The Seeker

Because they like playing it. That's the simple answer that no one wants to accept. Axl and co. have always voiced their fondness for other music, and Axl's enthusiasm for performing with AC/DC only further illustrates it. For whatever reason, this is a song that resonates with Axl at the moment, and he uses his opportunity to perform in front of thousands of people to share it. I imagine that even if I had written a lot of my own material that people wanted to hear, there are songs that mean a lot to me by other artists that I would want to share with a crowd. So, yeah, while I'd rather hear an original GN'R song, I'm happy to indulge Axl for one song out of a two and a half hour set.

• Like 1

I was second row in Nashville and it was the first time I heard them play it and I thought it was awesome. You could tell they were having a blast doing it and I felt that sort of rubbed off on the crowd a little. I have no problems with it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PFunk said:

It's a song without much screaming, using axl's lower register.  I always assumed it was just to give his voice one last bit of rest before going all out on paradise city.  

So... Kind of like Patience. There's an idea - stop all this rotating Patience in and out nonsense and replace The Seeker!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gnr>everything said:

Because they like playing it. That's the simple answer that no one wants to accept. Axl and co. have always voiced their fondness for other music, and Axl's enthusiasm for performing with AC/DC only further illustrates it. For whatever reason, this is a song that resonates with Axl at the moment, and he uses his opportunity to perform in front of thousands of people to share it. I imagine that even if I had written a lot of my own material that people wanted to hear, there are songs that mean a lot to me by other artists that I would want to share with a crowd. So, yeah, while I'd rather hear an original GN'R song, I'm happy to indulge Axl for one song out of a two and a half hour set.

Yeah, it's clearly a "for us" song

If you look at The Who's setlists this year, when they play The Seeker it's generally in the first two or three songs.

And regardless of it being a cover, that's the point I'd make about GNR including it in the encore. It would be like putting It's So Easy there. Some songs just aren't made for that point in a show.