Very long, very negative article in Vulture about reunited GNR

He sported a flannel shirt firmly tied around his waist for the whole show, probably to mask an ample backside.

that line stood out for me too...  like, excuse me last i checked, axl is a MALE, and men don't have "ample backsides" like, ever WTF! :blink:

the line really should have said: 

"He made an unfortunate wardrobe decision, sporting a flannel shirt firmly tied around his waist (worn UNDER an oversized black t-shirt) for the whole show, creating the illusion of an ample backside (and frontside)." :drool:

This sounds like it was written by someone in middle school.  About the only thing the article was good at was grammatical mistakes.  A lot of them.  I mean, what does "you couldn't helping thinking about" mean?  And the dude couldn't use a comma or parenthesis right to save his life.  Hey dude... check out the following website.  You could use it:

www.hookedonphonics.com

also, i swear, every negative-ish review seems to always be written by some leftover axl hater who takes cheap shots at xyz that don't even make sense... at least they used a decent picture of him though, that's nice...  :drevil:

Edited by superfrut

Well to give him credit at least he didn't trot out the " Guns n Roses were the biggest band in the world until Nirvana came along" which is re-hashed at nauseam by every music journo and actually correctly states they were still one of the biggest bands in the world at that time. The rest seems like a fat shaming article full of half truths and butt hurt.

Does even the general public need another generic GNR history lesson?

Not a well written article IMO. I agree that the exciting thing about a GNR reunion was always the promise of new material though, not a second UYI tour. 

Edited by Ant

40 minutes ago, Clouse Wilhelm said:

"*the original version of this article misidentified Steven Adler as Stephen Adler."

says all you need to know about this fuckwad of a "journalist"

This.

Shitty article written by a whiny douche of a person pissed off they can't get laid. And unfortunately, sometimes it's easier to get laughs and readership by ripping and making fun of versus complimenting. 

There is crap on this article specially the fact that the author seems to believe that fat people are a lower-type of people or something

and there are factual errors

but...

Over the last 20 years, the fecklessness of his bandmates put him, the group's most unstable member, in possession of the band's name. The other Gunners were either kicked out for excessive drug use or left after getting fed up with Axl's personal buffoonery, which generally took the form of provoking fights, beating up his girlfriend, missing or being late for shows, and generally being a hellacious asshole. 

(...)

For this tour, Rose was joined by bassist Duff McKagan and guitarist Slash, for a total of three of the band's five original members. This trio was buttressed by a Stradlin look-alike, Richard Fortus, on guitar; a couple of keyboard players, one of whom looked like an anime character; and a decent if ingratiating drummer, Frank Ferrer. (For all the competency that this aggregation displayed, there's a different feel when you have a real rock band, with five equal members, playing, rather than a few famous front men backed by submissive session folks.) 

(...)

Then came 20 years of Axl in the wilderness — a very dumb wilderness populated by a paranoid assclown with too much money. An album called Chinese Democracy had already been announced. An early producer was, incredibly, Moby, who didn't last very long. Even more incredibly, Geffen started doing things like advancing Rose a million dollars to try to induce him to get an album together. Then came the producer known as Youth. Then a Nine Inch Nails mixer named Seth Beavan. Davis claims that at this point there were 1,000 CDs and DATs of Chinese Democracy working tapes — and that was just by 1999.

Rose kept recording and occasionally toured, with a constant revolving door of sidemen and producers; the vast majority couldn't take it and left or were fired (...) Buckethead came in and said he could only record if he was built a chicken coop in the studio to work in. It's been estimated Rose ultimately spent $13 million on the album.

A fair person has to concede that parts of the result, which finally came out in 2008, sounded great, but Chinese Democracy as a whole has jarring tonal inconsistencies. (...) And, in any case, there was nothing like a good song on the album, the cover sucked, and there were clumsy marketing agreements with Best Buy and Dr. Pepper, to boot. Rose toured, intermittently, with various sidemen (...) sometimes missing shows or starting hours late.

(...)

And so, some 20-something years after the Use Your Illusion tour, Guns N' Roses are … where? They are performing successful gigantic shows, Rose's vocals are a decent simulacrum of the originals, and Slash's solos as articulate as ever. (...) I went back and looked it up, I found that the Chicago show contained all but a handful of the tracks they played on a typical night in 1991 or 1992 — and all of the high points were identical, right down to The Godfather theme.

