11/04/16 - Buenos Aires, AR - River Plate Stadium

alfierose

3 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

That's not the entire picture, either.  Slash and Duff are partners.....NOT just "replacements".....huge difference.

And your point? The legal side of this comes with them rejoining the band DUE to the vacancies. 

its not like Slaah and Duff one day woke up and said "holy shit, we have ownership in GnR let's go kick out Tommy and BBF"

8 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

DJ gets a lot of flack here but he doesn't need gnr like some of the others who've walked thru that door do.

It's more or less the only reason he's known, like every other guitarist in the band who's not Slash or Izzy.

Edited by moreblack

3 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

And your point? The legal side of this comes with them rejoining the band DUE to the vacancies. 

its not like Slaah and Duff one day woke up and said "holy shit, we have ownership in GnR let's go kick out Tommy and BBF"

Yeah, so what?  You make it sound like Axl went out and hired 2 replacements.  And that's not the case.  There's a good chance G N' R would have been done for good had this reunion not taken place....especially with what happened with AC/DC.  No way Axl hires 2 more guys and tours Nu Guns anymore, especially with the AC/DC gig.

14 minutes ago, Padme said:

No twist. You better watch the periscope and videos again. When Axl introduced the band they barely clap when Frank was introduced. They exploded, screaming like crazy when Adler took the stage.

Did the fact that Frank Is the bands permanent full time drummer deter fans from coming to see the band tonight or any other night on this tour? How relevant do you think Steven and Frank are In relation to ticket sells? I would hope that Adler would get the louder ovation considering he was an original band member but regardless of our loyalty to the original members the majority attending the show care about two people and I think we all know who those two people are. As far as Izzy and Steven go, the majority  could take them or leave them and ticket sells prove this argument considering the band Is playing to packed stadiums without them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kasanova King said:

Yeah, so what?  You make it sound like Axl went out and hired 2 replacements.  And that's not the case.  There's a good chance G N' R would have been done for good had this reunion not taken place....especially with what happened with AC/DC.  No way Axl hires 2 more guys and tours Nu Guns anymore, especially with the AC/DC gig.

Well as long and slash and duff get paid the same as Axl and have some say in it, what do they care right? It's pretty clear Axl has the final say but even Axl said himself that when duff and slash joined or rejoined, they worked with Frank and Richard. They learned how to play some old songs the way those guys played them, with them. They're also playing 6 songs off of Chinese Democracy. Just saying, it's not like duff and slash have the exact same say but they have more of a say than the other 4, I just think Axl has the final sign off on everything. 

Just now, ironmt said:

Did the fact that Frank Is the bands permanent full time drummer deter fans from coming to see the band tonight or any other night on this tour? How relevant do you think Steven and Frank are In relation to ticket sells? I would hope that Adler would get the louder ovation considering he was an original band member but regardless of our loyalty to the original members the majority attending the show care about two people and I think we all know who those two people are. As far as Izzy and Steven go, the majority  could take them or leave them and ticket sells prove this argument considering the band Is playing to packed stadiums without them.

Absolutely this.  

Don't get me wrong, seeing Steven at the Dodger Stadium show was a "bucket" list moment for me and it made my night.  It meant a lot to me to see 4 of the 5 AFD guys on stage.  But at the same time there were a lot of people in my section who clearly did not know the history or didn't care about how awesome of a guest appearance it is.  The driving force of GNR's ticket sales revolve around a red head and a dude with a top hat, whenever Steven shows up I feel like it is best to consider it the "cherry on top" instead of something that GNR is morally or concert ticket sales-wise obligated to do on behalf of anyone

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

Well as long and slash and duff get paid the same as Axl and have some say in it, what do they care right? It's pretty clear Axl has the final say but even Axl said himself that when duff and slash joined or rejoined, they worked with Frank and Richard. They learned how to play some old songs the way those guys played them, with them. They're also playing 6 songs off of Chinese Democracy. Just saying, it's not like duff and slash have the exact same say but they have more of a say than the other 4, I just think Axl has the final sign off on everything. 

Every interview that has come out had basically said that all 3 of them have about equal say in what goes on.  Axl stated during the Troubadour gig that Slash and Duff did the set-list.  And he's also stated that Slash and Duff learned the Chinese Democracy songs on their own.  Axl said this.  So no, I no longer think it's all Axl's call.  And that's the reason they're all getting along so well.  They all respect each other to the point that they listen to what everyone wants.....Axl gets CD songs because Slash and Duff had no problem learning them and Slash gets Coma because Axl knew it would make Slash happy playing it.  This is  a real band again.

3 minutes ago, ironmt said:

But when it comes to preference, if fans could vote. If it was up them. They would pick Adler and Izzy over Frank and Richard. There are things that are beyond fans control. So they are happy with Axl and Slash of course. But they will be even happier with the original 5, at least most of the fans. That's why if they feature Adler as guest he should play a lot more than one or two songs. 

My 2 cents on Stevens one song only incident.. 

