Are we GN'R 'fans' or 'Experts'?

In an attempt to provoke deep thoughts, I've been asking myself this question for years now and I think it's a legit question to bring to the table.  Is it possible to be completely happy as a fan of this band?

For the last 15 years we had only 1 original member in the band and we still came running to this or other forums daily.  There was endless bitching back then about the voice, guitarists, attire, setlists, drumming, sound, weight, hair, etc etc just like today.  Up until just a couple years ago (at most) we had to wait on this forum and other sites to get updates on songs being played at shows & now we get to see every concert live in real-time.  Not only that, we now have/had 3 more of the core guys full-time, massive stadium tour, live streaming, and there's still the same chatter on this forum.  Not saying it's rampant but there's the occasional whining about Axl not ranting enough anymore.

We're just spoiled now.  We get everything fast and there's got to be a surprise every night to keep us entertained or we're not impressed.  Axl says he doesn't play for the internet and I believe it because we flatter ourselves by thinking they read this forum in hopes that maybe they'll pick up on our expert opinions.   We're the minority by far and away, you know, the one's who wait for ''Slither" to be played at a GN'R concert so we can freak out and say "that was the best show ever" OMG AXL, you're totally making me tear up right now".  Guns is a business and in business you go where they money is and the money isn't with us thousands.  The money is with the radio hits fans who just want to go to a good concert and go home, instead of coming home and posting on mygnr.com all night and bitching.  The thing is, half or more of the one's who aren't ever happy have most likely never laid down the cold hard cash on the table to go see them live because if you have, there's no way you could've walked away not feeling like you witnessed something pretty cool.  This band, even the old one's (except when it really was bad with Ashba) still put on some good shows.

I mean, we're so fucking nuts that a simple rumor of someone's friend who said that she said, that he said, that she said, that they said, Izzy is doing soundcheck and this place is going bonkers lol.  There's been a thousand of those type rumors over the years and we fall for it every time.  

Having said all that, I ask the question.... Have we crossed the proverbial bridge of where we went from being just normal or die-hard fans, to GN'R experts and think we know what's best for the band?  I think so.  

• Like 2

Experts, due to our absolute geekery of the subject, and over analysis of everything. We're also aware when articles and docos etc get things completely wrong. Can filter through the bullshit and pick out the truth, know the background of the original lineup and all subsequent lineups to an innate level of detail etc etc.

However, it's also easy to say we're bad experts, as often our interpretations and viewpoints and the like are coloured by our fandom eyes :P

1 hour ago, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

In an attempt to provoke deep thoughts, I've been asking myself this question for years now and I think it's a legit question to bring to the table.  Is it possible to be completely happy as a fan of this band?

For the last 15 years we had only 1 original member in the band and we still came running to this or other forums daily.  There was endless bitching back then about the voice, guitarists, attire, setlists, drumming, sound, weight, hair, etc etc just like today.  Up until just a couple years ago (at most) we had to wait on this forum and other sites to get updates on songs being played at shows & now we get to see every concert live in real-time.  Not only that, we now have/had 3 more of the core guys full-time, massive stadium tour, live streaming, and there's still the same chatter on this forum.  Not saying it's rampant but there's the occasional whining about Axl not ranting enough anymore.

We're just spoiled now.  We get everything fast and there's got to be a surprise every night to keep us entertained or we're not impressed.  Axl says he doesn't play for the internet and I believe it because we flatter ourselves by thinking they read this forum in hopes that maybe they'll pick up on our expert opinions.   We're the minority by far and away, you know, the one's who wait for ''Slither" to be played at a GN'R concert so we can freak out and say "that was the best show ever" OMG AXL, you're totally making me tear up right now".  Guns is a business and in business you go where they money is and the money isn't with us thousands.  The money is with the radio hits fans who just want to go to a good concert and go home, instead of coming home and posting on mygnr.com all night and bitching.  The thing is, half or more of the one's who aren't ever happy have most likely never laid down the cold hard cash on the table to go see them live because if you have, there's no way you could've walked away not feeling like you witnessed something pretty cool.  This band, even the old one's (except when it really was bad with Ashba) still put on some good shows.

I mean, we're so fucking nuts that a simple rumor of someone's friend who said that she said, that he said, that she said, that they said, Izzy is doing soundcheck and this place is going bonkers lol.  There's been a thousand of those type rumors over the years and we fall for it every time.  

Having said all that, I ask the question.... Have we crossed the proverbial bridge of where we went from being just normal or die-hard fans, to GN'R experts and think we know what's best for the band?  I think so.  

I do not understand what has happened to audiences these days in truth. It is as if the 'Macdonalds' monochrome culture', of instantaneous gratification from the same highly familiar stodge, coupled with extreme impatience at novelty and artistry, has entered the heads of concert goers - and the bands have accommodated suitably by converting themselves to legacy acts. I have Hendrix bootlegs where Jimi is playing entire sets of new material, with an entirely new band, and the crowd give off a rapturous applause (for Hendrix lovers, I am of course referring to the Band of Gypsy Fillmore shows). There are Dylan and Neil Young shows like this. Heck, Axl had the balls to attempt five or so new songs in 2001 (not sure about the crowd reaction but from the Vegas boot, 'The Blues' seemed to go down splendidly?).

I'm not an expert by any means - I forget stuff too easily, mix up timelines etc...so I guess I'm just a big fan. Not the biggest fan by a long shot as I don't travel to multiple shows or collect memorabilia (bar the odd shirt). I care enough to come here everyday though.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not understand what has happened to audiences these days in truth. It is as if the 'Macdonalds' monochrome culture', of instantaneous gratification from the same highly familiar stodge, coupled with extreme impatience at novelty and artistry, has entered the heads of concert goers - and the bands have accommodated suitably by converting themselves to legacy acts. I have Hendrix bootlegs where Jimi is playing entire sets of new material, with an entirely new band, and the crowd give off a rapturous applause (for Hendrix lovers, I am of course referring to the Band of Gypsy Fillmore shows). There are Dylan and Neil Young shows like this. Heck, Axl had the balls to attempt five or so new songs in 2001 (not sure about the crowd reaction but from the Vegas boot, 'The Blues' seemed to go down splendidly?).

I don't think your response has anything to do with the question asked as you seem to offer more of a commentary on the "concert fan" of today.  But, I love what you've written and agree that the concert experience nowadays is greatly diminished to that of years gone by.

As for the OP question, I think most people here would consider themselves a fan, some an expert (rightly or wrongly)...but in general the things you see occur here occur on forums all over the Internet for all sorts of things.  It's not like we are atypical of fans or experts nowadays.  

Personally I miss the old days where mystery and intrigue were the norm and instant gratification came infrequently.  

Edited by tsinindy

21 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I don't think your response has anything to do with the question asked as you seem to offer more of a commentary on the "concert fan" of today.  But, I love what you've written and agree that the concert experience nowadays is greatly diminished to that of years gone by.

As for the OP question, I think most people here would consider themselves a fan, some an expert (rightly or wrongly)...but in general the things you see occur here occur on forums all over the Internet for all sorts of things.  It's not like we are atypical of fans or experts nowadays.  

Personally I miss the old days where mystery and intrigue were the norm and instant gratification came infrequently.  

I was responding specifically to what I placed in bold in a quotation of the original poster's post.

People just want to be able to "tweet/twit" or post on Facebook that they were the first to see _________ and be viewed as cool among their virtual peers.

Those of of old enough to remember a time before all that crap remember just going to shows and the only thing we would know is the band name on the front of the ticket.

No instant set lists online, no forums, endless pictures and spoilers etc.... 

Just the music, it was all that mattered.

• Like 1