Would Slash do it without Duff?

Well this is just a hypothetical thing like many things on here, I love Duff and its so awesome to see him there, I love his personality, but If Duff had not met Axl and somehow Slash and Axl bumped into each other, so

1. Would Slash just go out with Axl and do it without Duff?

2. Do the ticket sales really depend on Duff? or its just mostly cause of Axl and Slash getting back together?

Slash and Duff have been friendly with Matt and have worked on Various projects with him and Matt was even a member of GNR, but still he was left out for whatever reasons.

Duff and Izzy are the best buddies, but even he is being left out for unknown reasons.

So would Slash leave out Duff too? 

Without Duff it would have been a harder sell to the promoters. Not because Duff himself is such a big draw, but three seems like the minimum number of real guys you could get away with and still get the big money.

• Like 3

Playing Chinese songs, playing with hacks, there is seemingly no end to Slash's subservience! I would not rule that scenario out therefore, except, and as others have pointed out, it appears that McKagan was the person who put this whole thing together.

• Like 1

First of all, Axl was without a bass player. Stinson had already gone and that hasn't to do with Duff.

And the other thing is that Slash probably would feel somewhat less comfortable being among the Axl's guys without Duff.

It would have been more like nuGuns with the addition of Slash. Now it is a re/thri-union with the other guys completing the lineup.

So I think that even if Axl had met with Slash directly, Duff would have got the call.

Don't forget that Axl had said in the past that he was open to work with Duff or Izzy.

With Matt is a whole different situation. It's clear that Axl doesn't want him back. 

5 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

There would have to be a good reason why Duff wouldn't be able to play the GNR shows but either Tommy would come back or Todd Kerns would fill in. 

Im not talking about who would fill in for Duff, as I said I love Duff and I really hated Tommy. But if Duff's name would not have come up and Axl just said to Slash that hey man lets just both of us play with the other hired members, would Slash agree and ditch Duff?

Slash and Duff din't know Fortus and Frank that well, Slash had even invited Fortus to play in his band but Fortus had such a big nose that he declined, but even after this Slash is working with them and din't bring out his old friend Matt who he knows for so many years. 

So do you see Slash doing this to Duff too IF Duff was not a "partner" and din't have a right to say like Izzy, Matt and Gilby. 

I think maybe Slash would, he came across as quite jealous when he commented on Duff playing with fake GnR. I think if he bumped into Axl after that, he would think screw Duff, it's my turn.

His ego would probably get the better of him, showing GnR fans exactly what they've been missing and that he's the best guitarist they ever had would be far too tempting for him.

That and money. 

• Like 1

Slash and Duff should have stuck up for their old friends, they should have gone like Its with Izzy, Steven and Matt otherwise we are not joining. If Axl put a 2nd keyboardist name on the table, then they should have put Izzy's and Matt's name on the table. 

I don't know how much Izzy is demanding, yeah we can talk crap about Izzy, but its his band too, I know he won't be asking equal as Slash or more than Slash, but if he is asking more money than what they are paying to Fortus, then he is not wrong. 

Matt was not even asked about it.

I guess money just talks.....

Edited by Slash787
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

Slash and Duff should have stuck up for their old friends, they should have gone like Its with Izzy, Steven and Matt otherwise we are not joining. If Axl put a 2nd keyboardist name on the table, then they should have put Izzy's and Matt's name on the table. 

I don't know how much Izzy is demanding, yeah we can talk crap about Izzy, but its his band too, I know he won't be asking equal as Slash or more than Slash, but if he is asking more money than what they are paying to Fortus, then he is not wrong. 

Matt was not even asked about it.

I guess money just talks.....

I'm sure slash and duff tried. It's axls band. You think slash and duff said "hey Axl, Frank should be the drummer he's the best and most qualified!". Probably not.

You think slash and duff said to Axl "well, with pitman out maybe we should get that Melissa Reese chick! You know, the one you worked with on the Chinese remixes?"  I doubt it. 

"Hey Axl, we both are sick of playing our solo material or anything outside of guns n roses. Chinese democracy, better, this I love, and even sorry and prostitute are guns n roses songs so, we should probably play those over ours" - Slash and Duff. Oh wait, that's got to be a false quote, right?

Guns n Roses is Axl Rose's band. Duff and Slash have a serious say but, it's clear Axl has the final signature on everything they agree to. End rant 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I think maybe Slash would, he came across as quite jealous when he commented on Duff playing with fake GnR. I think if he bumped into Axl after that, he would think screw Duff, it's my turn.

His ego would probably get the better of him, showing GnR fans exactly what they've been missing and that he's the best guitarist they ever had would be far too tempting for him.

That and money. 

