The King in Yellow Raincoat

Cameron Crowe riffs on Roadies, Almost Famous, and Axl Rose's yellow jacket

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/24/cameron-crowe-roadies-almost-famous/2

Final question: Through all your years of reporting on bands, what’s the best roadie story you’ve heard?

I heard some roadies talking about how something had to be “yellow-jacketed” and I [asked] “What is yellow-jacketing?” They said, “There was a guy that worked with Guns N’ Roses, and there was a show and Axl Rose needed a yellow jacket that he’d left in England before he would perform. So a roadie was given the job to get on a plane as fast as possible, go to London, find Axl Rose’s yellow jacket, and come back so he could play the show.” The best part about that story is notthat somebody had to go get a yellow jacket for Axl Rose, but that it became such lore among other roadies that it became a verb — to yellow-jacket.

axl-rio5-640x427.jpg

Edited by Silent Jay

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

I thought it was Buckets jacket? 

Same, figured bucket forgot to take it with him after the resignation. 

I guess Axl likes him a good yellow jacket. Via dancing with the devil during a pale moon light 

20 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Same, figured bucket forgot to take it with him after the resignation. 

I guess Axl likes him a good yellow jacket. Via dancing with the devil during a pale moon light 

I always ask that of all my posters, I just like the sound of it. 

Edited by wasted
Batdance remix
  • Like 1

The story is not true, that show was Rock In Rio, in 2011, and there's no way someone could get from Brazil to London (and back) in time for the show.

Actually, there's a story about Axl wanting to play with a "different" pair o jeans at the Rock In Rio Lisboa, in 2006, but someone in the crew forgot some of his bags at the plane, and they got to the aiport just to get it. It was like "hours" before the show. Not that big of a deal.

34 minutes ago, Legendador said:

The story is not true, that show was Rock In Rio, in 2011, and there's no way someone could get from Brazil to London (and back) in time for the show.

Actually, there's a story about Axl wanting to play with a "different" pair o jeans at the Rock In Rio Lisboa, in 2006, but someone in the crew forgot some of his bags at the plane, and they got to the aiport just to get it. It was like "hours" before the show. Not that big of a deal.

GN'R walked on stage at 3AM 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legendador said:

i have no idea if that story is true or not

but what you just said doesnt make any sense

axl can have asked this roadie guy to go to London 3 days before the show, for example

5 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i have no idea if that story is true or not

but what you just said doesnt make any sense

axl can have asked this roadie guy to go to London 3 days before the show, for example

I was there, working closely with the camp (for Rock In Rio in 2006 and 2011), trust me, the yellow jacket story doesn't make any sense.