Best Shows GN'R - 2016

1 hour ago, Epson said:

Imo every new show is better than the previous ones.

I feel the same way. Having only been to 3, I'd rank them in reverse order that I saw them for a few reasons:

1) Chicago Night 2 - Axl sounded even better than Detroit, the band was a little more loose than Detroit.

2) Detroit - Band was super tight, Axl didn't sound quite as good as I hoped (not bad at all, just not as good as Chicago and Vegas overall). 

3) Las Vegas Night 2 - Axl in a chair, but still did great. Band was very off here and there. Crowd was amazing as expected though.

I honestly was very disappointed with all the April shows. I didn't think they sounded anywhere as good as they should have. I was at the first Vegas show and it was a great time but the performance itself was sub par to what I would expect from GnR..  I would watch videos from those shows and besides a few select songs I couldn't even enjoy them and would shut them off. Meanwhile I was watching the shit out of AXL/DC....

Detroit changed everything.. I still think there is plenty of room for improvement but that show showed that they put in some work and weren't fucking around..

I'd have to go with Detroit for now although all the shows since have been close to if not as good it seems.

Steven showing up in Cinci made that one a quick #2.. I would rate it #1 but from the videos I saw they weren't quite as tight that night.

Hopefully the first Foxboro show blows them all the fuck away..

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I honestly was very disappointed with all the April shows. I didn't think they sounded anywhere as good as they should have. I was at the first Vegas show and it was a great time but the performance itself was sub par to what I would expect from GnR..  I would watch videos from those shows and besides a few select songs I couldn't even enjoy them and would shut them off. Meanwhile I was watching the shit out of AXL/DC....

Detroit changed everything.. I still think there is plenty of room for improvement but that show showed that they put in some work and weren't fucking around..

I'd have to go with Detroit for now although all the shows since have been close to if not as good it seems.

Steven showing up in Cinci made that one a quick #2.. I would rate it #1 but from the videos I saw they weren't quite as tight that night.

Hopefully the first Foxboro show blows them all the fuck away..

Agree on the April shows, it just felt like nugnr still...Detroit kicked off the real Guns N Roses shows and it's been awesome since.

but my top 3 are:

1. Chicago

2. Cincinnati 

3. Mexico City night 2 (different set, crowd was great, band sounded amazing) 

also Axl/DC still kicks ass...that's the best of Axl

Edited by IncitingChaos

I haven't been following the shows. I don't listen to the streams or watch that many videos (I still have not seen the Adler appearance).

The only show I've listened to in full is April 9 Vegas (Matrix) and it's pretty cool. I also watched the proshot Coachella videos. Axl sounds lile he has the last few years but with Slash and Duff in the band.

The reason for this is, I know the set list but it will be fairly fresh next Saturday in Toronto.

They keep getting better and better. All these shows are legendary... Trobadour and Vegas run for the hype, Detroit and the Chicago run for sheer awesomeness, Steven in Cincinnati. .. etc

I've attended 3 shows since April and they're the top 3 shows I've seen out of well over 100

I'd say the last 2 shows were the best. Watched most of them, but haven't been to any of them. I clearly see though that Slash is getting more and more loose and confortable, and Axl's performanes steadily rising in terms of both vocal quality and stage presence intensity. Also, Adler.

• Like 1

The 2 shows I got to see (Vegas 1 & KC) aren't gonna show up on this list, but I'd like to give honorable mention to Vegas 1. Not because the band was the best it's been (of course not), but fuck me if that didn't feel like an old time dangerous GnR era show. The buzz outside the arena was incredible. People from around the world just fuckin everywhere (the whole weekend for that was incredible). Standing in line for merch, everyone was just fuckin out of their minds excited. Then the doors didn't open for over an hour late (later learned to be due to throne logistics), in a steady rain, with the natives getting restless, starting to bang on the glass doors. I thought T-Mobile might not survive the night. Then a pretty long delay after AIC. People around me spouting rumors of Axl & Slash fighting during sound check, Axl throwing a mic at him, and Slash wasn't even in the building. Ridiculous shit going around. Then finally! The lights went down, and it was the unveiling of Axl on the throne!

Consider how amazing that performance was by Axl. Sitting in a chair for a show for the first time ever in his life, at one of the biggest shows of his life, one week into a broken foot with a screw in it (pain had to be sick). Ah fuck it- lets bust out Coma while he's at it... I'll always be amazed and impressed as a motherfucker by his performance that night.

So although Vegas 1 isn't getting much love on this list, if you were there and disappointed, considering the circumstances, I don't know what else to say...

• Like 2

I don't care what anybody says -- that very 1st full show in VEGAS was magical. Sure, there might be musical improvements that have naturally occurred over the next 3 months of playing together, but none of the shows since can touch April 8th when nearly 20,000 got to see the AXL, SLASH and DUFF on the same stage for the 1st time in 23 years. I'm sure the TROUBADOUR was also magical, but it wasn't a full show and most of us didn't get to see it, whether it be in person or via periscope/youtube.

