RONIN

Locomotive vs Breakdown vs Pretty Tied Up

What is best in life?   253 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite Illusion rocker

• LOCOMOTIVE
    • BREAKDOWN
    • PRETTY TIED UP (HANGIN' UPSIDE DOWN)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

113 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2016 at 1:40 AM, MisterNo said:

1. PTU

2. Loco

3. Breakdown

For me PTU is overall a better song, but it's way different from Loco or Breakdown.

Pretty Tied Up just does it for me :) 

On 7/3/2016 at 9:28 PM, RONIN said:

Pretty Tied up -- A Stradlin' masterpiece. Cool Ranch Dressing. Trust Izzy to write a song about BDSM and predict the future of Nu GNR (time went by and it became a joke). I wouldn't change a thing about this song -- even the Axl overdubs work well within the confines of Pretty Tied Up (albeit excessive perhaps).

everything you said there about PTU is spot on! plus i love Axl saying in the beginning the perils of rock and roll decadence! :)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
1 person likes this

Locomotive is killer - one of  the best songs bye the band ever- just like hardcore fans love COMA -Locomotive is  just as popular - gotta hear this live - would be killer 

Edited by TMAC20

From Locomotive I can see why Slash was eyeing the Stone Roses gig.

I agree with others, it was the future sound of Guns. Don't know why there was drama about the direction of the band, when the answer was right there.

A bunch of songs on UYI actually hint at what GNR could have evolved into.

1 person likes this

All three of those songs have at least one moment that is cringe inducing.

I think I like Pretty Tied Up the best, I like the guitar work, its simple, and Axl almost doesn't ruin it by saying weird 90s things.

1 person likes this

1. Locomotive - I'm not crazy about the voice alterations on some parts as it sounds like Axl put a clothes pin on his nose (though they have grew on me) but musically its great, especially the extended outro that mellows the song.

2. Breakdown - lyrics make me put it over Pretty Tied Up

3. Pretty Tied Up - may be last but its still a kick ass rocker with a solo that will make you want to pick up a guitar.

Edited by -W.A.R-

Awesome topic! As soon as I read it, I immediately went and listened to ALL 3 right in a row! Any excuse right?!

Here's my ranking (at the moment :lol:)

Breakdown > Locomotive > Pretty Tied Up

Bumping this for the sake of future generations.

the sub-title of pretty tied up ain't "hanging upside down" though

1. Locomotive

2. Pretty Tied Up

3. Breakdown

2 people like this

Just listened to them and my vote goes to Locomotive right now. A masterpiece.

1 person likes this

Im listening to this right now and its just amazing

3 people like this

1. Pretty Tied Up

2. Pretty Tied Up

3. Pretty Tied Up

1 person likes this

Locomotive. It's right up there with Coma as far as lyrics and instrumentation go.

1 hour ago, Słash said:

Im listening to this right now and its just amazing

That outro is gorgeous! So much better without any vocals. Slash's guitar with that piano is just beautiful!

1 person likes this

very interesting topic 

im gonna side with PTU solely because breakdown does not beat it and locomotive should but the recorded version is lacking something 

if anyone has ever heard the lost adler tapes on locmotive that my friend is how it should sound and even the live version that they did once is pretty fucking awesome 

but to me nothing beats Pretty tied up, the recorded version and most certainly live - from the get go till the end it's a powerhouse with some pretty fucking entertaining lyrics 

Posted (edited)

That instrumental sounds great! Thank you.

UYI need to be reissued:

• Remove extraneous layers of vocals and sound fx.
  • Tone done the excess drum reverb
  • Trim down locomotive while they're at it. Good song, but it could be great if it were shorter.
  • Remove Dizzy's keys from certain songs
Edited by yoshimura
tidy up
1 person likes this

Locomotive - Lyrically and musically stunning.

Pretty Tied Up - Nice n sleazy just how i like my R'n'R.

Breakdown - Never did much for me, great lyrics from Axl though.

Pretty Tied Up basically matches anything on Appetite let alone UYI, Breakdown is nowhere near this or Locomotive for me.

Locomotive is my favorite GnFnRs song. I wish they'd play it live this tour.👍

Posted (edited)

i personally think this is the best opener of all GNR time 

the excitement of RIO and GNR being back exemplified by Izzy's key involvement with axl here 

it shows how much GNR thought of the song for it to be opened and as first ever heard 

i really think they consistently mixed up the set list orders amazingly starting with the UYI tour and then it's been the same since 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

Locomotive is easily the best. I'm one of the people that likes all the vocals, Slash is amazing, the outro is amazing, my favourite drum sound on any UYI song, probably a top 10 GNR song overall. I really wish they'll eventually swap out Coma for Locomotive, even though Coma's my favourite song I'd love to hear this one live.

Breakdown is great too. It's got a cool vibe and lyrics, the only thing that brings it down is Axl's speech at the end. "There goes the challenger"... Pretty Tied Up is a good song but not comparable to Locomotive or Breakdown. It's not even in the top 5 songs on UYI II (Civil War, Estranged, Locomotive, Breakdown, YCBM).

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Locomotive is easily the best. I'm one of the people that likes all the vocals, Slash is amazing, the outro is amazing, my favourite drum sound on any UYI song, probably a top 10 GNR song overall. I really wish they'll eventually swap out Coma for Locomotive, even though Coma's my favourite song I'd love to hear this one live.

Breakdown is great too. It's got a cool vibe and lyrics, the only thing that brings it down is Axl's speech at the end. "There goes the challenger"... Pretty Tied Up is a good song but not comparable to Locomotive or Breakdown. It's not even in the top 5 songs on UYI II (Civil War, Estranged, Locomotive, Breakdown, YCBM).

Personally I think Pretty Tied Up beats the other two for the chorus alone, that switch from the verse into it is one of the best ever GN'R moments for me, Civil War, Estranged and Locomotive are obviously classics but come from a very different place, each being 7-9 mins long, if those epic style songs are more your thing then you're naturally going to prefer them. So of the songs you mentioned, for me, only YCBM is really comparable to PTU for what it does, both songs are top notch, neither would be out of place on Appetite, which is the biggest compliment I can give as it's easily my favourite GN'R record and one of my favourite albums ever. One thing your post proves though, once again, is that UYI II is so much stronger than UYI I. :lol:

1 minute ago, bucketfoot said:

Personally I think Pretty Tied Up beats the other two for the chorus alone, that switch from the verse into it is one of the best ever GN'R moments for me, Civil War, Estranged and Locomotive are obviously classics but come from a very different place, each being 7-9 mins long, if those epic style songs are more your thing then you're naturally going to prefer them. So of the songs you mentioned, for me, only YCBM is really comparable to PTU for what it does, both songs are top notch, neither would be out of place on Appetite, which is the biggest compliment I can give as it's easily my favourite GN'R record and one of my favourite albums ever. One thing your post proves though, once again, is that UYI II is so much stronger than UYI I. :lol:

I actually think UYI I is the better album. Both have some great, top-10 songs but UYI I is way more consistent, where UYI II ranges from epics to a few more good songs to KOHD, My World, Get In The Ring and the other filler... basically all my least favourite GNR songs come from UYI II or TSI? :lol:

Pretty Tied Up is one of the 'few more goods songs', it's not a top 5 but it's better than the rest of the filler the album is packed with. To be fair it's probably the 6th best song on the album.