songs then Axl would look on fire because it's an easier more energetic songs. So we'd say he's inspired. I think they/Axl try too hard which is great as we get great songs. But I think a good proportion of people prefer okay songs released more often. Still no answer on this. Maybe it is just Axl's process takes longer. He has material. He wants to do it right and succeed. 

• Like 1

I think Axl thinks Izzy is overrated, he thinks Adler is an idiot, and thinks Sorum is lame

haha mostly kidding however Axl never really gave the credit to Izzy that he gave to Slash, so in Axl's eyes I don't think he views Izzy as much of an asset and is likely perplexed by his devoted following. 

Slash is the ultimate for Axl though so I think this is as motivated as he gets outside of his 2006 form 

31 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think Axl thinks Izzy is overrated, he thinks Adler is an idiot, and thinks Sorum is lame

haha mostly kidding however Axl never really gave the credit to Izzy that he gave to Slash, so in Axl's eyes I don't think he views Izzy as much of an asset and is likely perplexed by his devoted following. 

Slash is the ultimate for Axl though so I think this is as motivated as he gets outside of his 2006 form 

Is that why Axl followed Izzy out of Indy and to LA and the bands they were in before guns?

6 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Is that why Axl followed Izzy out of Indy and to LA and the bands they were in before guns?

I think it was natural to find someone he knew if he wanted to jump into the music scene there. It helped make the transition easier, and I don't think Axl would deny Izzy anything, they probably had some great nights sitting in a run down apartment coming up with songs together, but as far as influence goes I just don't think anyone's done more for Axl than Slash, Slash and Axl motivated each other, it made coming up with guitar riffs fun knowing you had the greatest frontman around to perform behind them and for Axl to trust and believe in the band he needed someone as good as Slash, you can write all the great lyrics and melodies you want but to have someone like Slash took them to another level and for someone as creative as Axl I think it opened up what he could do with their music even more.

in short Slash motivates Axl more than Izzy motivates Axl...but it's all opinion so however you feel or see it is up to you. In a perfect world they'd all be together writing a new album right now. I'm just playing the game of you gotta choose one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

yea I hear you man. Also Axl invited Izzy back before any of them. And not too long ago he called Slash a cancer better removed. As Slash's mom was dying of cancer

Again I feel that's a comfort thing, Izzy can tell Axl to fu*k off, Slash and Axl don't share that. I think the cancer thing was just poor timing, Axl I don't think ever had the motivation to attack Slash in that form. 

I think the comment gets misunderstood bc in the interview Axl is saying Slash didn't want to do any work unless it was his on UYI, he only wanted to do guitar songs where as they wrote AFD writing lyrics and melody first then added guitar to that, so in that interview Axl was saying Slash should have just left after AFD bc he had to deal with the same shit from him that he dealt with in making UYI and dealt with after the tour ended. so Slash to him was just causing too many issues for the band to continue to be productive, of course we saw how productive they were once Slash left...so it's all perspective. Axl would tell you lawsuits slowed him down, but I think at the time Axl failed to see how he was hurting things or if he did notice he was doing it on purpose to be as big of a pain in the ass to everyone as he felt they were being to him. 

But back to now and motivation, I think they both recognize all the time they wasted and for Axl and Slash to have this second chance is great, every performance I feel the other goes out of their way to be their best to kinda say "did you forget how great I am" with Izzy I think it's just a comfort zone that Axl would fall into, so he doesn't need to show him anything. 

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

I have no doubt that Axl is inspired by Izzy. Izzy's songwriting was the backbone of GnR's greatest songs. He's also Axl's closest friend in the band (although it seems like Duff and Axl are really close as well).

With that said, I think Axl is giving it his all on stage right now -- Izzy or no Izzy, we're getting the best performance possible from Axl. It's not 1993....fans need to accept that, as hard as it may be.

Well said man, that is the sad reality.

It seems Duff and Axl are really close now and there seems to be tension between Duff and Izzy now.

Axl is more inspired with fortus.  Having fortus and frank in the band with cd tracks played legitimizes nugnr in a way.  The old band didn't reunite.. Duff and Slash joined new GNR... Hence Axl playing Slash Cd era leftovers for potential new material.  

As as for him not going full rasp.. He said that he wanted to sing cleaner which most fans didn't appreciate and singing clean is better for him than what he's doing now (w acdc)

Also keep in mind Axl doesn't have the same amount of rest dates w GNR that he had w AC/DC so he needs to protect his voice more.  

Axl is moving around and giving a hell of a show that writer is full of shit he hasn't lost any range.  He just protects his voice more.

2 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Well said man, that is the sad reality.

It seems Duff and Axl are really close now and there seems to be tension between Duff and Izzy now.

A tension? Why? Any indication or proof or is it just a speculation?

17 minutes ago, Rayno said:

A tension? Why? Any indication or proof or is it just a speculation?

