Frank Ferrer is not a bad musician, the problem is his drum kit tone

19 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Tone aside, for someone who keeps claiming he's been 'in the band' for 10 years, he should know how to play the songs correctly by now !

Axl said the same thing and I'm very happy he acknowledges Frank and Richard when the opportunity is there.

If the rest of the band wasn't happy about his ways of playing the songs, they would have said so.

1 minute ago, NicoRourke said:

Axl said the same thing and I'm very happy he acknowledges Frank and Richard when the opportunity is there.

If the rest of the band wasn't happy about his ways of playing the songs, they would have said so.

That doesn't mean I have to be happy about all that.  They've all done enough stupid things over the years that I don't agree with.  Fans don't have to agree with everything.

I like frank fine enough. Playing every song about 5-10 bpm too fast is pretty off putting, but technically speaking he's great. However, I will never understand what the huge problem is with Matt wherein he wasn't a part of this reunion. 

I feel like they really worked on the tempos since April. I have watched and enjoyed a butt load of videos from the Stadium tour and Frank definitely get's most improved. I could hardly watch any of the April shows. I would still rather Sorum or Adler but the drums aren't a bog sore thumb for me anymore. You see Duff up on his riser a lot and getting on the same page. All this seems to have helped Slash's playing as well. 

Gotta give credit where credit is due..

I do wish he would stay true to some of Matt's fills on songs like NR and Don't Cry.. Not that they are amazing fills but they are iconic songs and those fills are ingrained into my head. Just sounds awkward but doesn't ruin the songs.

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not sure where people are getting that because you can hear Gilby fine as can be seen is hundreds of videos and bootlegs out there.  The only instance I can think of is Rocket Queen ob Live Era where there really is no rhythm track.

Yeah just kidding. To be honest I have only watched the pro shot material of the 80's-90's era

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

I like frank fine enough. Playing every song about 5-10 bpm too fast is pretty off putting, but technically speaking he's great. However, I will never understand what the huge problem is with Matt wherein he wasn't a part of this reunion. 

I think the issue with Matt is the fact that even though Matt isn't the original, he's the illusions era drummer(still part of the classic era of guns n roses '87-93). So the fact he wasn't even asked to partake can rub some people the wrong way. The issue with Frank in comparison is that he's been a member of guns n roses for 10 years, so he represents a hand picked yes man in axls favor. 

On chinese democracy Frank plays on 5 tracks: Chinese Democracy, Better, If the World, There Was a Time, I.R.S.  

Only on the song chinese democracy, he's the only drummer, the other 4 tracks he shares the drums with brain.

The other 9 chinese democracy's tracks are played by brain.

On 05-07-2016 at 9:03 AM, ludurigan said:
On 05-07-2016 at 4:30 AM, slaxl stradler said:

Wrong. Sorry dude, ferrer plays a dw... its hardly a jazz kit, this dw bass drum is small.. his is a 22x18 minimum.. standard rock bass drum..

Ferrers problem is hit interpretation of the songs.. yeah he can play, but he has a habit of hitting too hard when not required and overplaying the beat at times when it should be kept simple.. too many accent and ghost notes.. technically its great.. but its not needed on gnr songs.. perhaps on a new album with new songs sure...but on the existing songs his accents, ghost notesand hard hitting stand out like dogs balls..

EXACTLY!

This is It for me too!!!  In my opinion, if you have iconic songs, Rock n' Roll Historic Masterpieces to say at least... You can't go playng them "your way"... change accents, fillings and stuff...

And I think much of the people who don´t like Ferrer on GNR, finally can get to that as a main reason.

The man can play... that's true, He has a good technique... but he don't deliver the product some of us are waiting from GNR...

It's that simple for me.

• Like 2

On woensdag 6 juli 2016 at 1:24 AM, comboguns said:

On chinese democracy Frank plays on 5 tracks: Chinese Democracy, Better, If the World, There Was a Time, I.R.S. 

Only on the song chinese democracy, he's the only drummer, the other 4 tracks he shares the drums with brain.

That was one of the lamest things on CD : 2 drummers on one track ? what the fuck was that all about ?  Let's delay the album even more by adding a third (Freese was the first) drummer into the mix.  As if ANYONE on earth was waiting on Frank's amazing contributions to the world of music.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2016 at 7:26 AM, NicoRourke said:

I am pretty sure they did because he has obviously made some changes.

"frank is not a bad musician, the problem is his drum kit tone" was the initial hypothesis

I love how this statement, in retrospect, implies frank being a bad musician: Stevens playing has since then shown that there was nothing wrong with the kit's tone.

and if there were, kudos to Steven for making a bad kit sound great.

all of this sounds like a bad football team blaming their humiliating loss on the state of the field (which is of equal stupidity, since the opposing team plays on the same field)

On 5 July 2016 at 0:40 AM, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Brain is the best drummer GNR ever had.

Brent Fitz is ok.

Frank is doing alright, but I'd have liked to have seen Matt get the job.

Brain sounded awful on YCBM. I think people are confusing technical proficiency with feel and soul. Steven Adler is not technically that great a drummer. Nor is Phil Rudd. But they just sound right and for that reason they are the best at what they do in their respective bands

And before anyone says it yes I know Matt played YCBM, I'm just providing an example of when Brain sounded awful with the band

Edited by GibsonLP
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 5:40 AM, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Brain is the best drummer GNR ever had.

Brent Fitz is ok.

Frank is doing alright, but I'd have liked to have seen Matt get the job.

As far as best drummers for GNR, Adler is by far in away the best.  Matt would be better than Frank though I agree, he sounded way better in VR than in GNR so I bet he would fit even more in GNR now

On 09.07.2016 at 7:15 AM, rendestroi95 said:

Are you sure that's the same kit as the one Matt used?

If it is, matt changed the shit out of it, 'cause the sound is very different

More or less it's the same kit. You can hear the exact same tone from this guy's videos. He has a kit that is played and autographed by Matt Sorum.

Just when Frank was becoming acceptable he goes and totally ruined My Michelle.. He fucking BLOWS at that songs.. I just watched it on Periscope and it was awful.. He honestly sounded like he didn't know the song, was just smashing random drums and played it a million miles an hour.. Axl could hardly even keep up.. What a joke he looks like next to Steven on that song.. Pathetic..

• Like 3

On 7/9/2016 at 3:19 PM, GibsonLP said:

Brain sounded awful on YCBM. I think people are confusing technical proficiency with feel and soul. Steven Adler is not technically that great a drummer. Nor is Phil Rudd. But they just sound right and for that reason they are the best at what they do in their respective bands

And before anyone says it yes I know Matt played YCBM, I'm just providing an example of when Brain sounded awful with the band

Fair point, but Brain has the groove and swing of Adler. Objectively, he's an all-round great drummer with the technical chops of Sorum and the groove of Adler -- the best of both worlds. Josh Freese is also an incredible drummer and he is a tasteful player that could easily have done justice to GnR.

The only one that sucks is Frank who is a poor man's Brain.

• 5 months later...
On 6.7.2016 at 1:28 PM, Nikki_Sixx said:

That doesn't mean I have to be happy about all that.  They've all done enough stupid things over the years that I don't agree with.  Fans don't have to agree with everything.

Fans are fans and they don't have to determine what kind of music the band they're fan of makes! Know your place. :)

Not meaning you personally, but there are definitely a lot of "fans" out there which think thy can dictate what kind of music "their" band has to make.