"Where's Brett?"

action

some disturbing events going on at alt nations. I'm not sure what it's all about, but look at this:

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-rose-slash-hugging-guns-n-roses-film-melt-your-heart/

Brett has been degraded to "editor" while some other dude, the unknown thomas Rulz takes the credit for the article.

this is, of course, an outrage.

Brett has been our one ray of light in a media landscape all too barren when it comes to GNR news. I have to say it is unacceptable that our man Brett isnt in charge of the latest, interesting stories surrounding our beloved band anymore. There's only one Brett.

I hope they bring back Brett for at least a couple of articles though. Brett is like the Steven Adler of alt nation now.

Edited by action

I remember my first beer :lol:

But seriously, Brett Buchanan is an absolute disgrace and the most worthless journalist to probably ever live. He has stolen plenty from this forum so this thread is either pointless or a damn good joke..

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, action said:

some disturbing events going on at alt nations. I'm not sure what it's all about, but look at this:

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-rose-slash-hugging-guns-n-roses-film-melt-your-heart/

Brett has been degraded to "editor" while some other dude, the unknown thomas Rulz takes the credit for the article.

this is, of course, an outrage.

Brett has been our one ray of light in a media landscape all too barren when it comes to GNR news. I have to say it is unacceptable that our man Brett isnt in charge of the latest, interesting stories surrounding our beloved band anymore. There's only one Brett.

I hope they bring back Brett for at least a couple of articles though. Brett is like the Steven Adler of alt nation now.

You do realize Brett Buchanan owns and runs that website right?

I wanna mention something:

While I agree that Alt Nation is an awful site, please refrain from saying anything over the edge regarding them. 

This isn't in reference to anything said in this thread but something said elsewhere recently. Someone posted "Brett should die" or something similar which we as a team didn't catch and remove. It ended up being retweeted and makes the site look bad overall. 

Do I think one of our users would take action against brett or any other reporter for something GNR related? Of course not. At the same time, I'd like the overall perception of the site and its user base to accurately reflect the actual quality found here. 

In short; being irritated with sites like Alt Nation is completely understandable but let's try to high road these things as much as we can. 

Thanks! 

• Like 2

what does he exactly steal from this site? Is this a news website?

He picks information from here and writes stories. He uses this as a source. I'm not sure if he quotes the source because I usually don't read the articles but he should.

Anyway I don't think the guy steals anything. This is a public forum.

42 minutes ago, killuridols said:

what does he exactly steal from this site? Is this a news website?

He picks information from here and writes stories. He uses this as a source. I'm not sure if he quotes the source because I usually don't read the articles but he should.

Anyway I don't think the guy steals anything. This is a public forum.

Journalistically it's fairly unethical to take information from somewhere and post it elsewhere without giving credit to where it came from.  At times I have seen him credit this forum or even specific posters.  Howevr I saw one article where he lifted something from here and gave no credit.

its just a matter of journalistic integrity in my opinion is the issue.

Edited by tsinindy

35 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Journalistically it's fairly unethical to take information from somewhere and post it elsewhere without giving credit to where it came from.  At times I have seen him credit this forum or even specific posters.  Howevr I saw one article where he lifted something from here and gave no credit.

its just a matter of journalistic integrity in my opinion is the issue.

Each case is different. Not every article even in major publications gives credit to sources. It depends on what's the source and how the text is worded out.

A lot of stuff posted here is lifted from other places too or fanpages or people's personal social media accounts.

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Each case is different. Not every article even in major publications gives credit to sources. It depends on what's the source and how the text is worded out.

A lot of stuff posted here is lifted from other places too or fanpages or people's personal social media accounts.

But we or this site isn't a media outlet as alternative nation is.  That's like compared my apples to bowling balls

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

But we or this site isn't a media outlet as alternative nation is.  That's like compared my apples to bowling balls

precisely that's why complaining about someone "lifting" stuff from here is contradictory. Are you a media outlet or not? do you produce news? then you're a media outlet.

Just now, killuridols said:

precisely that's why complaining about someone "lifting" stuff from here is contradictory. Are you a media outlet or not? do you produce news? then you're a media outlet.

It's absolutely not contradictory.  First off, no one "produces" news, news is reported.

Second this is a fan forum where blowhards like you and I gather, Alternative Nation is a media outlet that reports the news.  They have standards of journalistic integrity that by accreditation they are held accountable to.

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

It's absolutely not contradictory.  First off, no one "produces" news, news is reported.

Second this is a fan forum where blowhards like you and I gather, Alternative Nation is a media outlet that reports the news.  They have standards of journalistic integrity that by accreditation they are held accountable to.

Yes, all media organizations produce news. News stories, that is. There is a person who takes the role of news producer and works within a news-production team.

Alternative Nation is a site that sometimes produces news and most of times "curate" stories. As long as they use hyperlinks and mention the source from where they took the information, they are working under normal journalistic standards.

Blabbermouth is the website that does this best. They curate stories and news pretty well, even though sometimes their headlines are a little clickbait, but you can't blame them for that. It is the way it's always been in journalism.

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yes, all media organizations produce news. News stories, that is. There is a person who takes the role of news producer and works within a news-production team.

Alternative Nation is a site that sometimes produces news and most of times "curate" stories. As long as they use hyperlinks and mention the source from where they took the information, they are working under normal journalistic standards.

Blabbermouth is the website that does this best. They curate stories and news pretty well, even though sometimes their headlines are a little clickbait, but you can't blame them for that. It is the way it's always been in journalism.