Speculation I would say

There have been talks that Izzy was not invited or if he was invited them he declined cause of the money. Even before Izzy had problems cause during the illusions Axl wanted to cut down his royalties and the whole band din't find him reliable.

I don't think everything is a coincidence, Izzy who used to be far away from social media, made a twitter account and the first person who he contacted was a RS Editor, then he tweeted and deleted things. Then Izzy working with Matt Sorum at the same time GNR started touring, then Duff din't tweet Izzy on his birthday. 

So well its just a speculation at the moment, but it feels like there is some kind of tension. 

Edited by Slash787
  • Like 2

Uninspired? Punching in a pay stub? The guy is killing it!!! "but! he's not singing with rasp!!!???? all the time!!! he did it with AC/DC" yeah, I hear you! and It would be cool to hear him sing that way with GnR from time to time but! it doesn't change that the guy is bang on key, with power, running around and obviously enjoying every second of what he's doing.

Also, if you notice with AC/DC it depended on what Key the song was in for Axl to sing at his "best". With the AC/DC songs tuned to standard tuning Axl's voice was pushed a bit more, so that break up / gravel came out a bit more. Songs like SCOM might need to be raised up a semitone to challenge him (however, I find this unlikely considering 99.9% of singers tune down as they age not up). Also, As you get older your range changes, some people lose their high range, for Axl it seems like his mid register is the most adversely affected.

I think he sounds great, and i'd happily pay to see him again... although i'd prefer to be seeing him perform new material.

24 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Speculation I would say

There have been talks that Izzy was not invited or if he was invited them he declined cause of the money. Even before Izzy had problems cause during the illusions Axl wanted to cut down his royalties and the whole band din't find him reliable.

I don't think everything is a coincidence, Izzy who used to be far away from social media, made a twitter account and the first person who he contacted was a RS Editor, then he tweeted and deleted things. Then Izzy working with Matt Sorum at the same time GNR started touring, then Duff din't tweet Izzy on his birthday. 

So well its just a speculation at the moment, but it feels like there is some kind of tension. 

Sorry, but I think you are overanalyzing things. Duff's been always looking up to Izzy and his "wisdom", he repeated it many times. He did not tweet him on birthday? Well, maybe he just called him.

Axl probably thinks Adler is a useless idiot who's not the worth the trouble and that Sorum is an obnoxious douchebag.  

And Slash and Duff seem to agree with him going by Adler's whining. 

I do think he adores Izzy though and always will, even if their relationship seems a bit troubled atm. It's pretty clear when you watch them interact with each other.

The tension between them all is probably over-stated on here though. Duff and Izzy only recently worked together, Slash tweeted Izzy on his birthday and Izzy called Axl "bro" in that tweet he deleted lol.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don't really think Izzy puts in the work to be in a huge stadium band. Whereas Slash and Duff have put in the touring and stayed relevant to the GNR fanbase. Ironically Izzy's lack of interest in milking the feud means that his stock isn't as high for a reunion. Slash has had way more success than Izzy, arguably even more successful than Axl. Izzy didn't even try to market himself as Tom Petty 2 or whatever. He's just seen as eccentric, maybe a maverick talent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I don't really think Izzy puts in the work to be in a huge stadium band. Whereas Slash and Duff have put in the touring and stayed relevant to the GNR fanbase. Ironically Izzy's lack of interest in milking the feud means that his stock isn't as high for a reunion. Slash has had way more success than Izzy, arguably even more successful than Axl. Izzy didn't even try to market himself as Tom Petty 2 or whatever. He's just seen as eccentric, maybe a maverick talent. 

I kind of agree with you here.  I think Axl has always admired and cared for Izzy, so whatever their problems right now it's unfortunate.

That being said, Duff and Slash are pros when it comes to working a stadium crowd.  Whereas with Izzy, it's really not his thing.  With Fortus, they have someone who looks like Izzy if you squint and he puts more energy into his performances than Izzy probably would.  Also, the three of them did a large chunk of the Illusion tour without Izzy, so there is already a history of the band being accepted without him. 

If anything has surprised me this year, it's how Izzy has handled this.  I was really shocked when he started that twitter account and publicly reached out to the rolling stone writer.  I thought it was so out of character, it couldn't be him.  I even wondered if it was a girlfriend or an adult child of his that was behind it.  Also recording something with Sorum seems almost like a taunt or bid for attention.  I think it's safe to say Izzy is pissed that he is left out of this. 

It's too bad, because I would have loved Izzy to be a part of it, but I also understand it's a very complicated situation. 

17 hours ago, tsinindy said:

That's the problem right there.  You read an article by a guy who clearly has no idea what he is talking about.  I quote, " It all imploded in the early '90s, with Rose holding on to the Guns N’ Roses name but not much else as he fired everyone in the band but himself."

So, you are going to base your opinion on some hack who is clearly ignorant?

yes, that part was indeed inacurate, i'm going by the review etc 

i still think axl would bring his performance to new heights with the orignals all there