Anyone tired of hearing AFD and cover songs live?

I wouldn't mind if they play all of afd in its entirety.Top 5 album all time for me personally.From start to finish it's kicks ass.Just about all the songs translate well live too.Only one I don't personally care for is Paradise City ,I dig the tune just not how it's played now.Would love to see the covers replaced by some of their own stuff.Lots of stuff off uyi(s)or lies I would personally love to hear in their place 

18 minutes ago, gt72 said:

I wouldn't mind if they play all of afd in its entirety.Top 5 album all time for me personally.From start to finish it's kicks ass.Just about all the songs translate well live too.Only one I don't personally care for is Paradise City ,I dig the tune just not how it's played now.Would love to see the covers replaced by some of their own stuff.Lots of stuff off uyi(s)or lies I would personally love to hear in their place 

I believe that we may see that sometime next year for the 30th anniversary of appetite. I think they are hitting the US first because of the demand to see Axl and Slash again. After this leg of the tour, they know they'll easily be able to sell out stadiums overseas and in South America. Next summer, it will be much harder to do a US stadium tour without a new album. This is why I think we'll get the full AFD reunion next year. It could be a small set featuring the UYI essentials as well as some CD and a cover or two, where fortis and frank all involved. Then comes out Izzy and Steven  and they play AFD in its entirety. I really think this is a possibility. Motley Crue did Dr. Feel good in its entirety on its 20th anniversary as well as a small set of greatest hits,Fans seemed to love it. Remember where you heard it first lol!

Guns N' Roses of the past 15 years didn't have Slash and Duff in the lineup with guest appearances of Steve Fucking Adler!

So to answer the question, no I am not.

The set list is great! All the hits, many of the fan favorites with a few deep cuts like Coma, and a few Chinese tracks. It's unbeleivable.

They throw us hardcores a bone here and there but the set is tailored to Joe Sixpack and that ain't gonna change anytime soon. I'm more concerned this is the farewell "the end" as axls shirts say. I have never seen these guys play those songs live so it's electric. I'll admit if this is still the status quo 3 yrs from now it'll be disappointing, but a handful of shows in? No just no. Let the world see this live- it hasn't happened since the 90s. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

The so-called "fake band" was responsible for bringing very rare songs onto the setlist. Songs like Civil War, Estranged or Yesterdays.  That was the foundation for the setlist on the "Not In This Lifetime…Tour"

Lmao. 

The foundation of the setlist are songs that Guns n fuckin Roses wrote themselves. Covers of songs in the setlist consist of KOHD, LALD, The Seeker,Chinese Democracy, TIL, and Better. These are songs GNR did not write.

The songs that people are paying to hear are the hits that they wrote. The fake band  had nothing to do with those songs. 

You might as well have claimed that some GNR tribute band brought the songs onto the setlist.

6 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Nobody cares what Axl did with his fake band for 20 years. The fact of the matter is that Guns n Roses is playing AFD and UYI material for the first time since 1993. There have only been 6-7 shows. How in the hell can we get tired of hearing AFD live if we are hearing them for the first time in 23 years?

Unbelievable.

This is probably trolling, but I take the bait.

Those songs have been played to DEATH by whatever outfit related to GN'R. Whether it was NuGuns, Slash's bands, Steven's, etc. - I understand it's special to see the guys who wrote the album playing it together but still. Those songs are old. We die hards know them inside out. I can understand people that want something fresh. Like some UYI material, I'd like some more CD material, and a new song or two would be magnificent :-)

• Like 4

I'd prefer 10 CD tracks. The whole live sound of this line up sounds like Nu Guns 2002. Kind of sloppy but like liquid mercury. They could do a killer Oh My God. It's the keyboards and Slash noodling with Duff makes it dark, funky and chaotic. It doesn't seem as hard driving rock as UYI tour. It's like sound that is ready for new material. When we hear it it will make sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Lmao. 

The foundation of the setlist are songs that Guns n fuckin Roses wrote themselves. Covers of songs in the setlist consist of KOHD, LALD, The Seeker,Chinese Democracy, TIL, and Better. These are songs GNR did not write.

The songs that people are paying to hear are the hits that they wrote. The fake band  had nothing to do with those songs. 

You might as well have claimed that some GNR tribute band brought the songs onto the setlist.

As far as i am concerned the lead singer and one of the mainnsong writers wrote the Chinese Democracy songs which were released under the name Guns N' Roses. Shit on them as much as you want, but they're not covers.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

Ahh -- I didn't consider that. Fair point -- AFD songs being played by the originals is indeed something to savor. I'm just more of a UYI fan. It would be epic to hear Locomotive and Don't Damn Me live.

You're king of the internet for today! Totally agree on Don't Damn Me & Locomotive. I'd love Shotgun Blues too, but Don't Damn Me deserves its live debut! Hell even Get In The Ring!

I think their setlist has been pretty solid for their amount of work and personally theres no better concert closer than Paradise City in the history of music but I'm so over Its So Easy & Mr Brownstone as they've been played in every one of the Gunners side projects as with "Wish You Were Here".

My wish list is for sometime during this tour is for them to play:

Don't Damn Me (Never played live!)

Pretty Tied Up (Needs to be brought back for a show)

Shotgun Blues (Don't think its been played live)

Get In The Ring (Also Yet to debut live EVER)

Slither (sometime soon!)

Starlight (Cuz Axl would rape it and do great on it!)

