Locomotive vs Breakdown vs Pretty Tied Up

What is best in life?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked "Pretty Tied Up" not necessarily because it's a better song musically than Locomotive (it's not) but because it's a fun song that reminds me of something they would have done between the AFD and Lies era...It's a lighter song and considering their current live show is already full of the more serious/deeper songs....I'd enjoy seeing them playing this the most live.  I think it would be a great change of pace song on the current setlist.

Edited by Kasanova King

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I picked "Pretty Tied Up" not necessarily because it's a better song musically than Locomotive (it's not) but because it's a fun song that reminds me of something they would have done between the AFD and Lies era...It's a lighter song and considering their current live show is already full of the more serious/deeper songs....I'd enjoy seeing them playing this the most live.  I think it would be a great change of pace song on the current setlist.

^^^ This. It's easily one of my favourite GN'R songs.

I love all three - they all make it into to my Ultimate Illusion playlist.  Voted for Locomotive, though: I love how the lyrics are also like a runaway train and never seem to slow down until they hit the beautiful coda.  I love the sleaze of Pretty Tied Up - it's like a Stray Cat Blues for the 90s - and the fact that it has no obvious middle-eight...because it doesn't need one.  And I think Breakdown is one of Axl's most underrated songs - I'd take it over November Rain any day.   

On 20/03/2017 at 4:12 PM, yoshimura said:

That instrumental sounds great! Thank you.

UYI need to be reissued:

• Remove extraneous layers of vocals and sound fx.
  • Tone done the excess drum reverb
  • Trim down locomotive while they're at it. Good song, but it could be great if it were shorter.
  • Remove Dizzy's keys from certain songs

None of which should or will ever happen.

On 21 March 2017 at 9:58 PM, AlexC said:

Pretty Tied Up never really did much for me. Not saying it's bad it's just nowhere near the same level as Breakdown or Locomotive. It sounds more like an Appetite left over that didn't make the cut so they just threw it on Illusions as a cool little filler.

But lyrically it's how Izzy saw the band post AFD? 

The fact Axl sang that song is confusing to me. Did he agree? Was he oblivious? He said he wanted Izzy's songs on the albums. It's like he wanted chronicle the demise of the band. 

Breakdown is like that too, it sort of explains what was going to happen. 

UYI is interesting with this tug of war between Axl and Izzy lyrically. RNDTH is Axl losing his mind then Izzy comes in and says that's okay. And so on.