Rumor was Argentinian promoter had a condition for the Buenos Aires shows and that was having Steven as guest appearance. 

Maybe it was a good old fuck you from uncle Axl to the promoter. 

3 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Every interview that has come out had basically said that all 3 of them have about equal say in what goes on.  Axl stated during the Troubadour gig that Slash and Duff did the set-list.  And he's also stated that Slash and Duff learned the Chinese Democracy songs on their own.  Axl said this.  So no, I no longer think it's all Axl's call.  And that's the reason they're all getting along so well.  They all respect each other to the point that they listen to what everyone wants.....Axl gets CD songs because Slash and Duff had no problem learning them and Slash gets Coma because Axl knew it would make Slash happy playing it.  This is  a real band again.

You're right on the money with this.

Slash was adament for years that he wouldnt return to GNR unless things changed from they way things were done in the past. The exorbitant amounts of money have always been on the table for them. So if it were all about selling out, they would have done so alot sooner when there was more money in the industry in comparison to today anyways. I highly doubt he and Duff returned to be dictated too and told what to do. Its clear that things are being done with the 3 of them in agreement. Whether People like it or not, All the cards are in their hands when it comes to Steven or Izzy playing with them and everything else for that matter. 

The fans have no kind of power when it comes to this, because they would never hit the band where it truly hurts, their bank accounts anyways. Even when I was at the Dodger stadium show night 2, there were a few people talking about the fact that Izzy not being there was a joke....But that didnt stop them from going to the gig and paying to see the band anyways. And even the people that complain on here alot have no power over them, because they still come on here, they still listen to the records, they buy merch and all of that. many of them have even paid to go see the band live, because even if the lineup isnt perfect to their liking, they wouldnt miss out on it. Therefore Fans have no power. Im content with what is currently going on, enough so that I paid to see them here in LA. When it was NU-GNR i didnt spend a dime on that band. I would never buy into something I dont believe in. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

A real band through quite a bit of compromise but cmon.. Axl owns the name. This could all go to hell and Guns N' Roses could hypothetically perform again, if Axl wanted to. He would never give up the name. So slash and duff learned Chinese songs on their own but it's not like they're bringing their own seperate solo material into it. Axl was compromising with the new guns or at least according to Tommy he was so.. it's the same thing. It's a bigger pay scale for slash and duff. I'm just saying It's clear Axl has the final signature but of course they're all compromising to a point. 

Also, you have to remember that slash and duff didn't vote on band members. They took on who was there

Edited by Billsfan

Just now, Padme said:

But when it comes to preference, if fans could vote. If it was up them. They would pick Adler and Izzy over Frank and Richard. There are things that are beyond fans control. So they are happy with Axl and Slash of course. But they will be even happier with the original 5, at least most of the fans. That's why if they feature Adler as guest he should play a lot more than one or two songs. 

I completely agree with you that If fans could vote members In and out that Adler and Izzy would get more votes than Frank and Richard.

1 minute ago, ironmt said:

I completely agree with you that If fans could vote members In and out that Adler and Izzy would get more votes than Frank and Richard.

They would. Izzy and Steven vs Gilby and Matt vs Steven and Izzy or any combo of that. But it's clear duff and slash didn't have a say in who was there and they probably didn't care, really. 

1 minute ago, DIST said:

My 2 cents on Stevens one song only incident.. 

Rumor was Argentinian promoter had a condition for the Buenos Aires shows and that was having Steven as guest appearance. 

Maybe it was a good old fuck you from uncle Axl to the promoter. 

We don't know the details.  It's very possible the promoter had to pay Adler's fee (or take it out of his cut) and only paid him for one song.  Or maybe they weren't planning on playing "My Michelle" and that's the only other song they practiced with Adler.  We don't know. Unless someone knows specifics, doesn't make a lot of sense to speculate.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

They would. Izzy and Steven vs Gilby and Matt vs Steven and Izzy or any combo of that. But it's clear duff and slash didn't have a say in who was there and they probably didn't care, really. 

Very true.

I am still just honestly happy that Axl, Slash, and Duff are on the same stage. That has not gotten old to me at all, Steven showing up at all to me is just a very very kickass bonus that adds to the show.  

Imagine this forum in 2014 reading some of the comments in this thread complaining about Adler only doing a short guest appearance!  I don't know, I guess after dealing with DJ Ashba and un-motivated Axl I try to look at the positive things about this reunion as opposed to looking for things to be unhappy with.  I am happy Steven is doing anything at all with GNR because it very very easily could never have happened

• Like 4

Hmm... I wasn't able to hang out and go on the great Periscope hunt tonight, however, I have now caught up reading the thread for all that I missed and I come to learned one surprising thing. This forum is much happier when Steven doesn't play.

This has totally shocked me. When Steven plays the concert thread turns grumpy and whiny. It is even worse than the last one where everyone was worried about Axl's voice. Instead of being happy for Steven and this chance he is getting and enjoying it when he gets to be on stage when he could have very easily been completely cut out people are pitying him.

• Like 1