Locomotive vs Breakdown vs Pretty Tied Up

What is best in life?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/3/2016 at 7:35 PM, scooby845 said:

I got you guys (and myself) the hardest task of all - what's better? The intro of Breakdown or the outro of Locomotive? Whoa... I don't think I'll ever be able to answer that question...

I thought this would elicit far more responses...

Edited by scooby845

• 2 months later...

Pretty Tied Up.   Easy decision for me.

The other 2 songs are great, but Axl "ruined" them in the studio. Pretty Tied Up did not suffer as much. 

Great songs. Take Axl out of the studio and the Illusions would have been close to perfect and much more highly regarded today. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Pretty Tied Up.   Easy decision for me.

The other 2 songs are great, but Axl "ruined" them in the studio. Pretty Tied Up did not suffer as much. 

Great songs. Take Axl out of the studio and the Illusions would have been close to perfect and much more highly regarded today. 

Just like the Izzy post-GnR songs?

I went with Breakdown. Really tough call between that and Locomotive but I love the lyrics to Breakdown and I remember it being my favorite GNR song at one point, so that's the tie breaker. What's the ending though? I never really thought of it before but is that a story or poem or something Axl's reciting?

I think PTU is by far the weakest of the three.

Lovomotive is fantastic. It's repetitive by purpose because it mimicks the noise of a train. Axl 's best lyrics, Matt showing how this song is done ( the drum track is miles better than on the demo) and, of course, Slash rips it.

• Like 1

On September 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM, RONIN said:

The outro of locomotive is GnR's greatest composition imho. That's the band at the peak of their powers.

On September 19, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I'd go with the Locomotive outro

That is the best part of the song. Whenever I am pissed or angry, that thing just calms me down. 

I like all three songs and I think they are gems. I didn't like Breakdown much in its time (it was too "epic" for my taste then), but I loved it when I listened to the Illusions again after a long time.

It's a hard choice. I went for Locomotive. Apart from being a great song overall, imo it's the most well aged of the three. It's the type of song that could have survived the grunge era; it's a shame that it didn't get the spotlight it deserved then and it has been relatively unknown to the general rock public.

On 20/09/2016 at 6:37 AM, Modano09 said:

I went with Breakdown. Really tough call between that and Locomotive but I love the lyrics to Breakdown and I remember it being my favorite GNR song at one point, so that's the tie breaker. What's the ending though? I never really thought of it before but is that a story or poem or something Axl's reciting?

The ending is from the movie Vanishing Point. It sounds to me like an Axl self-parody, even if it wasn't his intention (I like to believe that it was).

On 7/3/2016 at 9:28 PM, RONIN said:

Pretty Tied up -- A Stradlin' masterpiece. Cool Ranch Dressing. Trust Izzy to write a song about BDSM and predict the future of Nu GNR (time went by and it became a joke). I wouldn't change a thing about this song -- even the Axl overdubs work well within the confines of Pretty Tied Up (albeit excessive perhaps).

everything you said there about PTU is spot on! plus i love Axl saying in the beginning the perils of rock and roll decadence! :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 1

Locomotive is killer - one of  the best songs bye the band ever- just like hardcore fans love COMA -Locomotive is  just as popular - gotta hear this live - would be killer 

Edited by TMAC20