And if Axl feels up to it "My World" lol ;-)

Edited by SlashElvisTCB
  • Like 1

Well, it is a small discography - minuscule - because they refuse to put out new albums. Axl simply will not put out a new album!!

Five original GN'R albums!! Imagine if The Stones stopped releasing albums after Between the Buttons - their fifth? The setlists would comprise the same songs, i.e. no Gimmie Shelter, Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Angie, Miss You, Star Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, etc etc. Stones fans would regard that a crime. Imagine if any group your care to cite simply ceased releasing new material after circa the fifth album? 'DC would be stranded somewhere around Powerage, i.e. no Highway to Hell, Back In Black, Hell's Bells, For Those about to Rock or Thunderstruck!!

So yes, Appetite is an incredible album but it is a perfectly legitimate opinion to have tired of it a bit.

• Like 2

Seems like the same old bitching about the setlist to me. People like to hear AFD songs so they play them. They apparently like to play the Seeker so the play it. Axl likes to play CD material and lots of fans want to hear them, so they play them. Coma has been played and more deepcuts will probably be played in the future. There's very little to complain about.

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, it is a small discography - minuscule - because they refuse to put out new albums. Axl simply will not put out a new album!!

Five original GN'R albums!! Imagine if The Stones stopped releasing albums after Between the Buttons - their fifth? The setlists would comprise the same songs, i.e. no Gimmie Shelter, Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Angie, Miss You, Star Me Up, You Got Me Rocking, etc etc. Stones fans would regard that a crime. Imagine if any group your care to cite simply ceased releasing new material after circa the fifth album? 'DC would be stranded somewhere around Powerage, i.e. no Highway to Hell, Back In Black, Hell's Bells, For Those about to Rock or Thunderstruck!!

So yes, Appetite is an incredible album but it is a perfectly legitimate opinion to have tired of it a bit.

Five is a stretch if you think about it. I mean Lies is barely an album, and CD  is barely Guns...at best.  So it's really three albums. Their whole legacy is three full-length albums.

• Like 1

Having been to 3 shows on this tour, I'm not gonna act like there's not room to complain/wonder about the setlists. We have to remember that no one else outside of these forums goes to multiple shows, let alone watches every show on YouTube/Periscope. They have to keep stuff like the majority of AFD around for all the people who are seeing one time only.  You hear the crowd pop in every single SCOM video? That's why it's played every night.

• Like 1

They should remove the covers, I don't have a problem if they play KOHD like in the illusions days.

They should seriously add some new songs, GNR has played new songs much before its official release also. So adding 3 new songs would be really awesome. 

The amount of money they are charing on tickets, they should at least add some new stuff. 

• Like 3

I heard AFD last 30 years from so many sides, you can bet I am sick and tired of it.

Breakdown, Locmotive, Pretty tied up, Bad Apples, Dead Horse, Don't damn me, Back off, Perfect crime, Right next door, Get in the ring...

or even TSI, Black leather, Ain"t it fun,...

sooooo much fun to choose from

• Like 1

^^ Agreed, and that was my point -- there is still a wealth of material to choose from off UYI.

It feels lazy to just play mostly AFD and covers -- but I guess a lot of people here prefer that. They also have commercial considerations with the mainstream concert goers wanting to hear scom and paradise city for the millionth time. Apparently there are people grumbling during Coma - go figure.

I can't imagine how boring it must be for artists to play the same shit day in and day out. Michael Jackson played the same set lists as well -- 30 yr old hits night after night. A more interesting live act was Prince who always varied his set lists -- his "purple rain" hits weren't even played each night. That said, he had a wealth of music to choose from unlike GnR and MJ.

11 hours ago, moreblack said:

If you want to reduce the number of people going to the shows, then by all means cut AFD songs from the set.

Fair point but wouldn't you rather hear the locomotive coda instead of The Godfather theme or Wish you were here? 

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Fair point but wouldn't you rather hear the locomotive coda instead of The Godfather theme or Wish you were here? 

That's not a fair comparison though because Godfather and WYWH are both meant to be vocal breaks, and to replace them with a song that has vocals is probably not gonna work for Axl.

A lot of bands mix up their set lists and play a bunch of different songs on their tours.

Unfortunately, Axl is not one of those artists. He seems more comfortable just sticking to a basic set list.

Which is odd, because in the old days the band was playing tons of songs off of Illusions before those albums were released.

And Axl once said that he never wanted to be a musician that just lived off of the old songs. Wonder what changed his mind about that. Bummer for the fans that he did though.

12 minutes ago, moreblack said:

That's not a fair comparison though because Godfather and WYWH are both meant to be vocal breaks, and to replace them with a song that has vocals is probably not gonna work for Axl.

I mean just a band jam like the one they did in Paris with Jeff Beck.

People miss this band and they want to hear songs from the discography even if it's only in instrumental form.

GnR is a great cover band but I think there is a lot of material in their own vault that can be mined.

With that said, I guess they are doing these covers more for Joe sixpack and less for us diehards.

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

They should remove the covers, I don't have a problem if they play KOHD like in the illusions days.

They should seriously add some new songs, GNR has played new songs much before its official release also. So adding 3 new songs would be really awesome. 

The amount of money they are charing on tickets, they should at least add some new stuff. 

That's exactly it

Nobody is saying to drop SCOM and JUNGLE. Keep the 15 staple popular songs, and then just mix things up a bit with the remaining 5 open slots. Rotate a couple new songs through the set, and rotate some of the songs that they haven't done live in forever. Perfect Crime, Yesterdays, Breakdown, Locomotive, The Garden.

• Like 2