Anyone tired of hearing AFD and cover songs live?

Before I get killed here, let me preface by saying I'm not bitching about the setlist, and I love AFD. The world loves AFD. Axl has been touring AFD for the last 15 years and well -- it's hard to make 30 + year old songs sound fresh when they are played constantly on tour for the past decade and a half.  

There are so many great original songs on UYI that could be easily rotated in that would breathe new life into the setlist. Would anyone care if "Live and Let Die" was retired for "Don't Cry"? Or Mr. Brownstone retired for "Perfect Crime"?

Don't Cry is the first song the band ever wrote and one of their biggest hits (only NR and SCOM have more views on youtube) and yet The Seeker gets more play than this. Why?

My point is, there are so many awesome UYI songs that could be played instead of the AFD and cover heavy setlists. Needless to say CD songs could easily get the boot and not be missed. UYI is GnR's magnum opus -- it deserves more play on tour. 

• Like 2

I think UYI songs were played on that tour. NITL is "The Back" it's obviously played more songs of AFD.

In addition LALD and KOHD is true that they are covers, but are part of GNR.

If they make a new album, I think reproduce less AFD songs for the new songs.

The more Appetite songs the better as far as I am concerned. I don't care if Axl has been playing them for the last 15 years, I wasn't paying attention. He hasn't played these songs with Slash, Duff and Steven in decades though and it is great. Play all 12 of them every show and I wouldn't complain..

They are a little heavy on the covers though.. Would love if if they ditched The Seeker and Wish You Were Here for some more classic Guns songs. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lucasnesposito said:

I think UYI songs were played on that tour. NITL is "The Back" it's obviously played more songs of AFD.

In addition LALD and KOHD is true that they are covers, but are part of GNR.

If they make a new album, I think reproduce less AFD songs for the new songs.

They did that when they released the Illusions. It is time to go back to AFD sound for some new songs.

• Like 1

Covers - yes. AFD - no.

I can't imagine Brownstone or ISE out of the setlist, let alone SCOM or WTTJ. True, it's an old ass album and we know every movement and whim of Axl, Slash, Duff and co. during every song, but it's the first time in 20+ years the songs are being performed as they should, especially with Adler in there. Now if they keep on touring only with these songs after NITL, then yeah, it will get stale, but for now I love hearing Slash and Duff breathing life back into them and also giving CD a chance.

Why replace Brownstone for Perfect Crime when you can take out KOHD or WYWH or Layla or The fucking Seeker etc. The only cover I like right now is LALD because Axl's screams get the crowd and the band pumped and rocking. I liked WYWH and Layla for the first 1-2 shows and then it got anoying that they've got so muchterial of their own and they choose to play covers. Oh, well. It's their call, I just hope that call can one day erase The fucking Seeker from the setlist.:shrugs:

31 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Nobody cares what Axl did with his fake band for 20 years. The fact of the matter is that Guns n Roses is playing AFD and UYI material for the first time since 1993. There have only been 6-7 shows. How in the hell can we get tired of hearing AFD live if we are hearing them for the first time in 23 years?

Unbelievable.

Ahh -- I didn't consider that. Fair point -- AFD songs being played by the originals is indeed something to savor. I'm just more of a UYI fan. It would be epic to hear Locomotive and Don't Damn Me live.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nonok said:

Covers - yes. AFD - no.

I can't imagine Brownstone or ISE out of the setlist, let alone SCOM or WTTJ. True, it's an old ass album and we know every movement and whim of Axl, Slash, Duff and co. during every song, but it's the first time in 20+ years the songs are being performed as they should, especially with Adler in there. Now if they keep on touring only with these songs after NITL, then yeah, it will get stale, but for now I love hearing Slash and Duff breathing life back into them and also giving CD a chance.

Why replace Brownstone for Perfect Crime when you can take out KOHD or WYWH or Layla or The fucking Seeker etc. The only cover I like right now is LALD because Axl's screams get the crowd and the band pumped and rocking. I liked WYWH and Layla for the first 1-2 shows and then it got anoying that they've got so muchterial of their own and they choose to play covers. Oh, well. It's their call, I just hope that call can one day erase The fucking Seeker from the setlist.:shrugs:

Agreed. A lot of those songs really sap the momentum of the band, especially the Chinese Democracy songs. This I Love should never have even made the setlist. 

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Before I get killed here, let me preface by saying I'm not bitching about the setlist, and I love AFD. The world loves AFD. Axl has been touring AFD for the last 15 years and well -- it's hard to make 30 + year old songs sound fresh when they are played constantly on tour for the past decade and a half.  

There are so many great original songs on UYI that could be easily rotated in that would breathe new life into the setlist. Would anyone care if "Live and Let Die" was retired for "Don't Cry"? Or Mr. Brownstone retired for "Perfect Crime"?