I can't wait for the SF show in August. I'm sure it will be better musically in some spots than VEGAS was. But it still won't be able to top the ambiance, excitement, or anticipation of that initial performance. Not only that, unlike these current shows where the vast majority of the attendees are from the general region, the 2 VEGAS shows had fans flying in from all over the world. I met fans from New Zealand, Australia, Germany, UK, Canada, Mexico, Columbia, Africa, etc.

All factors considered, I still put the 1st VEGAS show as the very best. Admittedly, I am biased, but I at least have seen every subsequent performance with the exception of one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

The 2 shows I got to see (Vegas 1 & KC) aren't gonna show up on this list, but I'd like to give honorable mention to Vegas 1. Not because the band was the best it's been (of course not), but fuck me if that didn't feel like an old time dangerous GnR era show. The buzz outside the arena was incredible. People from around the world just fuckin everywhere (the whole weekend for that was incredible). Standing in line for merch, everyone was just fuckin out of their minds excited. Then the doors didn't open for over an hour late (later learned to be due to throne logistics), in a steady rain, with the natives getting restless, starting to bang on the glass doors. I thought T-Mobile might not survive the night. Then a pretty long delay after AIC. People around me spouting rumors of Axl & Slash fighting during sound check, Axl throwing a mic at him, and Slash wasn't even in the building. Ridiculous shit going around. Then finally! The lights went down, and it was the unveiling of Axl on the throne!

Consider how amazing that performance was by Axl. Sitting in a chair for a show for the first time ever in his life, at one of the biggest shows of his life, one week into a broken foot with a screw in it (pain had to be sick). Ah fuck it- lets bust out Coma while he's at it... I'll always be amazed and impressed as a motherfucker by his performance that night.

So although Vegas 1 isn't getting much love on this list, if you were there and disappointed, considering the circumstances, I don't know what else to say...

I responded to the thread before I read this. You beat me to the punch. I agree completely with everything you say here. I just don't think any show from this point on is going to top that 1st show for all the reasons we both stated.

Sure, if/when IZZY gets back up on stage with STEVEN and the other 3, it's going to be historic and special and all of the above. But it still won't capture the shock, surprise, anticipation, etc. of that very 1st time AXL, SLASH and DUFF got back together in front of an arena sized crowd for the first time in nearly a quarter century. You can't recapture that again .. not unless they go another long stretch w/o playing together which obviously can't happen.

3 hours ago, thunderram said:

I don't care what anybody says -- that very 1st full show in VEGAS was magical. Sure, there might be musical improvements that have naturally occurred over the next 3 months of playing together, but none of the shows since can touch April 8th when nearly 20,000 got to see the AXL, SLASH and DUFF on the same stage for the 1st time in 23 years. I'm sure the TROUBADOUR was also magical, but it wasn't a full show and most of us didn't get to see it, whether it be in person or via periscope/youtube.

I can't wait for the SF show in August. I'm sure it will be better musically in some spots than VEGAS was. But it still won't be able to top the ambiance, excitement, or anticipation of that initial performance. Not only that, unlike these current shows where the vast majority of the attendees are from the general region, the 2 VEGAS shows had fans flying in from all over the world. I met fans from New Zealand, Australia, Germany, UK, Canada, Mexico, Columbia, Africa, etc.

All factors considered, I still put the 1st VEGAS show as the very best. Admittedly, I am biased, but I at least have seen every subsequent performance with the exception of one.

It was definitely an exciting time. The fanbase was buzzing, it was intense. Things have kinda died down since.

16 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

It was definitely an exciting time. The fanbase was buzzing, it was intense. Things have kinda died down since.

I don't think anything has died down for anyone who has attended a live show... Quite the opposite I think judging by the threads from each show.

7 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I don't think anything has died down for anyone who has attended a live show... Quite the opposite I think judging by the threads from each show.

Obviously, people fortunate enough to attend a show will still feel the buzz. But those early shows were momentous for everyone.

Chicago 2nd show

Washington (Has the best quailty videos by far)

Cincinnati

Worse shows not that they are bad

Coachella 1st show

Vegas 8th

Edited by Gibbo

• 4 months later...

AXL/DC in Hamburg. Now I know this topic is about GNR but if you guys couldn't make it to any of AXL/DC shows you'd missed something more than the reunion. Not in this life time title fits to Axl/DC much more than reunion.

With Reunion you have Axl's half assed vocal effort / Slash / Duff jerking off the same songs over and over again.

With AXL/DC you had Axl's 80s vocal on top + whole set of never before sang Axl songs....

Though I still go to Dubai show but nothing comparable to above mentioned...

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 2

Dodger 2nd, although I am completely biased in saying that.  However I would like to thing I am objective enough to evaluate the performance which I do think was one of Axl's best vocally complete with a great setlist and Steven Adler