Oh My God -- Underrated GnR classic?

Just to refresh your memory, this is the song that was on King Arnold's legendary film "End of Days". Just by its association with the great Austrian Oak, the song is elevated. 

I don't like nu-metal, but I love this song and it rocks harder than anything on Chinese Democracy. It has some classic Axl rock lyrics and it's also probably the last song where he still sounds like his old self.

Axl finally got his wish to have Dave Navarro solo on it (after he failed to have him replace Izzy as a full band member) -- Josh Freese is also on drums and rules.

Should this song be reworked by the original gunners and re-released?

The song, “Oh My God,” will be on the soundtrack to the upcoming Arnold
Schwarzenegger
action movie “End of Days.” It “contemplates several
abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from
the film … and its metaphors,” Rose wrote in the one-page, single-spaced
statement, which was signed “Axl” and distributed to reporters by
Interscope Records.

According to Rose, the song was written by a longtime friend, guitarist
Paul Huge, and features a patchwork of musicians: Huge, ex-Jane’s Addiction/Red
Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Dave Navarro, ex-Vandals drummer Josh Freese,
Guns keyboardist Dizzy Reed, ex-Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson,
guitarist Robin Finck — who recently left Guns n’ Roses to rejoin
the touring lineup of Nine Inch Nails — and Gary Sunshine.

“Former member Duff McKagan (Guns n’ Roses’ original bassist) as well as
former employee Matt Sorum (who had replaced original drummer Steve Adler)
failed to see [the song’s] potential and showed no interest in exploring,
let alone recording the piece,” Rose wrote. “When the demos were played
for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were, as they say, ’all over it.
’ “

A spokesperson for Sorum could not be reached for comment by press time.
McKagan could not be reached either.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Really didn't like the song when it first came out....probably due to the fact that G N' R were in turmoil at the time and I didn't like the fact that the classic lineup was breaking up.

That being said, the song has grown on me over the years and I think it was ahead of its time.  Still nowhere near my favorites but I don't mind jamming out to it from time to time.

One of my all-time favorites!!!  It took me a few years to appreciate it, but what an aggressive song made by a confident motherfucker.  Axl left all his signatures behind and came out swinging for the future.  

Plus, the bass groove and that breathless scream!!!!

Love it!

19 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

I love it. I think this is yet another song Sluff could work on to make a better arrangement for.

Yes! The old band would rock the fuck out of this song. Just dump the nu-metalish production and let Slash put some crunchy riffs and it's worthy enough to be up there with the Illusion era rockers.

• Like 1

the only version i every really liked was the Rock In Rio version because i could never really get into the production of the soundtrack version. Plus i appreciate Bucketheads guitar work more than Navaros, and i love what he does around the last verse. You gotta love Buckets dancing too. Perfectly suits the weird spacey-esque theme going on there. The only draw back to me though is Tommys backing vocals. They almost seem too loud. All in all though i think the song is an awesome rocker and a pretty good precursor for what was to come almost 9 years later with Chinese. If it was to be reworked now though, i doubt it would sound as raw and awesome. I think the verses would give Axl trouble and probably come out sounding like the 2016 equivalent of the last verse of Coma. I dont think he has the breath for it. And unfortunately for that reason, this song is going to be fairly overlooked in the GNR history books. 

Edited by KeyserSoze

I really do enjoy the song and feel like it actually shows more lyrical emotion than most of their songs do. I just wish a high-quality version of the song was available, without having to dig to find it.

There's an interview of Axl's where he states that he apparently wrote an entire album worth of songs for End of Days? Does anyone recall reading that? Wish we could hear those songs....they must have been in that Sean Beavan batch for the first iteration of Chinese Democracy/2000 intentions.

Slash on OMG:

I’m sure, however, that you were curious to hear the new Guns N’Roses song, Oh my god...

Yeah, I heard it when I went to see the movie End of days. And I don’t have any real opinion about it. Here’s how I feel : I’m dying to hear anything that Axl will release, these songs which more or less accelerated the split of GN’R. I won’t systematically say anything bad or reject something I wasn’t a part of. After all, although Axl and I were often in disagreement, sometimes we shared the same points of view. But we tended to become unnatural when we messed up the line-up, when we introduced foreign elements to rock. That’s why I felt at peace with myself when I left the band. And when I heard Oh my god, it convinced me that my departure had been a wise decision and that Axl and I were definitely no longer on the same wavelength musically. I really can’t wait to hear what he has written since we split up. That’s his work, he lives for it and doesn’t do anything else. The other day, I met Izzy at my birthday party and asked him : « So, what’s up with him ? ». Everybody’s asking themselves the same question. (laughs) None of us has really changed over the years. Except Axl, of course...

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=34

37 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

Fucking brilliant 

:lol:

39 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

the only version i every really liked was the Rock In Rio version because i could never really get into the production of the soundtrack version. Plus i appreciate Bucketheads guitar work more than Navaros, and i love what he does around the last verse. You gotta love Buckets dancing too. Perfectly suits the weird spacey-esque theme going on there. The only draw back to me though is Tommys backing vocals. They almost seem too loud. All in all though i think the song is an awesome rocker and a pretty good precursor for what was to come almost 9 years later with Chinese. If it was to be reworked now though, i doubt it would sound as raw and awesome. I think the verses would give Axl trouble and probably come out sounding like the 2016 equivalent of the last verse of Coma. I dont think he has the breath for it. And unfortunately for that reason, this song is going to be fairly overlooked in the GNR history books. 

It's remarkable how UYI-esque his vocals sound in that performance. Not as powerful but the tone was definitely there.

6 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Great song. Has that gnr edge. Better than half of CD certainly a better rocker than anything on CD

Exactly. Nothing on CD rocks as hard as this. I really wish we heard Chinese Democracy as it was originally conceived w/ Sean Beavan before the cavalcade of producers got their hands on it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

So what's the best quality version of this song available? Had a quick look on youtube but can only seem to find muddy-sounding demos or weird live mash-up things. 

How convenient. Maybe by buying the song digitally or on cd?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

So what's the best quality version of this song available? Can someone link me please? Had a quick look on youtube but can only seem to find muddy-sounding demos or weird live mash-up things. 

Makes it hard to tell if i like it or not!

I don't think there's a better quality version of it out there than that one, but even that one is a demo according to Axl. Well there is a VERY short leak out there of a finished sounding version, but I'm too lazy to find it.

I really like Oh My God and agree that it's better than half of CD.

19 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

How convenient. Maybe by buying the song digitally or on cd?

14 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Cheap fans

What the fuck, is it like a sensitive issue for you or some thing? I didn't realise that it was ever officially released/available for purchase on its own. 

It's not like it's uncommon to first look up a song on the internet if you don't really know much about it, regardless of whether or not you end up buying it.