Don't Cry is the first song the band ever wrote and one of their biggest hits (only NR and SCOM have more views on youtube) and yet The Seeker gets more play than this. Why?

My point is, there are so many awesome UYI songs that could be played instead of the AFD and cover heavy setlists. Needless to say CD songs could easily get the boot and not be missed. UYI is GnR's magnum opus -- it deserves more play on tour. 

So you basically say there should be more UYI songs. Are you not satisfied with Coma? Tell me just what songs should they play because I'm lost here. Do you want So Fine and Shotgun Blues? Will the show be better with Bad Apples? Do the fans care? 

All I know they're playing eight uyi songs, thirteen with the rehearsed songs it is more than enough.

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. A lot of those songs really sap the momentum of the band, especially the Chinese Democracy songs. This I Love should never have even made the setlist. 

Well, I actually think that CD (the song) sounds really badass live right now, and Slash and Duff give it that fire that it was missing. Better is ok for me, the intro's awesome, and Duff and Melissa's backing vocals are pretty cool. TIL is one of Axl's best songs live on this tour (which has me flabbergasted) and Slash's solo keeps improving, but yeah, it should be played once every 4-5 shows at best if they really wanna keep it. The setlist has way too many ballads and playing Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged, Layla, WYWH, TIL (and even SCOM & KOHD to some extent) really sucks the momentum out of the show. Not that they don't sound good, but it doesn't feel like a rock concert when they're all played together. They could at least rotate the CD songs or Estranged for Locomotive or something. :shrugs:

6 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

So you basically say there should be more UYI songs. Are you not satisfied with Coma? Tell me just what songs should they play because I'm lost here. Do you want So Fine and Shotgun Blues? Will the show be better with Bad Apples? Do the fans care? 

All I know they're playing eight uyi songs, thirteen with the rehearsed songs it is more than enough.

Coma is great. I'd say lose The Seeker, Live and Let Die, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, and shorten KOHD. Dump the Chinese Democracy songs (will never happen, I know). Add in Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, Don't Cry and Perfect Crime.

Two of the UYI songs played are covers so we really only get 6 original tracks. I realize they're doing Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle for Steven so that's fine and dandy. The CD songs are just gratuitous when there are so many classic songs that fans love on UYI that have never even been played live like Don't Damn Me.

If they have to do cover songs,  "Aint it Fun" would be great.

Edited by RONIN

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Out ta Get Me has been my favorite song of the set

It's a beast live. My favorite AFD song live is probably ISE or Nightrain, but Out Ta Get Me can't be denied (especially with Adler).

They probably could do an awesome job with "You're Crazy" (Lies) as well.

• Like 4

yeah i get your point

but i am asking myself a slightly different question

would i be tired of those songs if it was Guns n Roses playing them?

my answer is no.

because Guns n Roses hasnt played these songs for more than 25 years

what i am really tired of is to listen to these songs played by alien people that are presented as Guns n Roses 

what i am tired of is having my favorite band spoiled by a 10-year-veteran professional drummer, by a 14-year-veteran professional guitar player and by a new keyboard player that loves to re-tweet stuff about herself, about how great she is, about how much she rocks and how much her presence adds to GnR

cut me some fucking slack

please remove these professional-veterans-whatever-musicians from the band

they can be talented, they can be nice people, they can be 18-million-years-veterans and they can spend their lives retweeting stuff about how great they are but they are not GNR and they will never fucking be

gimme axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven

gimme fucking guns n roses

1ba894c7c8e74f569a265630d2b9440d.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vissud said:

I mean, I have to kind of agree.  Playing the same songs every night?  They should really be putting out a new album's worth of new material each show.  Anything else is just a money grab.

Are you serious? That's not the sense of a tour, man.  They are touring through a lot of cities and visitors would be very dissapointed if they don't have a constant setlist.

Edited by Sosso

I will never tire of hearing Appetite for Destruction, save for Paradise City, however if they are willing to get rid of all of the covers and replace it with another song from Appetite, Lies or UYI I will be a happy guy

For this specific tour,I think the selection and sequence of the setlist is genius! Don't get me wrong,I have my own dream setlist and certain songs I would love to be played just like everyone else.But this is a stadium tour attracting all different ages of fans all across the board.I imagine from GNR's perspective,in order to cater to a mixture of 50,000-60,000+ hardcore fans,casual fans,non fans that go anyway. Night after night they play for over 2 and half hours of just enough material to please every fan that night the best they can and they are doing a damn fine job I think.(EXAMPLE:Im happy we get Coma! So many casual fans in Chicago looking bored during that tune I remember,all of a sudden song is over,Slash solos Godfather then BOOM!!! He starts SCOM,whole sold-out stadium crowd gets LOUD!! All fans in general very happy).We'll see how the tour progresses by how much the set will change,I imagine very little...

GNFNR IS LIFE!

• Like 1