Frank Ferrer is not a bad musician, the problem is his drum kit tone

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

this topic wasn't created by me to talk badly about Frank or anything. I just wanna share my personal opinion. 

I have lots of respect for Frank. It's not easy to sit behind the drumkit for Gn'R. There will always be haters and lovers. I also would like to have Steven back by the way. 

I personally think that Frank is a fantastic drummer and he does his job every night. But one thing is missing. The feeling. You know, there are many drummers out there, technically good and all that, and Frank is definetely in that category, but there's absolutely no feeling. It's like a drum machine. It sounds the same everytime and that's it. Steven Adler for example is totally different. He's much more of a rock n' roll drummer. He has a lot of feeling and you know, it's Steven. There's more life in his drumming. With Matt also. It's because he puts a lot of feeling and swing into his drumming. Frank doesn't do that. But that doesn't mean that Frank is a bad drummer. He's the perfect studio musician, if you want proper drums, but in a live situation it just sounds dead, because it's too perfect. And Rock n' Roll isn't perfect. It's dangerous and there should be lots of room for improvisation and all that. 

I know that this topic has been touched a lot of times here, but I wanted to give it another perspective, without talking badly about him. As I said before, he's a great drummer, but he's so good technically that it sounds absolutely dead on stage. You don't have to be the best technician on any instrument to be the best. You just have to put life into what you're doing. And Steven always did that.

Would like to your opinion about it without talking badly about Frank. He's really a good drummer, but not for GnR. 

Edited by blackmore

Yeah, except that Matt is also a drum machine and the only reason people like him is because he was on the right place at the right time. If Matt were the drummer now and Frank in 1990, it would be the same thing. 

Steven is the only GnR drummer that had something special about his playing, all the others are just robots that can play a thousand notes at a time. Yeah, I'm talking about Josh Freese and Brain too. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, default_ said:

Steven is the only GnR drummer that had something special about his playing, all the others are just robots that can play a thousand notes at a time. Yeah, I'm talking about Josh Freese and Brain too. 

Agree 100%. 

1 minute ago, Słash said:

Brent Snape Fitz is an amazing drummer

@blackmore you should call Ian Gillan and make a Deep Purple reunion happen, if you find Frank so fantastic then you hire him for your Rainbow band

As I said before - in my opinion he doesn't fit into a Rock n' Roll band like Guns n Roses or even Rainbow. He's drumming is too much "robot" like, as default said. But that's just my opinion. There are probably lots of people who like Frank's drumming in Guns n Roses and that's absolutely okay. Would be sad if that wouldn't be the case. 

I like him personally. I'd rate him above Matt Sorum.

His vibe feels like Guns N' Roses to me since he's been in that position for more than ten years. It looked kind of like Slash and Duff had taken him hostage and he's constantly under pressure but continues to deliver, but there was more chemistry with Fortus and Stinson than with Duff.

He's wild, savage and precise. Maybe sometimes they're telling him "not quite my tempo" but overall he knows how to jam anything.

15 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I like him personally. I'd rate him above Matt Sorum.

His vibe feels like Guns N' Roses to me since he's been in that position for more than ten years. It looked kind of like Slash and Duff had taken him hostage and he's constantly under pressure but continues to deliver, but there was more chemistry with Fortus and Stinson than with Duff.

He's wild, savage and precise. Maybe sometimes they're telling him "not quite my tempo" but overall he knows how to jam anything.

"Are you rushing or dragging, Frank?!"

• Like 1

He has a lot surprising element on his style, i can see why it sometimes hit and miss to some people, but i see his already learn how to stay true to some songs while still maintain his flair here and there which is great, he outstanding on CD tracks like TWAT and CITR especially on the convoluted outro part. Axl seems like him personally tho.

FRANK IS NOT STEVEN. simple as that. He has no soul , no suffering ,no happiness or anything in his music or even in his expression.

I don t see the point why he should be in GNR. Same for Matt Sorum. Didn t like him during UYI and don t want him back. Steven is the one and only and a bit of surprise or unpredictable elements are missing in GNR these days.. 

however I will always support them cause there was/is no band or music that means that much to me.

Hi everyone,  Im new to posting but have been reading content here for long enough to know that theres a lot of good insights on here.  

Im hesitant to make an introduction in a 'debate' thread... but here it goes.

What I've noticed in Franks playing is that he plays some drum fills in a way so that the notes overlap each other.  I personally find it distracting.  

An example of what Im saying would be Sorum's infamous "Pat Boone, Debbie Boone" drum fill from the trilogy (yes an axl collaboration).  To my ears it becomes a jumble when Frank plays it, especially in NR.  More "PaBooDebyBo."  But the full sentence is still implied by the drums and anticipated by the rest of the players.  It sound sloppy to me.

I can on one hand understand a drummer deciding to not play the same fill over and over, but Im not convinced he's putting in the finesse, because I think he trips over his fills in other songs too.

And, yeah, if its his tone, then Id agree with others who say that part of being a musician is having an ear for tone.  But one could guess that many different people, from mix engineers to live nation to management, could all be influencing what tone we hear.

I loved the show I saw with him drumming on this tour.  To me more GNR is more GNR! 

Edited by soon
spelling
  • Like 1

Frank is the drummer Axl needed, end of discussion. You may not like his drum fills or his way to play the songs, it's a matter of tastes.
I agree with the ones who say Steven is irreplaceable, but I'm afraid Gn'R now don't want to be a footprint of their past sound. 

15 hours ago, default_ said:

Yeah, except that Matt is also a drum machine and the only reason people like him is because he was on the right place at the right time. If Matt were the drummer now and Frank in 1990, it would be the same thing. 

What is so awful about having perfect tempo as a drummer. What does Neil Peart if Rush know about drumming anyway when he says Sorum is the best at keeping perfect tempo. 

PS sometimes a drum machine is better than a sloppy drummer who overplays fills and doesn't let the song breathe when it's time for the other band members to shine. A drum machine doesn't speed up in song and rush the lead singer to the lint he sounds like shit etc 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

No, the problem is HE SUCKS.

Brent Fitz is not Steven either but he did justice to every single GNR song he played.

I'll never understand why Brent Fitz always rushed the drum intro to YCBM, then immediately fell into the right tempo. He intentionally does it every time and I wonder why. (Unless for some odd reason Slash told him to do it)

Edited by Mendez