Catcher in The Rye is the best song from any GN'R member following UYI 1 and 2

5 hours ago, Nick Cobraetti said:

I'll take CD over the entire alumni output combined, thank you very much!

yeah, i am pretty sure you have listened to all the hundreds of songs that izzy, duff, slash and steven have released on the last 25 years

4 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

This guy is a bot or FF's Mom.  

No, I just don't think the drug addict drummer that was thrown out of the band 26 years ago makes or breaks a tour that 90% of the audience thinks is about Axl/Slash.

6 hours ago, Modano09 said:

No, I just don't think the drug addict drummer that was thrown out of the band 26 years ago makes or breaks a tour that 90% of the audience thinks is about Axl/Slash.

frank is the worst drummer gnr ever had, steven the best. they made the former the foundation  of the band while the latter barely gets a guest slot. starting to lose interest again.

Edited by action

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

But you carry on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on on & on & on & on & on & on about it to the point where you are basically spamming the board with SA hate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yeah, i am pretty sure you have listened to all the hundreds of songs that izzy, duff, slash and steven have released on the last 25 years

I have but still prefer CD overall.

I just like stadium metal more. I prefer Bridges to Babylon to solo Keef.

I might lie to myself when I'm listening to Brian Jonestown Maasacre but in the end over the years I realised I'll always come back to Dandy Warhols. 

I do really like Izzy solo though as a side dish to CD. 

It's a shame these guys can't just throw all their material in a pot and record it as GNR. Much like UYI with varying productions. If Izzy wants to do a reggae 4-track with Duff on bass throw it on. If Axl wants to hire the NY Philamonic then do that too. 

GNR has been their career job in music. The reunion is playing the game too. Maybe Axl even wanted to break out of the mold with CD trilogy but was held back by caution from label and himself. 

GNR do the stadium job and they can do solo indulgence on the side. Best of both worlds. Circus and Indulgence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I have but still prefer CD overall. 

amazing!

3 hours ago, wasted said:

It's a shame these guys can't just throw all their material in a pot and record it as GNR. Much like UYI with varying productions. If Izzy wants to do a reggae 4-track with Duff on bass throw it on. If Axl wants to hire the NY Philamonic then do that too. 

yeah, exactly!

It's always been one of my favorite tracks of CD.  I agree with those that prefer the leak to the album version.   Not only do I like the guitar riff better in the leaked version, but I also like the way Axl sings "Guess I'd Have More Fun" before the guitar riff.   It was always my favorite of the leaks, and I remember hearing it for the first time from the album and being a bit disappointed by some of the changes.   I still dig the album version, but the leak appealed to me much more.   

7 hours ago, action said:

frank is the worst drummer gnr ever had, steven the best. they made the former the foundation  of the band while the latter barely gets a guest slot. starting to lose interest again.

Well the latter could go off the rails at any time and nobody wants to have a multi-million dollar stadium tour relying on him, so the former it is.

5 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

But you carry on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on & on on & on & on & on & on & on about it to the point where you are basically spamming the board with SA hate. 

As opposed to numerous topics about Adler, or about Frank which become about Adler, and every show thread turns into where's Adler, Adler should play more, etc.

• Like 2

Weird how Frank bashing posts are perfectly fine but not being amazed at Adler being able to play Appetite songs (there's only 12 of them, and he had 30 years to practise them) or being constantly wanting him in instead of Frank is "spamming the board with SA hate". 

I'm an Appetite line up lover myself but this is getting fucking ridiculous. Pro tip: you're not a bigger or better fan than anyone else by doing that constant whining about Adler not being there full time and Frank still being in.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EvH said:

Weird how Frank bashing posts are perfectly fine but not being amazed at Adler being able to play Appetite songs (there's only 12 of them, and he had 30 years to practise them) or being constantly wanting him in instead of Frank is "spamming the board with SA hate". 

I'm an Appetite line up lover myself but this is getting fucking ridiculous. Pro tip: you're not a bigger or better fan than anyone else by doing that constant whining about Adler not being there full time and Frank still being in.

When 99% of his posting history is rinse & repeat it does start to come across that way.

