Locomotive vs Breakdown vs Pretty Tied Up

What is best in life?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From Locomotive I can see why Slash was eyeing the Stone Roses gig.

I agree with others, it was the future sound of Guns. Don't know why there was drama about the direction of the band, when the answer was right there.

A bunch of songs on UYI actually hint at what GNR could have evolved into.

• Like 1

1. Locomotive - I'm not crazy about the voice alterations on some parts as it sounds like Axl put a clothes pin on his nose (though they have grew on me) but musically its great, especially the extended outro that mellows the song.

2. Breakdown - lyrics make me put it over Pretty Tied Up

3. Pretty Tied Up - may be last but its still a kick ass rocker with a solo that will make you want to pick up a guitar.

Edited by -W.A.R-

• 5 months later...

very interesting topic 

im gonna side with PTU solely because breakdown does not beat it and locomotive should but the recorded version is lacking something 

if anyone has ever heard the lost adler tapes on locmotive that my friend is how it should sound and even the live version that they did once is pretty fucking awesome 

but to me nothing beats Pretty tied up, the recorded version and most certainly live - from the get go till the end it's a powerhouse with some pretty fucking entertaining lyrics 

That instrumental sounds great! Thank you.

UYI need to be reissued:

• Remove extraneous layers of vocals and sound fx.
  • Tone done the excess drum reverb
  • Trim down locomotive while they're at it. Good song, but it could be great if it were shorter.
  • Remove Dizzy's keys from certain songs
Edited by yoshimura
tidy up
  • Like 1

i personally think this is the best opener of all GNR time 

the excitement of RIO and GNR being back exemplified by Izzy's key involvement with axl here 

it shows how much GNR thought of the song for it to be opened and as first ever heard 

i really think they consistently mixed up the set list orders amazingly starting with the UYI tour and then it's been the same since 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Locomotive is easily the best. I'm one of the people that likes all the vocals, Slash is amazing, the outro is amazing, my favourite drum sound on any UYI song, probably a top 10 GNR song overall. I really wish they'll eventually swap out Coma for Locomotive, even though Coma's my favourite song I'd love to hear this one live.

Breakdown is great too. It's got a cool vibe and lyrics, the only thing that brings it down is Axl's speech at the end. "There goes the challenger"... Pretty Tied Up is a good song but not comparable to Locomotive or Breakdown. It's not even in the top 5 songs on UYI II (Civil War, Estranged, Locomotive, Breakdown, YCBM).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Locomotive is easily the best. I'm one of the people that likes all the vocals, Slash is amazing, the outro is amazing, my favourite drum sound on any UYI song, probably a top 10 GNR song overall. I really wish they'll eventually swap out Coma for Locomotive, even though Coma's my favourite song I'd love to hear this one live.

Breakdown is great too. It's got a cool vibe and lyrics, the only thing that brings it down is Axl's speech at the end. "There goes the challenger"... Pretty Tied Up is a good song but not comparable to Locomotive or Breakdown. It's not even in the top 5 songs on UYI II (Civil War, Estranged, Locomotive, Breakdown, YCBM).

Personally I think Pretty Tied Up beats the other two for the chorus alone, that switch from the verse into it is one of the best ever GN'R moments for me, Civil War, Estranged and Locomotive are obviously classics but come from a very different place, each being 7-9 mins long, if those epic style songs are more your thing then you're naturally going to prefer them. So of the songs you mentioned, for me, only YCBM is really comparable to PTU for what it does, both songs are top notch, neither would be out of place on Appetite, which is the biggest compliment I can give as it's easily my favourite GN'R record and one of my favourite albums ever. One thing your post proves though, once again, is that UYI II is so much stronger than UYI I. :lol:

1 minute ago, bucketfoot said:

Personally I think Pretty Tied Up beats the other two for the chorus alone, that switch from the verse into it is one of the best ever GN'R moments for me, Civil War, Estranged and Locomotive are obviously classics but come from a very different place, each being 7-9 mins long, if those epic style songs are more your thing then you're naturally going to prefer them. So of the songs you mentioned, for me, only YCBM is really comparable to PTU for what it does, both songs are top notch, neither would be out of place on Appetite, which is the biggest compliment I can give as it's easily my favourite GN'R record and one of my favourite albums ever. One thing your post proves though, once again, is that UYI II is so much stronger than UYI I. :lol:

I actually think UYI I is the better album. Both have some great, top-10 songs but UYI I is way more consistent, where UYI II ranges from epics to a few more good songs to KOHD, My World, Get In The Ring and the other filler... basically all my least favourite GNR songs come from UYI II or TSI? :lol:

Pretty Tied Up is one of the 'few more goods songs', it's not a top 5 but it's better than the rest of the filler the album is packed with. To be fair it's probably the 6th best song on the album.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I actually think UYI I is the better album. Both have some great, top-10 songs but UYI I is way more consistent, where UYI II ranges from epics to a few more good songs to KOHD, My World, Get In The Ring and the other filler... basically all my least favourite GNR songs come from UYI II or TSI? :lol:

Pretty Tied Up is one of the 'few more goods songs', it's not a top 5 but it's better than the rest of the filler the album is packed with. To be fair it's probably the 6th best song on the album.

i actually think its impossible and non productive to rank gnr songs 

mostly all of them (classic era) are fucking sweet

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i actually think its impossible and non productive to rank gnr songs 

mostly all of them (classic era) are fucking sweet

Most of them are great songs but when you've listened to them a thousand times you get an idea of which ones are your favourite. No harm in ranking them really, not like I'm saying any song is bad just because I prefer others over it.

Pretty Tied Up never really did much for me. Not saying it's bad it's just nowhere near the same level as Breakdown or Locomotive. It sounds more like an Appetite left over that didn't make the cut so they just threw it on Illusions as a cool little filler.

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've always thought UYI II was far superior tbh, it just flows a lot better and has the more standout songs for me. I even like GITR, Shotgun Blues and My World which a lot of people seem to not. :lol:

Edited by bucketfoot