Didn't come across as jealous at all to me. Just realistc. At the time He said Duff and Axl have a different relationship

3 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Didn't come across as jealous at all to me. Just realistc. At the time He said Duff and Axl have a different relationship

And then he went on about how he wouldn't be able to handle the late start times and how a number of things would have to change. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing him, I was kind of glad he seemed jealous, cos that meant he cared. 

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

I think first of all that the lack of drugs made this completely possible. As some of you know, I manage a strip club, and when girls and anyone are on drugs they will lie (more than normal), they're not reliable and they become just so clouded in judgement and small things become big things very fast and will eventually lead to a slow agonizing or unexpected instant breakup.

While Axl used drugs in the past, he always had to be the responsible one because unlike the others he didn't have an issue with drugs despite using them he quite simply didn't need them, while the others in the band depended on them: Slash & Izzy especially. Now that Slash is clean on everything and has gotten rid of Perla, the drugs & money hungry bitch aren't pushing him away from Axl and now Axl actually has the support system from his bandmates instead of feeling like the only source of glue that keeps it together. I'm not blaming Slash for anything because I always tended to take his side in the "dark ages" of GNR but I think all of these guys being clean makes things pretty cut & dry and keeps the clouded judgement at bay. I'd like to point out that most of the leaches that influenced Axl in a bad way toward the rest of the band in the early-mid 90s have now been dissolved into history and/or exposed for what they were...fame grabbing gremlins.

Now they've got experience behind them and they've most likely accepted their own responsibility in the breakup. Each to some extent has probably gotten rid of each others demons that plagued them during the original run of GNR. Axl isn't fighting with a wife, Slash isn't doing smack and Duff matured into a respectable rock & roll dad and person in general.

Loving these guys has always been like what I would think having a set of divorced parents would be like, you can see both points of view and both points of failure but you love them both anyway.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

The promoters of the tour wanted Axl, Slash, Duff.  That was the deal that was offered, it had to be at least Axl, Slash, Duff.

Anyone else was not required to make a deal with the promoters.

Duff got Axl and Slash back on working terms, and the money helps too. 

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And then he went on about how he wouldn't be able to handle the late start times and how a number of things would have to change. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing him, I was kind of glad he seemed jealous, cos that meant he cared. 

That doesnt mean he was jealous at all. Its clear the way things are operating now that alot of the grievances he would have with the whole thing were addressed. Axl's sudden punctuality isnt solely down to him afterall, that was something both Duff and Slash wanted.

11 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

First of all, Axl was without a bass player. Stinson had already gone and that hasn't to do with Duff.

And the other thing is that Slash probably would feel somewhat less comfortable being among the Axl's guys without Duff.

It would have been more like nuGuns with the addition of Slash. Now it is a re/thri-union with the other guys completing the lineup.

So I think that even if Axl had met with Slash directly, Duff would have got the call.

Don't forget that Axl had said in the past that he was open to work with Duff or Izzy.

With Matt is a whole different situation. It's clear that Axl doesn't want him back. 

Cool story bro

Axl or Slash would not have reunited without Duff.

Matt thing is different, he dug his own grave with regards GnR. He bad mouthed Axl on interviews and tv shows like behind the music, he criticized the band for its piano based songs etc... Matt was deluded enough to think he could criticize the band, it's music and frontman as if he were part of the original lineup. Only the big 5 could get away with this, similarly if fortus or frank were to crticize slash or duff they'd be outta the band yesterday.

Im not bothered matts out tbh. I just hope Steven joins at some point in next year, at the very least as 1 of 2 drummers to play the AFD songs live.

5 minutes ago, chokes said:

Axl or Slash would not have reunited without Duff.

Matt thing is different, he dug his own grave with regards GnR. He bad mouthed Axl on interviews and tv shows like behind the music, he criticized the band for its piano based songs etc... Matt was deluded enough to think he could criticize the band, it's music and frontman as if he were part of the original lineup. Only the big 5 could get away with this, similarly if fortus or frank were to crticize slash or duff they'd be outta the band yesterday.

Im not bothered matts out tbh. I just hope Steven joins at some point in next year, at the very least as 1 of 2 drummers to play the AFD songs live.

And Steven has sued them a million times primarily Axl and still receiving his share 26yrs after being fired. Far worse and Axl gladly welcomed him back. Matt would be the drummer but Axl is admirably loyal so Frank is going nowhere

9 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

If Frank wasn't already here and Slash and Duff wanted Matt he would be the drummer. This supposed hatred for for Axl is being completely manufactured and exaggerated by fans imo. They proven they are capable of letting bygones be bygones and moving on

It was rumored that Slash and Duff did actually try to get Matt back in the band..http://www.alternativenation.net/slash-duff-mckagan-lobbied-for-axl-rose-to-bring-back-ex-guns-n-roses-member/