Catcher in The Rye is the best song from any GN'R member following UYI 1 and 2

This song came on my friends IPOD a couple weeks ago on Shuffle and I had no idea who it was. He was looking at me to see my reaction I guess because neither of us are fans of the album. It wasn't super loud but I had no idea who it was. I was like, "who is this? Spacehog?" That was the best I could come up with. 

It's definitely an OK song, but best song since UYI? from any member of the band? I can think of a bunch of songs that are better off the top of my head. Better, Shacklers, Street of Dreams, Sorry, Dirty Little Thing, Get out the door, Starlight, Beneath The Savage Sun, Too Far Gone, Withered Delilah, You're a lie... and that's just the material I'm aware of, I don't really know Loaded, walking papers, Izzy solo etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

It's definitely an OK song, but best song since UYI? from any member of the band? I can think of a bunch of songs that are better off the top of my head. Better, Shacklers, Street of Dreams, Sorry, Dirty Little Thing, Get out the door, Starlight, Beneath The Savage Sun, Too Far Gone, Withered Delilah, You're a lie... and that's just the material I'm aware of, I don't really know Loaded, walking papers, Izzy solo etc.

but..but what about serial killer..? :<

Could have been a classic up there with November Rain if he had stuck with the demo and given it a lean mean production, but the final product is a bloated mess with the memorable parts of the demo like brian may's guitar stripped out for tasteless shredding from Bumblefoot.

It's the story of the whole Chinese Democracy album -- so many of these songs could have been classics up there with UYI if only they had been given to Sluff (Duff and Slash). Overproduction is the bane of GnR's existence - Axl can't seem to finish a track without adding 10 layers of vocals, strings, choirs, sound effects, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

This song came on my friends IPOD a couple weeks ago on Shuffle and I had no idea who it was. He was looking at me to see my reaction I guess because neither of us are fans of the album. It wasn't super loud but I had no idea who it was. I was like, "who is this? Spacehog?" That was the best I could come up with. 

Spacehog! That just made my day man XD to be fair, "In the Meantime" kinda sounds like a gnr tune.

i can think of a bunch of post-UYI songs from all gnr members that I like better than catcher, honestly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Yeah, I said it.  Get at me, brehs and brehettes. 

There is so much sheer emotion in that song.  It's cryptic.  The music is amazing.  Axl sounds otherworldly

Catcher in The Rye is the best song from any GN'R member following UYI 1 and 2 except for the entire izzy discography, the entire neurotic outsiders album, and dozens of songs by VR, slash, duff, loaded and some others songs whose name that just escape me...

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Could have been a classic up there with November Rain if he had stuck with the demo and given it a lean mean production, but the final product is a bloated mess with the memorable parts of the demo like brian may's guitar stripped out for tasteless shredding from Bumblefoot.

It's the story of the whole Chinese Democracy album -- so many of these songs could have been classics up there with UYI if only they had been given to Sluff (Duff and Slash). Overproduction is the bane of GnR's existence - Axl can't seem to finish a track without adding 10 layers of vocals, strings, choirs, sound effects, etc. 

only izzy coulda saved this axl mess

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

SoD 

I love this one as well but this is a song where I agree with the complaint of things sounding overly produced

2 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

Catcher in the Rye is a killer song. Could it be played on the NITL tour? Isn't it a remembering of what happened to John Lennon?

I have read that the song is about Lennon's death.  Don't know if that is true or not though.  I know Duff likes Catcher and they are playing some CD songs so I think it's a possibility

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Yeah, I said it.  Get at me, brehs and brehettes. 

There is so much sheer emotion in that song.  It's cryptic.  The music is amazing.  Axl sounds otherworldly

I'd agree that its up there if we are referring to the leak and not the sabotaged CD version

2 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I love this one as well but this is a song where I agree with the complaint of things sounding overly produced

I have read that the song is about Lennon's death.  Don't know if that is true or not though.  I know Duff likes Catcher and they are playing some CD songs so I think it's a possibility

yea The Blues is the most egregious one in terms of being so overproduced I can no longer listen to it. And man did I listen to The Blues and Maddy pre-CD

• Like 1

This style of music isn't really fitting with GNR i think. with GNR i prefer the more straightforward rockers.

If i want to listen to a musical paintwork, i'll listen to something by brian wilson and the Beach Boys (vocal harmonies and randomness like the Smile album), Led Zeppelin, ABBA or Queen (Queen II, side black)

Edited by action
  • Like 2