Chinese Democracy Secrets

Will always love this album.  Just too many brilliant ideas on it to pretend it's not great. 

The lame thing is that even if it is essentially more or less a "solo" effort by Axl, it gets judged not for the music but because of the simple fact that Slash & Duff are not on it.  Which would be like listening to VR (or really any of the myriad of solo efforts) and immediately saying "Pfffft, no Axl? Fuck this!!"  Waaaayyy too many people had that attitude about Chinese Democracy, and missed out on some insanely good music.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Will always love this album.  Just too many brilliant ideas on it to pretend it's not great. 

The lame thing is that even if it is essentially more or less a "solo" effort by Axl, it gets judged not for the music but because of the simple fact that Slash & Duff are not on it.  Which would be like listening to VR (or really any of the myriad of solo efforts) and immediately saying "Pfffft, no Axl? Fuck this!!"  Waaaayyy too many people had that attitude about Chinese Democracy, and missed out on some insanely good music.

yes, it is sad like that and even now, when you read the reviews from the shows the writers will dismiss CD songs by calling them all turds and bathroom time. I get so angry when I read such an ignorant thing. I can't understand the hate over that album. It is ok if some people don't like it but why the hate? Just because Slash is not on it? Is he the only talented musician in the world?

It is all so very unfair and frustrating because thanks to those idiots we've been left in the dark. Axl never cared to promote it. He says no one wants to hear what he has to say about CD (which is partially true) so he doesn't see why he should even bother talking about it :cry:

I wish someone could make him understand there are many fans who want to know more about it, if he could write something special for us, it'd be great.

• Like 2

ChiDem is not something that you'd put on for background music at a pool party. 

Axl shouldn't feel let down about ChiDem because it's been 7 years since the release and he's probably still getting his head around Slash and Duff playing songs that they scoffed at him (or so he may have thought at the time). 

I really don't understand the argument of disliking Chinese Democracy because it isn't "just a rock record". I've seen it people say that quite a few times. It was obviously never intended to be just a rock record. I'll never understand why you'd just want to listen to that type of music exclusively. I mean, I enjoy rock music obviously, but I like to listen to music that has a bit more meaning than just being about rocking out. Maybe I'm being ignorant or something but I honestly feel like people who hate this album for that reason, or just because Slash and Duff aren't on it, are the ones being ignorant. I know I'm looking onto this as someone who didn't wait all those years for it to come out and so my opinion will obviously be different. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I really don't understand the argument of disliking Chinese Democracy because it isn't "just a rock record". I've seen it people say that quite a few times. It was obviously never intended to be just a rock record. I'll never understand why you'd just want to listen to that type of music exclusively. I mean, I enjoy rock music obviously, but I like to listen to music that has a bit more meaning than just being about rocking out. Maybe I'm being ignorant or something but I honestly feel like people who hate this album for that reason, or just because Slash and Duff on it, are the ones being ignorant. I know I'm looking onto this as someone who didn't wait all those years for it to come out and so my opinion will obviously be different. 

I don't mind experimentation to a degree but when one of your favourite bands take that long to release something so alien to what you knew it's a little hard to wrap your head around as you alluded to at the end of your post....add to that the songs just didn't live up to the past in quality. In the time it took he could have released CD, a back to basics rock album and an album of acoustic tracks or something.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I really don't understand the argument of disliking Chinese Democracy because it isn't "just a rock record". I've seen it people say that quite a few times. It was obviously never intended to be just a rock record. I'll never understand why you'd just want to listen to that type of music exclusively. I mean, I enjoy rock music obviously, but I like to listen to music that has a bit more meaning than just being about rocking out. Maybe I'm being ignorant or something but I honestly feel like people who hate this album for that reason, or just because Slash and Duff aren't on it, are the ones being ignorant. I know I'm looking onto this as someone who didn't wait all those years for it to come out and so my opinion will obviously be different. 

I have two main complains, They did all this endless re-recording, but why didn't Axl re-record some of the vocals that were subpar like on CITR? He was capable of so much more vocally then he showed on CD. My other complaint is that some great riffs are hidden underneath the wall of sound. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Axl owns dexter said:

I have two main complains, They did all this endless re-recording, but why didn't Axl re-record some of the vocals that were subpar like on CITR? He was capable of so much more vocally then he showed on CD. My other complaint is that some great riffs are hidden underneath the wall of sound. 

in my opinion Madagascar and SofD are also very subpar vocally. Compare them to something like Sorry or Shacklers where the vocals sound so polished.

1 hour ago, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

If that album was stripped down and a little rough around the edges, it would've been undeniable to all GN'R fans.

I think the acoustic version of Better by Bumblefoot is stunning, much prefer it to the album version.

Edited by Silverburst80

7 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I think the acoustic version of Better by Bumblefoot is stunning, much prefer it to the album version.

I prefer the album version. Probably because Finck and Buckethead are my favourite GN'R guitarists. 

But Bumble's remix is way better than the one from DJ.

On 7/5/2016 at 4:24 PM, xBrownstonex said:

the "axl playing guitar part" is real? I mean, is there this guitar on the song? i didnt listen to this song more than a dozen times but i just dont remember ever listening to that

doesnt axl realise that if he adds 18 millions instruments over a guitar track he will bury it and also bury the FUN?

===

it looks like that all it takes for the axl solo album to sound a lot better is to remove 90% of the uselles tracks

On 7/6/2016 at 2:49 PM, sofine11 said:

The lame thing is that even if it is essentially more or less a "solo" effort by Axl, it gets judged not for the music but because of the simple fact that Slash & Duff are not on it.  

you are wrong

its judged by the music and the music is a mess

On 7/6/2016 at 8:31 PM, Axl owns dexter said:

My other complaint is that some great riffs are hidden underneath the wall of sound. 

wall of sound? there is no wall of sound on this album

there is a 18-million-tracks-mess-of-sound on this album 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

the "axl playing guitar part" is real? I mean, is there this guitar on the song? i didnt listen to this song more than a dozen times but i just dont remember ever listening to that

yep. starts at 2:37 in the studio version playing underneath the lead guitar part

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

doesnt axl realise that if he adds 18 millions instruments over a guitar track he will bury it and also bury the FUN?

===

it looks like that all it takes for the axl solo album to sound a lot better is to remove 90% of the uselles tracks

you are wrong

its judged by the music and the music is a mess

No...No, you are wrong and you have obviously have horrendous taste in music. Sucks I bet.

On 7/5/2016 at 0:24 AM, xBrownstonex said:

The I love you message to Stephanie,w hat is that part? I can barely make it out. Also, some of that stuff is awesome. I wish the CD weren't as layered as it turned out to be

I wish we could hear all the other Bucket stuff. There's hours of finished and unfinished stuff from all those years that we may never hear, or not for decades. It's just crazy that there are Bucket and Robin songs from 15+ years ago we haven't heard :(