how will our favorite music be played live in 10 years time?

action

let's face it, most of our favorite bands are going to retire between now and 10 years. Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Rolling Stones...

It will  be interesting to see, giving the interest from people of hearing these songs live, how they will bring these songs in a live setting.

Kind of like with classical music, where the creator died hundreds of years ago but the music is still played.

Will there be "official" cover groups who will bring the songs as close to the originals as possible, maybe with musicians who have a likeness to the original members?

The difference between classical music and popular music is that there is more emphasis on performance, i.e. the integrity of a definitive interpretation. Partially this is because popular music coincides with the 'recorded age' whereas, by default, classical music was played by multiple musicians (e.g. courtly performers) in order to proliferate itself across Europe - although, it has to be said that there is some seminal recordings by early twentieth century composers, e.g. Elgar. Recordings inherently create a definitive performance: we consequentially become accustomed to hearing popular music interpreted through one particular voice or instrumentalist. Alternative interpretations are filed away under 'cover versions', a second rate tier. Also there is an element of 'Romantic' snobbery valued by the generation commencing with Dylan and The Beatles which values popular performers playing their own compositions.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The difference between classical music and popular music is that there is more emphasis on performance, i.e. the integrity of a definitive interpretation. Partially this is because popular music coincides with the 'recorded age' whereas, by default, classical music was played by multiple musicians (e.g. courtly performers) in order to proliferate itself across Europe - although, it has to be said that there is some seminal recordings by early twentieth century composers, e.g. Elgar. Recordings inherently create a definitive performance: we consequentially become accustomed to hearing popular music interpreted through one particular voice or instrumentalist. Alternative interpretations are filed away under 'cover versions', a second rate tier. Also there is an element of 'Romantic' snobbery valued by the generation commencing with Dylan and The Beatles which values popular performers playing their own compositions.

agreed, but things will be different in 10 years time. Today, we still have the choice: watch the original performer, or watch a sub-par coverband. But in 10 years time, coverbands will be our only "option" to hear these songs played live.

it will THEN be economically valuably, to tour with an official cover group. Something like the Elvis or Jimi touring bands. They are managed by the heirs of the original artist, who in most cases will watch over its musical integrity.

You will then have the option to watch the "official" coverband, or the unofficial coverband.

I can also imagine grand scale talent scoutings to find the best possible performer for each character, a bit like the Queen Extravaganza talent contest.

When we look at that prospect with the eyes of today we find that cheesy and fake, but in 10 years, 20 years, 50 years it could long have become common good.

You're also seeing Phil Collins playing in a Genesis tribute band, Billy Joel playing in a Billy Joel tribute band. KISS wants to have official tribute bands in full regalia. Beatles had Beatle tribute bands when John Lennon was still alive.  

Stuff like Broadway musicals and Cirque de Soleil also keep the back catalog flowing with money. 

Joni Mitchell probably will never play music again but there's a lot of women who are still inspired by her on a small stage to stadiums. The Monkees weren't even a "real" band but they're doing a 50th anniversary tour and put a great album out this year. 

Same with Prince - Duff's got P's logo on the bass and they'll find a way to keep the music alive. Maybe Cirque de Soleil. 

Musicals can resurrect the memory of any artist from any era. 

The question nobody is raising is, where is the new Elvis? The new Beatles? The new Stones? It is as if rock music became mummified somewhere around the early-mid '90s, say, after the release of Nevermind or Morning Glory, and became a museum piece. Where are the people trying to, to use American colloquial, kick Elvis and The Beatles's arse? They simply don't exist!! Rock now is represented solely by wrinkly acts, golden oldies giving you a slab of Macdonalds inspired nostalgia - and with their passing, it will be represented by mere cabaret.

That is all we will be left with, cabaret.

I've always kind of guessed over the years that the cover band industry will boom in another ten to fifteen years, likely with "official" tribute acts. There's quite a demand to see so many of the greats live that I reckon people will still pay money for something as close as possible. "Official" tributes might even include former members or children of - like Frank Zappa's son or Jason Bonham's Zeppelin thing.

• Like 1

To me rock n roll was of a time and that time has gone and the best of it will forever be of that time, it's to do with society and social conditions and music representing the identity of a time.  No rock n roll will stand up to old rock n roll just like no blues will stand up to Mr Johnson or Skip James or Son House or Jimi Hendrix.  Rock n Roll has run it's course, simple as that.  And I've no problem with that, there's enough in the history of rock n roll and rhythm and blues and the blues that i haven't dipped into, more than enough, to keep me occupied with that genre til my dying days, i don't really feel a need for new matierial.  The fact is rock music stopped evolving after a time and thats why it is dead.  That ain't it's particular evolutions and permutations were, well, a bit shite.  Reggae didn't have that problem, it had been evolving and evolving and evolving for a great long while and it's still around and has a very healthy audience still. 

Guitar based music just ain't the thing of today...and i have a more than healthy love for hip hop and other forms of music and enough of an interest in stuff of the past like Jazz, though i do like a great deal of it i haven't really got my head around it yet and there's a wealth of music there, I ain't short of new shit (by which i mean shit new to me) and i have no particular need for the music i listen to be thats big in a contemporary sense, quite frankly thats a young mans problem and I'm 33, what fuckin' difference is it gonna make to me if some new fuckin' band that nails it for youth culture comes around, I'll probably think they're a bunch of wankers, they ain't gonna represent anything to do with my experience, that stuff was done by The Sex Pistols and The Stone Roses and Nirvana and Oasis and all that shit.

Quite frankly no band will ever touch The Sex Pistols for me anyway.  You will never see a bunch of proper lads on the scene like that again.  I remember The Libertines and then The Arctic Monkeys happening and everyone going 'it's happening, it's happening, it's happening!' and i just remember thinking what a bunch of minges.  I like the Artic Monkeys first song, that seemed alright, i like how they sort of sung in northern accents but didn't really go a bundle for the rest of it.  Libertines just came off like a bunch of try-hard London students with good hairdos slumming.

Edited by Len B'stard

On 14 July 2016 at 1:00 AM, DieselDaisy said:

The question nobody is raising is, where is the new Elvis? The new Beatles? The new Stones? It is as if rock music became mummified somewhere around the early-mid '90s, say, after the release of Nevermind or Morning Glory, and became a museum piece. Where are the people trying to, to use American colloquial, kick Elvis and The Beatles's arse? They simply don't exist!! Rock now is represented solely by wrinkly acts, golden oldies giving you a slab of Macdonalds inspired nostalgia - and with their passing, it will be represented by mere cabaret.

That is all we will be left with, cabaret.

The innovations were in other areas than straight rock. Like dance culture, hip hop etc. 

i just don't think Elvis type artists will shake the world. You could say MJ was the Elvis and Chili Peppers were the Beatles. But culturally the thrill is gone. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

LGTBBTBG?

In my defense I didn't call them shemales or chicks with dicks.

About 15 years ago a fella i know who used to be a cab driver called Jim did the switch.  I worked in an office with him which looked out onto the road.  It was an odd sort of situation because I'm kinda there working with him so you've got to exercise a bit of sensitivity but at the same time it was hilairious.  Some of the things that happened.  Because he literally came in one day dressed as a bird.  Anyway, this one time right some lads are walking by the office and one of em shouts 'oi look, it's  a geezer-bird!' :lol:  Thats one you don't hear anymore eh, geezer-bird :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1