Anyone tired of hearing AFD and cover songs live?

I got appetite in 87 when I was in 3rd grade.I wore out several tapes and then u know how cds get scratched so I bought the CD a few times over the years too.This thread is blasphemy.It's the only album I've never gotten burned out on.Nashville was a religious experience for me.I like most every other gnr freak from back in the day would have loved to see the original lineup play those 12 songs.I was hoping for Anything Goes but I'm not complaining.2016 is like a time machine has took us back to the good ol days.I just hope we get a new album while the iron is hot.

The took out Out Ta Get Me last night and it was a serious hit to the set list. The more Appetite the better!!!! I just looked at the set list and I would have taken Out Ta Get me over any other Non Appetite song on there.. 

They should start playing more LIES while they are at it.. Screw The Seeker and 3 CD songs a night.. Two is more than enough.

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

I was just making a point. Play Jungle, SCOM, PC and NR then go wild. 

If GN'R operated like Neil Young you might see PC, Jungle, etc one night, only to see them replaced with Crash Diet and By the Sword the next night, then three new 'unreleased' songs the night after. Just this year Neil has played 67 - I repeat, 67 - different songs. Expect that number to go up as he completes his final few dates. This is fairly normal activity for Neil, who has played mountains of unreleased songs live (he is a joy for bootleg hunters) and has sets of infinite variety, deep cuts galore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If GN'R operated like Neil Young you might see PC, Jungle, etc one night, only to see them replaced with Crash Diet and By the Sword the next night, then three new 'unreleased' songs the night after. Just this year Neil has played 67 - I repeat, 67 - different songs. Expect that number to go up as he completes his final few dates. This is fairly normal activity for Neil, who has played mountains of unreleased songs live (he is a joy for bootleg hunters) and has sets of infinite variety, deep cuts galore.

Well, let's not get our hopes up. 

But they have songs to vary it significantly. Maybe that is the future of their touring. Like The Stones did I think at some point. They sort of just kept reworking their hits. This slant, that slant. 

Izzy kind of brings a few different songs. I wonder if they will work Live like a Suicide more or bring back Bad Obsession, Dead Horse. 

Breakdown and Locomotive could be worked up. 

9 hours ago, Alreadygone said:

I got appetite in 87 when I was in 3rd grade.I wore out several tapes and then u know how cds get scratched so I bought the CD a few times over the years too.This thread is blasphemy.It's the only album I've never gotten burned out on.Nashville was a religious experience for me.I like most every other gnr freak from back in the day would have loved to see the original lineup play those 12 songs.I was hoping for Anything Goes but I'm not complaining.2016 is like a time machine has took us back to the good ol days.I just hope we get a new album while the iron is hot.

9 hours ago, Alreadygone said:

?We are the same we just have swelled a bit since

On 7/12/2016 at 4:25 PM, Subtle Signs said:

Watch out now. People will tell you that you aren't a "true fan"if you question the setlist. I got my hopes up once that Opie guy said they've rehearsed every song they know which was probably a bit of a stretch but I'm still hoping for more variation especially in markets where they play back to back shows.

They're playing shows for that night's audience. An audience that's come to see a classic band play the songs they remember. The majority leave happy because they didn't spend 2 weeks youtubing the entire set list of every show prior to the one they're attending.

• Like 1

I for one would be completely disappointed if Nightrain wasn't in the set. It's been a staple since 1986. But some songs like Brownstone and My michelle can be dropped from the set for things like Anything goes

On 11-7-2016 at 3:59 AM, Sosso said:

The so-called "fake band" was responsible for bringing very rare songs onto the setlist. Songs like Civil War, Estranged or Yesterdays.  That was the foundation for the setlist on the "Not In This Lifetime…Tour"

Very rare songs ???  What on earth are you talking about.  Those songs were regulars since 1991.  

Your fake band was responsible for 14 years of pain, 14 years that we'll never have again.  Other than that they were responsible for exactly ZERO.

• Like 3

Are people in this thread defending NuGNR? Saying they were responsible for anything positive? WTF? NuGNR was the bizarre solo carreer of Axl Rose, nothing else.

