"New" music

Do you think at some point we will get re-recorded versions of Chinese Democracy, This I Love, and Better with the current lineup?  I would've loved if they released them before the tour. It would've given radio play to "new" music and promoted the tour so much better. Frankly, it would be the first time 95% of the radio-listening and concert-attending public would've heard any of these songs anyway. 

I think if there will be new music, it will be Axl, Slash and Duff writing it.

Let's see how this world tour goes. Axl said he played some stuff for the guys and they liked it. Imagine their spin on his songs.

I'm reading Duff's book "it's so easy and other lies" and one thing was for certain, these guys could write amazing music together. Let's hope we see that again.

I dont think we're getting those cd songs re-recorded. ( except live vertions) . but if we do, we may be getting some snakepit/velvet songs as well.  However. Personally, i dont see any of that happening..  But with gnr crazy world, u never know.

I would be willing to bet if new music comes, it would be a combo of some newly written material but there would definitely be Chinese leftovers. Axls not throwing that material away guys, sorry. If he was throwing Chinese democracy era material away and starting from scratch, fortus Frank and the second keyboardist would have been eliminated from the lineup in favor for an izzy and sorum return. 

Like it or not, captain Axl is going down with the ship..

45 minutes ago, mrw80 said:

Do you think at some point we will get re-recorded versions of Chinese Democracy, This I Love, and Better with the current lineup?  

God I hope not.... I never want to hear these songs again.

• Like 1

This is madness. Why would anyone want this? Even if you like the album, surely you want new music?

How many times have these songs been reworked already? How many people have played on them already?

Enough!

This album has sucked so much life out of GNR. At what point are they going to become a functioning, creative band living in the present?

2 hours ago, Babooshka said:

This is madness. Why would anyone want this? Even if you like the album, surely you want new music?

How many times have these songs been reworked already? How many people have played on them already?

Enough!

This album has sucked so much life out of GNR. At what point are they going to become a functioning, creative band living in the present?

It's not madness, it'd be awesome. I'd be all for them re-recording some songs from CD because while I've always liked Better for example, the new version is 10 times better than the old one (Melissa's backing vocals, that epic new intro :drool:). TIL is better now as well. And I want studio versions of that.

Besides, no one is saying they should re-record CD stuff instead of doing something new. But it would be nice if they could also do that with a few songs.

Ideally, I'd like to see:

- an album of newly written music by Axl, Slash, Duff and hopefully also Izzy

- an album of Axl's Chinese leftovers, also with Slash and Duff on them and re-worked as they see fit

- a few songs like Better re-recorded with Slash and Duff, so we get studio versions of this new awesomeness

They can put the re-recorded CD songs onto the CD 2 album as bonus tracks or something. Maybe it's a bit far-fetched, but far more unbelievable things have been happening in GnR land recently and all things considered, 2 albums like that should be perfectly doable (especially considering Axl supposedly already has all this stuff hidden away in a fault somewhere).

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 3

Any effort spent on re-recording CD is going to take time away from creating new material. Unless they do a live album, it makes no sense. And why not apply that thinking to their whole back catalogue, and re-record new versions of songs from AfD and UYI? Lets see what Richard does with Nightrain etc..

This band is treading water, and has been for years. Some fans would like them to become a viable band, living in the here and now. Not one that is seemingly stuck in a time loop, combing over the same songs for almost quarter of a century.

1 hour ago, Babooshka said:

Any effort spent on re-recording CD is going to take time away from creating new material. Unless they do a live album, it makes no sense. And why not apply that thinking to their whole back catalogue, and re-record new versions of songs from AfD and UYI? Lets see what Richard does with Nightrain etc..

Re-recording 1 or 2 songs in not going ti take that much time. 

And the rest of your post makes no sense. Why the fuck would you re-record their whole back catalogue?! Those songs already have Slash and Duff on them and they're mostly perfect already. No need to change anything about them. 

And no one (except a handful of people maybe) gives a fuck about Richard or what he could do, this isn't even up for debate. Some people just want studio quality versions of the Slash n Duff-improved stuff they're seeing live. That's literally it. No need for ridiculous (and pointless) scenarios like re-recording the entire back catalogue again.

The most educate guess would be something like this: reworking of some CDII stuff so that just current members are on it, some brand new tunes, maybe a studio version of The Seeker (i know many of you don't like it, but still...) and here's an album.

When? I'd rather not guess, lol.

18 minutes ago, Frey said:

Re-recording 1 or 2 songs in not going ti take that much time. 

And the rest of your post makes no sense. Why the fuck would you re-record their whole back catalogue?! Those songs already have Slash and Duff on them and they're mostly perfect already. No need to change anything about them. 

And no one (except a handful of people maybe) gives a fuck about Richard or what he could do, this isn't even up for debate. Some people just want studio quality versions of the Slash n Duff-improved stuff they're seeing live. That's literally it. No need for ridiculous (and pointless) scenarios like re-recording the entire back catalogue again.

Go download those live recordings if you want to hear them. There is no need to tread water and record studio versions just because a few hardcore CD fans such as yourself are stuck on those songs. It's just as dumb as re-recording Nighttrain because a minority want to hear Richard's take. And you are a minority.

The OP's question was in regards to the entire CD album. But even if it were a few songs, they are still taking up space on any new album release, when there could be entirely new songs.

Seriously, if there is any new music put out, what is the point of re-recording any song from the past!

20 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Wouldn't re-recording and releasing Chinese Democracy songs mean they'd have to pay some royalties to the 8 or 9 people who had a hand in writing them?

This I Love is Axl solo credit. 

Chi is Freese n Axl

Better is Finck n Axl

But yeah how do Slash and Duff make money on it. They have to write new songs!

No, re-recording CD songs with Slash and Duff would be a discredit of Axl's work and all the people who participated of that album.

I don't think that will ever happen. And I hope it doesn't happen.

Just release a new album with new songs, whatever their origin, if we have not heard them before then they are "new" ;)

I don't think the re-recording of released Chinese Democracy tracks is a good idea. I wouldn't mind them finishing any songs that are unfinished from the Chinese Democracy era though, I really loved Chinese Democracy and would like to hear what else axl and Co worked on. Maybe just releasing them in their current states would be a better idea than finishing them? Although I also agree with the fact that now that Axl, Slash and Duff are back together again new material maybe should be the way to go. I guess what I'm saying is I would like Chinese 2 to be released but that creating new material is probably better for the band as a whole.