In other words, over 20 years, Guns N' Roses have not added a single significant song to their repertoire, much less an actual trick. For two decades Axl Rose dicked around, driving away his friends and bandmates and playing with a guy who wore a bucket on his head. And now he's back. He and his fellows in one sense deserve the decent reviews they are getting; at the same time, to paraphrase the noted philosopher George W. Bush, isn't this cursing the band with the soft bigotry of low expectations? Should you get credit for clawing your way back to the top when you were dumb enough to throw yourself off the cliff in the first place? Should Axl Rose get a gold star simply for showing up on time? Are Guns N' Roses anything more than a nostalgia act?

(...) The Guns N' Roses show in Chicago had exactly the feel of a band that had been told, "Look, what part of 'Go up onstage, smile, and play the hits, and we'll give you a million dollars each' do you not understand?" 

A 3,000+ word article in a few sentences:

"Has a rock band ever fallen off as hard as Guns N' Roses? By the way, this article is about how they're playing sold out stadiums 20 years after their prime."

"They were a bunch of degenerate fucks who recorded an incredible record with multiple classic songs ("that's probably overrated, despite selling 30 million records"), then this gem (about GnR Lies) - "Leaving aside the degenerate attitudes, Rose was singing in an unattractive low register, and the songs weren't any good. It was the band's second album, and they were already putting out strikingly subpar material." ( :lol: ), then a few sentences about how the UYI albums are overrated, then a sentence about TSI. Also the "Fat Axl" meme isn't even talked about...until the second paragraph of the entire article, and gets a longer write-up than the UYI albums. Also there's a lot of mis-information. The end."

Edit: lol at this part - "The Guns N' Roses story is one of rock's grimiest and stupidest." ...it's sad that someone actually got paid to write this shitty of an article for a major publication. I would've done it for free.

PS - Bill Wyman wrote the article. Lot's of free time now that he's not in the Stones, I guess.

PPS - I realize it's not that Bill Wyman.

Edited by Crazyman

Just now, Crazyman said:

A 3,000+ word article in a few sentences:

"Has a rock band ever fallen off as hard as Guns N' Roses? By the way, this article is about how they're playing sold out stadiums 20 years after their prime."

"They were a bunch of degenerate fucks who recorded an incredible record with multiple classic songs ("that's probably overrated, despite selling 30 million records"), then this gem (about GnR Lies) - "Leaving aside the degenerate attitudes, Rose was singing in an unattractive low register, and the songs weren't any good. It was the band's second album, and they were already putting out strikingly subpar material." ( :lol: ), then a few sentences about how the UYI albums are overrated, then a sentence about TSI. Also the "Fat Axl" meme isn't even talked about...until the second paragraph of the entire article, and gets a longer write-up than the UYI albums. Also there's a lot of mis-information. The end."

Edit: lol at this part - "The Guns N' Roses story is one of rock's grimiest and stupidest." ...it's sad that someone actually got paid to write this shitty of an article for a major publication. I would've done it for free.

PS - Bill Wyman wrote the article. Lot's of free time now that he's not in the Stones, I guess.

PPS - I realize it's not that Bill Wyman.

I agree that this article sucks, but this was NOT written  by the former Stones guitarist.

I did not find the article so bad and - unlike some here - I failed to discern (if the interest ever existed) the ratio of the author's sexual encounters from this trivial piece on a fluff band!!

Some people do not like Guns and Roses. I do not understand why people here cannot accept that. He wrote a piece on The Basement Tapes which was very well written.

• Like 1

If you don't like GNR or take some deeper interest then that is probably what you get. 

One thing I would disagree is that Lies or any of the music missed the spot. With Izzy writing you could record a record in a trash can and the songs are good. Maybe same with Slash guitar work. 

Careerwise they did what they needed to do. It's a theory. 

Edited by wasted
Hype machine

7 hours ago, Clouse Wilhelm said:

"*the original version of this article misidentified Steven Adler as Stephen Adler."

says all you need to know about this fuckwad of a "journalist"

OHMIGOD!!!  HOW COULD ANYONE MAKE THAT MISTAKE?!?! :lol:

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I did not find the article so bad and - unlike some here - I failed to discern (if the interest ever existed) the ratio of the author's sexual encounters from this trivial piece on a fluff band!!

Some people do not like Guns and Roses. I do not understand why people here cannot accept that. He wrote a piece on The Basement Tapes which was very well written.

It's hardly the academy of arts and letters over here :lol: