Axl's best year vocally? Your opinion :)

What year/era represents Axl best vocally?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Requiem16 said:

The best color of his voice was in 1986-1987. In 1988 Axl`s voice was damaged, he said that his voice in Lies was the worst. 1989-1990 he wasn`t in a good shape. 1991 was a hard year for Axl because he rushed his voice to the limits. In 1992 he had some better sounding but it seems too flat for me. In 1993 his voice became too sharp and he lost some size of the voice.1994 - funny thing because if you listen to Come together perfomance you can hear that Axl had a very weak power in voice. Absolutely powerless. IMHO, Live era overdubs are the best Axl perfomance in years. 2000-2002 clean voice was too boring. 2006-2007 era - strong perfomances. 2009 - 2010 too disastrous for his voice. 2011 - 2013 the lowest point of Axl`s voice. Breathloss and powerless are his sisters in that time. 2014 had some great moments but there are too few of them. 2016 seems to be better than 2011-2013.

As for AC-Dc Axl made some great perfomances. Voice is powefull and touches your rock-n-roll soul.

If some have interest in deeper diving through Axl voice i can do some review ( i`m a singer and can give some tips)

Wow he said that about Lies?, You're Crazy and One in a Million are two of the most powerful vocal performances he's ever given imo. I think he sounds immense on that record in general.

• Like 3

On 10/07/2016 at 7:54 AM, F*ck Fear said:

1986- 1988. I'm sorry but he never sounded better than that time period.

Here here!!

And 1992 since that's when I saw them live.

Gotta say thou he is killing it in this tour. 

8 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Wow he said that about Lies?, You're Crazy and One in a Million are two of the most powerful vocal performances he's ever given imo. I think he sounds immense on that record in general.

His voice was ill during recording but he was technical enough to sound raspy

I voted 93 but keep in mind,

if you swap the voices round it won't work like it has. Give him a 93 voice in 88 it won't have the effect it did. So in that respect every era is his best vocally as his vocals changed with the band

Said it in an earlier post: Axl at the 1987 Ritz show is the best he has ever sounded.

2006 was definitely the best of the post-UYI era. "Sailing" in London is a top-10 single song performance from him.

But yeah, 1987 and 1988 are downright nasty great. All-time great voice right there.

• Like 1

When it comes to raspiness- 2010 obviously

Range- 2002

Energy-1987

Personal Favourite- 1993

BUT... when it comes to the clear/clean voice used on Chinese Democracy that devolved into 'mickey' and his HIGH raspy voice... I honestly think he's singing the best he's ever sang. His rapsy high notes are much more resonant than 2010, and have much more control pitch-wise, and don't have that ugly nasal tone that UYI made famous. His mid-range is his sole issue (think ALL THAT YA GOT, TO FOOL THE NATION, WHEN ALL I'VE GOT IS PRECIOUS TIME), and he's kind of starting to lose the notes at the VERY top of his range.

On July 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM, onurbayrak03 said:

. 2:40 he sounds EXACTLY like 90's. Thats why 2010 is better imo

But that's also literally how he sounded ALL of 2006, in addition to the fact that he had toned his voice to hit the mid-range notes from CD.

Lies was phenomenal. His vocals on One in a Million is probably the best he's ever sounded studiowise. Also if you look at his live performances from 88-89 he's never sounded better. Especially his performance on the late show/tonight show (whatever its called) where they perform You're Crazy and Used to love Her, is some of the best signing I have ever heard by anyone ever. So powerful and controlled with insane range.

1992 is a close second. The Paris show was unfuckingbelievable especially Civil War.

His work with AC/DC also needs to be included especially on the Brian Johnson material. Seeing that live in person was magical.

Honourable mention for 91. Just because he sounded fucking possessed.

• Like 1

I honestly think that he doesn't sound good right now. With the exception of a few songs. He tore right through the AC/DC catalogue with such venom. I saw moments that I haven't seen from him since the 90's. But that same venom is what I'm missing now. I'm still hoping for 2006/2010 Axl (a mix of that would be perfect). But I think his vocals were at his best between 87 and 91. 2010 comes second for me.

1 hour ago, UcudBmine said:

I honestly think that he doesn't sound good right now. With the exception of a few songs. He tore right through the AC/DC catalogue with such venom. I saw moments that I haven't seen from him since the 90's. But that same venom is what I'm missing now. I'm still hoping for 2006/2010 Axl (a mix of that would be perfect). But I think his vocals were at his best between 87 and 91. 2010 comes second for me.

and I honestly believe if he wanted to sing every song full rasp like in 10, he could.. look how all of sudden he started nailing the patience outros after Nashville show

first minutes the outro

He probably watched this V the night before and saw that the outros supposed to be full rasp because he wasn't singing it like this a week earlier.. 

he also stopped running during it because even in 06-10 it fucked it up when he ran

Edited by spliff

On July 10, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Slash787 said:

1985 to 1990 was the best year, everything was perfect.

2006 and 2010 were good too but the band sucked

2016 is a really good year too, everything sounds how it should sound. 

Ha.  Listen to November rain. Or the "but who am I to tell you that I've seen any reason for you to stay.." in Coma..

The shows are fun. But unfortunately ten years too late. Too bad. 

Edited by drtydane

31 minutes ago, drtydane said:

Ha.  Listen to November rain. Or the "but who am I to tell you that I've seen any reason for you to stay.." in Coma..

The shows are fun. But unfortunately ten years too late. Too bad. 

Don't nitpick. Listen to the "what the fuck is going on" from the same song and it sounds awesome. Overall right now he sounds brilliant, certain parts of certain songs are not as good but they're by no means bad. It's not ten years too late at all.