Anyone tired of hearing AFD and cover songs live?

we don't live in the '70s anymore where people still LISTENED to music in stead of capturing everything with their smartphones and trying to act all hipster and being all fashionable. a 30 minute solo like jimmy page with led zeppelin? wont happen. people have an increasingly decreasing amount of patience these days.

the music industry has changed, the audience has changed, the musicians themselves have changed.

only thing staying the same here is the small but vocal hardcore fanbase, which makes up, i dunno... 10% of the audience? they have to be able to sell the tickets to that 90% who only have their greatest hits album. these songs are on that album: jungle, sweet child, patience, paradise, heavens door, civil war, YCBM, dont cry, november rain, LALD, yesterdays, aint it fun, since i dont have you, sympathy.

you'll see that most of the setlist is taken from this (shallow) tracklist, but its the album most people will have. a song like LALD which raises some eyebrows to the hardcore fan, probably is played because its on their greatest hits album. i dont like the track very much personally, never did. too cheesy for my liking.

you can say all kinds of things about the setlist, but at the end of the day many people in this touring circus need their profit, or it just wont happen at all.

So while i would certainly change a thing or two about the setlist, i'm realist enough to see why they play those songs.

5 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Five is a stretch if you think about it. I mean Lies is barely an album, and CD  is barely Guns...at best.  So it's really three albums. Their whole legacy is three full-length albums.

I thought I would let them off the hook with Lies: I'm struggling already, with trying to make this paltry discography bigger than it actually is haha!

16 hours ago, RONIN said:

Before I get killed here, let me preface by saying I'm not bitching about the setlist, and I love AFD. The world loves AFD. Axl has been touring AFD for the last 15 years and well -- it's hard to make 30 + year old songs sound fresh when they are played constantly on tour for the past decade and a half.  

There are so many great original songs on UYI that could be easily rotated in that would breathe new life into the setlist. Would anyone care if "Live and Let Die" was retired for "Don't Cry"? Or Mr. Brownstone retired for "Perfect Crime"?

Don't Cry is the first song the band ever wrote and one of their biggest hits (only NR and SCOM have more views on youtube) and yet The Seeker gets more play than this. Why?

My point is, there are so many awesome UYI songs that could be played instead of the AFD and cover heavy setlists. Needless to say CD songs could easily get the boot and not be missed. UYI is GnR's magnum opus -- it deserves more play on tour. 

I know what you're saying! and I can kinda see where you're coming from. 

However, when you're physically at the show and they kick into to It's so easy or Out ta get me, you're still going to lose your shit, just like when they play Jungle. Yeh, maybe Brownstone could take a leg or two on the bench, as well as a few others, but the problem is that AFD is by far GnR's most popular album. UYI is popular but the deeper cuts are much lesser known, Yeh! they could go out and play bad obsession, you ain't the first, move to the city, dust n bones, 14 years, breakdown, locomotive etc. but are any of those songs going to go over as much as Rocket Queen or almost any other AFD song? I don't think so... and I love each and every one of the songs I just listed. 

Live and let die is a staple of the set, it's a great pyro song and the crowd alway love it: and I've seen it a good few times and watched it numerous times on youtube etc. but I still enjoy it and think it's a great song to add after a soppy ballad like TIS or NV.

Also, if they cut down on the AFD songs they'll have to fill the spaces somehow and eventually you'll have the same issue if they play loads of UYI era material... so you can't really cut out CD material altogether. 

A good middle ground is for them to become a little less dependant on the cheap thrills that AFD gives an audience, take out a few tired old songs and add some new songs or some old ones and work a little harder. There's more than one way to shape a set-list and It doesn't have to be 70% hits... but on this particular tour? they really need to stick to the old familiars! if they end up on a 2nd go around? change it up!

I never get tired of hearing AFD it's the equivalent of "Never Mind The Bollocks" it was a game changer. Like The Sex Pistols, Guns not only made a music statement they made a fashion statement & even made tattoos cool. 

I'd gladly axe the godfather theme... that's a complete snore fest :sleeper: at least raw power is fast and quick, god father is long, drawn out and not particularly interesting... a good piss break, but that's it. I still maintain that the type of jam they did with Move to the city was the best of both worlds, big break for Axl in the middle and Slash gets to widdle away until he gets the nod from Axl. Having The godfather and Wish you were here is just self indulgent... it's ALMOST (not quite at the level) as bad as having to listen to those crap DJ solo pieces... the difference being that Richard and Slash can actually play their instruments.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I always saw The Godfather as a definite highlight, going off the old band shows and Slash's solo career (as I've not really kept up with this 2016 thing). Slash at his best.