Right, sorry I get what you're saying.  I took what you said in a different way than you meant.  I agree with everything else you're saying, and my point is they don't (sometimes) - alt nation specifically has lifted stuff directly from this site without any credit being given at all.

To me, that isn't right.

i understand you're saying its "hypocritical" for "us" to complain and I get that, I just don't agree bc I'm not a journalist running or reporting the news on a news site.  I'm a blowhard fan :)

i hope no one is being serious in their hate towards the bloke though. I'm just goofing around a bit here. it has to be said he makes himself a sitting duck by soldiering on and continuing to post articles that originate from this site. That, i find mildly funny. But hate never crossed my mind, let alone saying absolutely stupid things like RussTCB has addressed and which i shall not repeate. Some people need to take their anger pills before posting.

It's all good for great laughs, but at the end of the day what the hell do i care where he gets his shit from?

I realise i'm one of the biggest offenders here, but the "where's Brett" line was just too hard to resist. I hope people saw it as a joke. I mean no harm to the guy. thought i'd make that clear.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Right, sorry I get what you're saying.  I took what you said in a different way than you meant.  I agree with everything else you're saying, and my point is they don't (sometimes) - alt nation specifically has lifted stuff directly from this site without any credit being given at all.

To me, that isn't right.

i understand you're saying its "hypocritical" for "us" to complain and I get that, I just don't agree bc I'm not a journalist running or reporting the news on a news site.  I'm a blowhard fan :)

yeah no i should sorry because sometimes my english is very bad and i type as I speak and sometimes I speak wrong because i think in a different language lol and when im particularly down like today i dont make sense at all, my head spins all over like :wow:

lol

tbh i've rarely seen news, real gnr news, generated here or anywhere else (forum kind of places). most ive seen here are people running rumors that may or may not turn real later but im not sure i could mention big news breaking or generating from this place, except when some "insider" comes and drops a bomb but it's also weird because they never say who they are, so it's always shady.

Alt Nat oftenly reports rumors generated here or someone else. that's what i mostly dislike about them, more than get worried if they give credit or not. Also not sure if this forum deserves credit for things posted by forum users who really do not work for this place. All of this is free and the same person sharing a rumor or pictures or whatever here, could go to the next forum and do the same, you know what I mean? so how much credit can you take for something someone else generated with their own resources? does this forum pay people who go to shows and get pictures with their own cameras? are their tickets paid by this forum?

Don't take me wrong, this forum does not have to pay anything to anyone. They provide a free platform for most members to come here, for free, and express themselves, share what they know or hear or find, without expecting any payment in return. This is more like a collaborative environment of people who share a passion. And I'm not saying this place does not work hard either, they have to pay a server and keep this place running 24/7. No one gets paid to do that so I understand that having Alt Nat coming here and picking up stories from users seems kinda unfair to this community that's worked on its reputation and growth for so long. But then again, this community is a mass of individuals who decide to collaborate on their own will and anyone here could also talk to Brett Buchanan and share the story with him too. No one here is acting like a exclusive reporter, I think.

Of course, the ideal of all this would be that Alt Nat gives credit to everybody involved and this forum too, since it seems most of the content he produces or curates has its roots here. Maybe he should expand his sources so that it is not always the same place where he gets all of his info, lol but well that's up to him.

I don't know how he does what he does but one thing I'd be more concerned about than the credits is the privacy of people posting here and their will to have their posts reproduced in a different place other than this. I hope Brett, before he's going to lift a quote or a photo or a story from here, asks the person who originally posted it, permission to have it republished somewhere else if he's going to use their actual names (or usernames) and their graphic materials.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, action said:

i hope no one is being serious in their hate towards the bloke though. I'm just goofing around a bit here. it has to be said he makes himself a sitting duck by soldiering on and continuing to post articles that originate from this site. That, i find mildly funny. But hate never crossed my mind, let alone saying absolutely stupid things like RussTCB has addressed and which i shall not repeate. Some people need to take their anger pills before posting.

It's all good for great laughs, but at the end of the day what the hell do i care where he gets his shit from?

I realise i'm one of the biggest offenders here, but the "where's Brett" line was just too hard to resist. I hope people saw it as a joke. I mean no harm to the guy. thought i'd make that clear.

I don't hate the guy. I just don't respect him as a human being or a "journalist". IT's just lazy, pathetic, and embarrassing that one can lack true journalistic abilities like working connections via email phone or text, and prefer to just come to a forum and steal "news". 

And what he posts is an issue because some of the articles he's posted aren't even news or ever came to fruition. He sometimes even misreads a quote and makes it into news. It could be something somebody just made up and he reports it for a mass audience which will believe it blindly because they may not be on mygnr. 

So maybe the whole "he should go die" could be too much (although even the mods admit they don't take it seriously yet don't want it posted) but the bottom line is, he hasn't done anything worthy enough to earn anybody's respect because he posted stuff for a long time not giving mygnr credit, and he quoted Eddie money which is not only selfish, reckless and dangerous because the audience will not only think the real Eddie money is on here reporting news, but it compromises the User Eddie Money and it gets information back to places he may not want, which could create problems for him. And well, since then Eddie has posted less for us and has said on this very forum that it's because he's gotten into trouble.. That's my issue.

I don't care if he reports news and quotes the forum, it was more when he didn't that started the issue... Which is why Brett Buchanan sucks

31 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

...maybe the whole "he should go die" could be too much (although even the mods admit they don't take it seriously yet don't want it posted) but the bottom line is, he hasn't done anything worthy enough to earn anybody's respect because he posted stuff for a long time not giving mygnr credit...

Exactly.

We're not expecting anyone to respect the dude, we're just asking that no one wish death on him, even jokingly.