Chinese Democracy Secrets

5 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Ironic that Baz's voice is auto-tuned considering how much shit he and Axl were talking about it during that 2006 radio interview :lol:

That is EXACTLY the first thing I thought when I first heard the multi tracks years ago. 

I love the album. I reminds me of hearing the Downward Spiral in surround sound and finding all these things that I had no idea were there. The problem with Chinese Democracy is that for whatever reason it wasn't promoted or explained as being as interested and complex as it is. To the point where I don't know if it's meant to be layered for artistic reasons of they just had so many people adding shit to songs they just squeezed it all in there. It's still too good of an album to have been ended up the punch line it became.

• Like 3

Just now, darkknite63 said:

The I love you bit in prostitute is creepy AF. I think Axl should move on from the Stephanie Seymour thing its been around 25 years now.

To be fair he probably recorded the vocals in 1993 and just added everything else over the next 15 years.

1 hour ago, darkknite63 said:

The I love you bit in prostitute is creepy AF. I think Axl should move on from the Stephanie Seymour thing its been around 25 years now.

I just shit on my pants literally wtf was that! :wow:

:scared:

on a side note, does anyone here know when Axl lived in China for 3 months? what year was that?

3 hours ago, cremefraiche said:

Very cool. The meticulousness that went in to the recording and production of this album is Brian Wilson-esque. What an outstanding achievement for Axl, the catharsis is palpable throughout.

Such a shame the cynical internet generation didn't even give it a chance when it was released. Makes ya think that if they released the EXACT same album with the current line up it'd do a lot better commercially and critically simply because it's slightly cooler to like GNR in 2016 than it was in 2008.

Definitely one of my all-time favourite albums, top 20 for sure. 

It was more of the cynical fans who wanted Slash back in the band that hated it. The reviews were favorable and it did well on the charts. 

I fucking love Chinese Democracy. This video just shows how much work was put into it. Regardless of the fact that certain people did not play on it, it's still a Guns N Roses record to me. A natural progression from Use You Illusion.

• Like 1

I feel like there's 3 versions of CD (on one cd). Unless you are into intense production it's not easy to get into. 

An acoustic kind of version of CD might give the songs more air to breathe. Acoustic synth pop with Axl's vocals. That's why a remix album might actually do well these days without the stigma of the name and feudlore. 

I wonder if that is where CD II is. They have recorded parts but how do you mix it. Even if you take CD tracks and strip them down, like Prostitute Piano and Vocals was great. 

CD works as a towering OTT rock album but most people just want a tune and vocals. 

Edited by wasted
3 for 1

39 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I fucking love Chinese Democracy. This video just shows how much work was put into it. Regardless of the fact that certain people did not play on it, it's still a Guns N Roses record to me. A natural progression from Use You Illusion.

A 3-cd box set of Cutting Room Floor stuff would be great. Audio of Bucket live in the chicken coop playing Sorry solo. CD is like a Pyramid, all you can do is look at it and say wow how did they build that?

• Like 2

We know he's finicky about sound, but it must hurt his ears when he hears MP3 copies of the back catalog. He knows Beats was a scam even though we probably would see Guns N Roses Beats at some point, but I can't see him wearing them.

24 bit remasters likely for all the albums - I'm sure Neil Young pitched his Pono a couple of years ago.  

axl-rose-headphones-ultrasone.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wasted said:

A 3-cd box set of Cutting Room Floor stuff would be great. Audio of Bucket live in the chicken coop playing Sorry solo. CD is like a Pyramid, all you can do is look at it and say wow how did they build that?

I definitely agree about the cutting room floor box set. Would be a good way to satisfy fans of Chinese Democracy while not angering fans that want new music. 

On 7/5/2016 at 5:32 PM, Blake Sabbath said:

No, no I didn't! Maybe I should immediately then?

yeah man its not crazy in-depth like you may be hoping for but its still very informative....i learned allot from it 

its gonna take you a few weeks to read it as it goes from 93 to 08

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I love the album. I reminds me of hearing the Downward Spiral in surround sound and finding all these things that I had no idea were there. The problem with Chinese Democracy is that for whatever reason it wasn't promoted or explained as being as interested and complex as it is. To the point where I don't know if it's meant to be layered for artistic reasons of they just had so many people adding shit to songs they just squeezed it all in there. It's still too good of an album to have been ended up the punch line it became.

I really doubt the layers are there by accident. Were they adding layers on layers? Not really they rerecorded parts, not really adding more and more layers. 

But what I think might have happened is they recorded a lot. So there was a lot of instrumentation to edit or work with. Catcher seems like a good example when guitars subside then there's that keyboard part. Maybe the harp on Sorry was lost. But is that the emphasis being put on the dynamics of the songs rather than the instrumentation. So it's s balancing act on some songs. 

My feeling is a lot of it comes through. The acoustic on TWAT is there, you can hear a lot if you listen. If,of course, you're looking for more hard rock product it's not that. 

Maybe the ground work for CD wasn't laid. Some reviewers were still looking for AFD 2 or a reunion record maybe. 

Who killed Sgt. Pepper?

Edited by wasted
Brian

9 hours ago, Ghostie said:

I hear "I love you" along with "Slash". And I've always heard "Slash" there. Both sort of backmasky.

9 hours ago, killuridols said:

I just shit on my pants literally wtf was that! :wow:

:scared:

on a side note, does anyone here know when Axl lived in China for 3 months? what year was that?

Where do you hear "Slash"? lol

I only hear the I love you thing, something else and then something that maybe could be "Seymour". And I agree, it's creepy if he intentionally put that in there. Time to get over her, dude :facepalm:

"I love you Slash" on the other hand would be pretty entertaining :awesomeface: But sadly I don't hear it.

Edited by Frey

2 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I definitely agree about the cutting room floor box set. Would be a good way to satisfy fans of Chinese Democracy while not angering fans that want new music. 

Maybe in 10-20 years. I feel like the scene is set for GNR's 2-cd Zooropa-type album. 

14 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

A book about the making of Chinese Democracy running alongside the implosion of the music industry would be a best seller. 

If I had more time - writing this would be a life goal, plus all the crazy stuff that's happened in the forums since 2000! Kickstarter maybe?

5 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Prostitute is definitely not a song I ever want to listen to again. First time I ever heard it and oh my god it is woeful. And I even like some tracks off CD. Definitely some of Axl's worst work.

It took me time to get used to Prostitute, somehow I can relate to the lyrics, but over all the song could have been better. The re re re re recording of the song just fucked it up and the rawness went away. 

• Like 1

When CD was released, some of the songs or well most of them had been leaked before, when the album came out the only song I really loved was This I love, it was on repeat for me.

Other songs are good too, but it took me time to get used to them. 

Better is a song which really grew up on me and it has become my personal favourite now and now with the new intro it has become better.

Twat is also a great song, somehow I can relate to it.