I was hoping he would come up with something new and fresh but it is still cool and he plays it different every time. I haven't watched many videos of it this tour but tuned into one yesterday actually and it was great.

i have no idea what Axl sang past '93 until this tour. I'd be really pissed off if they didn't play AFD stuff as i happen to think it's a timeless album. Not really liking the CD one thats not called CD(can't remember the title)I don't even mind the covers.

As for new music i hope we get some and i hope it's more like AFD than CD.

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The more Appetite songs the better as far as I am concerned. I don't care if Axl has been playing them for the last 15 years, I wasn't paying attention. He hasn't played these songs with Slash, Duff and Steven in decades though and it is great. Play all 12 of them every show and I wouldn't complain..

They are a little heavy on the covers though.. Would love if if they ditched The Seeker and Wish You Were Here for some more classic Guns songs. 

i could get behind them ditching KOHD as well...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

For this specific tour,I think the selection and sequence of the setlist is genius! Don't get me wrong,I have my own dream setlist and certain songs I would love to be played just like everyone else.But this is a stadium tour attracting all different ages of fans all across the board.I imagine from GNR's perspective,in order to cater to a mixture of 50,000-60,000+ hardcore fans,casual fans,non fans that go anyway. Night after night they play for over 2 and half hours of just enough material to please every fan that night the best they can and they are doing a damn fine job I think.(EXAMPLE:Im happy we get Coma! So many casual fans in Chicago looking bored during that tune I remember,all of a sudden song is over,Slash solos Godfather then BOOM!!! He starts SCOM,whole sold-out stadium crowd gets LOUD!! All fans in general very happy).We'll see how the tour progresses by how much the set will change,I imagine very little...

GNFNR IS LIFE!

i'm pretty sure this setlist will stay mostly the same for the rest of the tour. however i would LOVE to be completely wrong. i was surprised as hell seein Steven take the stage that first night in Cincy, more surprises like that *coughIzzycough* would be most welcome IMO :headbang:

• Like 1

They should have about ten more songs learnt that they interchange nighty, say 'Locomotive' for 'Coma', or 'Bad Obsession' for 'Double Talkin' Jive' - similar to what they do with 'Patience' and 'Don't Cry' infact but on a larger scale.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The more Appetite songs the better as far as I am concerned. I don't care if Axl has been playing them for the last 15 years, I wasn't paying attention. He hasn't played these songs with Slash, Duff and Steven in decades though and it is great. Play all 12 of them every show and I wouldn't complain..

They are a little heavy on the covers though.. Would love if if they ditched The Seeker and Wish You Were Here for some more classic Guns songs. 

Completely agree with this.

Having said that, I do also agree that it would be refreshing to hear some of the lesser performed UYI tracks. Performing Coma and DTJ was a nice step in that direction.

To this day, I still don't understand why Don't Damn Me has never been performed, even during the UYI tour days. Great lyrics, great riff, and a fantastic song. Makes no sense to me why it's never been showcased.

• Like 2

Alternative setlist:

Perfect Crime

Pretty Tied Up

IRS

Bad Obsession

Ain't it Fun

If The World

Think About You

Catcher in the Rye

Dead Horse

Breakdown

Garden of Eden

So Fine

You're Crazy

Dead Flowers

The Garden

Locomotive

Madagascar

Back Off Bitch

Sorry

Dancin' in the Moonlight

Move to the City

There was a Time

They have enough material. 

Nope. Love all the GNR songs and love their version of covers.

Just wish they would play other songs from UYI and other covers like "Sympathy for the Devil" and Hair of the Dog.

Also "Get in the Ring" and "Back off Bitch" would be awesome to hear live!

Otherwise still love GNR songs probably until the day I die.

And I'm very anxious to see how Slash plays the CD songs live. Since I've never seen these guys play in the 80's and 90's, it'll be like a whole new experience for me and my family.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more to say

I think there should be less cover songs, and some others like rocket queen, KOHD, and double talkin jive are just stretched out to be longer than necessary. Cut down on be times of those songs and start throwing in a slither or sorry or a different illusions song like perfect crime or something we haven't heard in a long night time...