CITR is the worst recorded GNR song of all time and given how potentially great it could be, it's possibly the worst recorded song of all time. 

It has some of the best lyrics that Axl has ever written and one of his best vocal melodies to go with it but that's where it ends. Most people debate the solo and compare Brian May to Bumblefoot. They're both great guitar players so for me, I can take either as the lead guitar isn't the problem. 

The rhythm section is awful on this. 

If this song had better drums and piano and Axl had sung it in his classic voice and not the whiney one then this song could have been one of the best songs of all time (not just one of the best GNR songs) .

The production and mix is also catastrophic in this song and parts of it (particularly towards the end) sound like a child is playing with the knobs on the mixing board. I seriously think the version on CD wasn't the final mix and got shipped along with the wrong liner notes. 

This might sound like I'm being hard or don't like the song. Not at all. It's just so disappointing for me to hear the greatness that this song could be but to have to listen through the awful version presented to get to it. If they ever rerecord any songs from the CD era, I just hope this is the first one they do because it has the potential to be one of the most emotive songs of all time if recorded properly. 

• Like 3

Catcher, what can I say? The lyrics, I think, are around one of the best things that Axl ever wrote. And 'The Catcher in The Rye' by Salinger is my favourite book ever, so I can relate to the lyrics very much. But the song though... it's awful.

There are, IMO, worst songs in CD, but Catcher is so overproduced and overlayered and what the hell is happening with the drums in there, that there is nothing that can save it. Plus I hate, like really hate, Axl's vocals in that, especially in the chorus and all the 'ah-ah' and 'na-na-na' yada yada in that clean voice. And god knows how Axl voice is one of my favourite things in the world, but in Catcher just no.

So, in a nutshell, great idea - lyrically and also the mixing of piano and guitar - but very poorly executed.

• Like 1

On July 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Jw224 said:

Yes, because how many people hear a song or how popular it is really tells of its quality ?. 

It's hilarious to see this happening. 

When applied to Nov Rain, YouTube views have extreme value and we should take them seriously. 

When applied to Catcher, YouTube views have no value and prove nothing. 

Gnr fans are the greatest. 

Music is all about personal preference. 

My CD ranking 

Classics - Better, SOD, Catcher and TWAT. 

B - Shacklers, IRS, TIL, Rhiad.

C - Prostitute, Madagascar

Fail. Never listen to - CD, scraped, Sorry, If The World  

On 7/14/2016 at 10:54 PM, action said:

"november rain" and "catcher" are worlds apart though. the former has dramatic, heartfelt guitar playing. those solo's sound like pain, lovehurt. I can't say the same about catcher where they went for a more technical approach. I sense nothing heartfelt, genuine in there at all. It sounds too calculated and scripted.

that description of the guitar solos is perfect. i feel the pain, the love, the hurt. and then those lyrics...i know most people here say estranged is better, not as commercial, whatever but to me November Rain is perfection. one of my all time favorite songs and my definite favorite song of GN'R's. and i love almost all GN'R songs not just the "hits". it's just something very special IMO :heart:

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

It's hilarious to see this happening. 

When applied to Nov Rain, YouTube views have extreme value and we should take them seriously. 

When applied to Catcher, YouTube views have no value and prove nothing. 

Gnr fans are the greatest.

It's about context, though. November Rain is one of, if not their biggest single of all time. Catcher is a deep cut.

Let's put it this way, I have no idea how many youtube or spotify listens Coma has, but it's the best GNR song IMO, and it was rarely played live and wasn't released as a single. It has nothing to do with whether the mainstream knows it or not, but whether it's a great song or not.

With that said, the demo version of Catcher is much better than the final version. CITR and SOD suffer the most from over-production. The live versions from 2010 were the best, IMO. (Espacially at l'arc)

Even if CITR is overproduced and "could have been better," I still like it.  Still has good lyrics and melody, even if it could have been better executed.  It was always one of my favorite tracks on CD, along with TWAT.

Speaking of early versions of songs versus the studio versions, the live version of "The Blues" from the early 2000s was so awesome compared to the "Street of Dreams" that was finally released, at least in my own humble opinion. 

• Like 1