As for the OP. No problem with AFD songs, it's been a long time since they haven't been played properly. As for the covers, it's just sad. GNR has so many songs to choose from and they insist in playing covers. LALD is awful, a really bad song, it simply goes nowhere, it's pointless. KOHD, too long, a 3 min version would be ok. The Seeker, awful song from the terrible band The Who, and a reminder that NuGNR era was real. Sad that Slash and Duff accepted this turd to be included on the set.

13 minutes ago, maynard said:

As for the OP. No problem with AFD songs, it's been a long time since they haven't been played properly. As for the covers, it's just sad. GNR has so many songs to choose from and they insist in playing covers. LALD is awful, a really bad song, it simply goes nowhere, it's pointless. KOHD, too long, a 3 min version would be ok. The Seeker, awful song from the terrible band The Who, and a reminder that NuGNR era was real. Sad that Slash and Duff accepted this turd to be included on the set.

The GNR catalog isn't exactly that big when you think about it so a few covers is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, ssiscool said:

Maybe so, but the covers add an element to the show.

A few are cool.. But 20 percent of the setlist? Imagine how much cooler the Encore would be if they replaced the seeker with a random Guns classic every night?

On 7/11/2016 at 8:39 PM, SWINGTRADER said:

Nobody cares what Axl did with his fake band for 20 years. The fact of the matter is that Guns n Roses is playing AFD and UYI material for the first time since 1993. There have only been 6-7 shows. How in the hell can we get tired of hearing AFD live if we are hearing them for the first time in 23 years?

Unbelievable.

Because gnr have been playing them for the last 15 years. IDC who plays in the band, I'm going to a GnR show to hear Axl sing. The music sounds the same to me for the most part no matter who is playing it.

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

A few are cool.. But 20 percent of the setlist? Imagine how much cooler the Encore would be if they replaced the seeker with a random Guns classic every night?

I aggree that dropping Seeker for a Guns classic would make it alot you better

6 minutes ago, liers said:

Because gnr have been playing them for the last 15 years. IDC who plays in the band, I'm going to a GnR show to hear Axl sing. The music sounds the same to me for the most part no matter who is playing it.

It's ok to be an Axl fan but you should really check out one of those Ashba/Slash comparsion videos on YT. I'm pretty sure you will value real GNR much more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Modano09 said:

They're playing shows for that night's audience. An audience that's come to see a classic band play the songs they remember. The majority leave happy because they didn't spend 2 weeks youtubing the entire set list of every show prior to the one they're attending.

So much this.

People can bitch about the setlist to no end and it doesn't bother me at all as long as they understand who the setlist each night is meant for.

8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Ill never get tired of hearing AfD being played by the band. OTGM is a highlight this tour.

See.....here's an example. OTGM has been played at 2 of the 3 shows I've seen this year. Both times I went for beer or to the bathroom whereas you loved it. Different strokes and all that.

29 minutes ago, liers said:

you're weird....:wacko:

16 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

OTGM is a highlight this tour.

Yeah it is!!! Hope it was just a temporary rest the other night.. I like My Michelle and all but not nearly as much.. And the way Franko played it the other night, even less ;)

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

So much this.

People can bitch about the setlist to no end and it doesn't bother me at all as long as they understand who the setlist each night is meant for.

See.....here's an example. OTGM has been played at 2 of the 3 shows I've seen this year. Both times I went for beer or to the bathroom whereas you loved it. Different strokes and all that.

I know... I turned around to give you an entusiastic thumbs up when they were nailing OTGM and you were gone. Dick! Lol

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah it is!!! Hope it was just a temporary rest the other night.. I like My Michelle and all but not nearly as much.. And the way Franko played it the other night, even less ;)

Ive never gotten Michelle at a GNR or Slash show out of the zillion combined lol. That being said, I wasnt even mad when they busted OTGM again in Chicago cause its so good this tour

• Like 1

I feel like GnR is, at its core, Appetite for Destruction. I don't even get why someone would go to a GnR show if not to listen to AfD songs. I love everything they've ever recorded, but I think AfD defines the band.

But I do think the covers are a waste of setlist tho.

Edited by emybdc
  • Like 2