So yeah Ronin, I'm sick of covers. But not the appetite material because we haven't heard this lineup play it in a long time. Also, they should have Adler play the appetite material and let Frank handle the rest 

5 hours ago, wasted said:

Alternative setlist:

Perfect Crime

Pretty Tied Up

IRS

Bad Obsession

Ain't it Fun

If The World

Think About You

Catcher in the Rye

Dead Horse

Breakdown

Garden of Eden

So Fine

You're Crazy

Dead Flowers

The Garden

Locomotive

Madagascar

Back Off Bitch

Sorry

Dancin' in the Moonlight

Move to the City

There was a Time

They have enough material. 

I like the way you think but with this setlist people would be heading for the doors.

Edited by ironmt

In an ideal world, my ideal setlist would be:

It's So Easy

Nightrain

Welcome to the Jungle

You're Crazy (lies)

Perfect Crime

Garden of Eden

Right Next Door to Hell

Don't Damn Me

Dead Horse

Pretty Tied Up

Locomotive (extended outro/band jam)

Breakdown

Civil War

Coma

ENCORE

Used to Love Her

Don't Cry

It would probably kill Axl, but it would be the greatest concert in this lifetime.

• Like 1

There seems to be a few more songs been prepared. I think Nice boys, used to love her are part of it. Even slither from VR. As the tour evolves and the guys get the groove of playing together i don't see why other songs shouldn't be added.

I would love to see an acoustic set of a few songs.

On 7/11/2016 at 10:07 PM, Sosso said:

Are you serious? That's not the sense of a tour, man.  They are touring through a lot of cities and visitors would be very dissapointed if they don't have a constant setlist.

I think it says something about the forum that my, what should be obvious, sarcasm is taken seriously.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd gladly axe the godfather theme... that's a complete snore fest :sleeper: at least raw power is fast and quick, god father is long, drawn out and not particularly interesting... a good piss break, but that's it. I still maintain that the type of jam they did with Move to the city was the best of both worlds, big break for Axl in the middle and Slash gets to widdle away until he gets the nod from Axl. Having The godfather and Wish you were here is just self indulgent... it's ALMOST (not quite at the level) as bad as having to listen to those crap DJ solo pieces... the difference being that Richard and Slash can actually play their instruments.

I took my piss break during the show, whipped it out and pissed into my old beer cups. Everyone in our row did it...I mean come on you're not gonna miss GNR!

11 hours ago, Jnfnps! said:

There seems to be a few more songs been prepared. I think Nice boys, used to love her are part of it. Even slither from VR. As the tour evolves and the guys get the groove of playing together i don't see why other songs shouldn't be added.

I would love to see an acoustic set of a few songs.

Agreed on this.  Different tunes as a nod to everyone's past/Scott would be cool/interesting (don't have to do more than 1, but replace something that's been seen before or otherwise overplayed in other areas such as WYWH/Layla/KOHD/LALD), and an acoustic set would be a cool break for Axl / build tension back into end of show/encore.  They have so many cool tunes to do acoustically - Dead Flowers (yes it's a cover but somewhat rare/fun/short), Patience, You're Crazy (awesome underplayed song), Used to Lover Her, could prob rearrange/breathe new life into KOHD..., or another interesting cover like they did with "Don't Let it Bring you down" by Neil Young.  Rotate 3/4 of those then kick back into the main set.

Overall they're definitely playing what they feel is best for the big crowds so the tour sells well.  I really feel like there's more room for some interesting stuff (Slash on Madagascar, TWAT or IRS) from CD, or a few more UYI rockers/lesser played from Appettite.  ("Anything Goes" would be fun, etc)

The setlist is perfect for the people at the show. Only crazy internet fans are disappointed as they want more deep cuts. 

Lald is a song that gets fans pumped. Kohd is great for audience participation.

The jams are just a quick breather for themselves an the crowd.

It's a show at the end of the day. You wouldn't go see a stand up comedian and expect a new set of jokes every night, or see a play with a different ending each night.

The shows will more or less be the same for the rest of the tour. 

On 7/11/2016 at 0:33 PM, Apollo said:

A lot of bands mix up their set lists and play a bunch of different songs on their tours.

Unfortunately, Axl is not one of those artists. He seems more comfortable just sticking to a basic set list.

Which is odd, because in the old days the band was playing tons of songs off of Illusions before those albums were released.

And Axl once said that he never wanted to be a musician that just lived off of the old songs. Wonder what changed his mind about that. Bummer for the fans that he did though.

Watch out now. People will tell you that you aren't a "true fan"if you question the setlist. I got my hopes up once that Opie guy said they've rehearsed every song they know which was probably a bit of a stretch but I'm still hoping for more variation especially in markets where they play back to back shows.