Re-releases of ChiDem with Slash/Duff?

1 minute ago, Russel Nash said:

Get over CD for fuck sake.

The only way i want to hear CD2 is the already recorded version(original) with Finck, Bucket, Stinson, etc. We had enough of rearrangements, new pointless solos replacing perfect ones like May's on Catcher, new effects, sub bass, etc.

New music with Duff and Slash or the "old/vault" material as is.

Yes, what the man says... Let it rest and give us some new stuff or crack open the vaults from the past.

19 minutes ago, SurfsUp said:

i was going to post something like this in the chicago review thread, but i never got around to doing so. fits better here anyway.

i've been having a hard time imagining what a new old GN'R record would even sound like at this point. i know that axl has played slash and duff some of the songs he had (he mentioned at that china exchange interview), and he said they were into them. but how much will each side be willing to compromise when they're writing? surely slash is going to want to tune down the electronic elements in the tracks and i can't imagine axl singing over pretty basic hard rock songs at all anymore. lyrically speaking, his style of writing is a complete 180 from the UYI era. i guess, when it comes to new music, i'm going to miss robin and bucket, as i feel like they were really pushing boundaries for axl that he was excited about. i can't see slash or duff writing anything similar to them, obviously, so i suppose i don't know where the sincerity of any new music will be other than sincerely wanting a paycheck.

sorry for ramblin'!

This is why maybe Axl will hold on to his CD era material and then have Slash rework it like he did with Better etc live. Or Axl really has shown them very rough versions. 

But yeah that doesn't vibe truly with the reunion people are experiencing. So Slash and Duff will need to bring some old school Guns material. 

1 hour ago, Un42nutzly said:

I've come to like your perspective, it's real, it's harsh, but you're still a GN'R fan (so we are on the same team)

Huge fan for coming on 30 years man! I just want to see the band be the best they can be. I know that can be subjective on some subjects but I also know that many people agree with me on a a lot of them

We are all on the same team. Anyone that is here who isn't a fan is just an jack off ;)

• Like 2

I like This I Love and having Slash on it makes it even better, FYI This I Love does sound like an old GnR song it is the same style as November Rain, now Better and Chinese are different sounds but i do like what Slash and Duff have done with them. Everyone has there own opinions and taste but Id much rather here the setlist they are playing than a setlist with just appettie stuff, dont get me wrong i love appetite as well but i like the rockers the ballads and the epics thats what make GnR are great band and not a band that just did one great album. The Pittsburgh show was amazing loved every moment of it, and they sounded better than they did in 1992 when i saw them at 3 rivers with Metallica

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would have like to see Slash and Duff working with Axl back then yes.. That way they could have potentially released an album that wasn't as awful as CD. The album is what it is at this point. I'd rather not see the band waste any more time re-recording what I see as crap songs whether they make them a little better or not.  Just my opinion. I respect yours.

I get where you're coming from but do you really not enjoy songs like Sorry and TWAT? The Buckethead solos on those songs are immense -- his work on Sorry sounds like David Gilmour. He's not Slash but Buckethead is easily the highlight of that album.

I still think a good half of those songs could have been great GnR songs if they ripped out the bloat and had Duff and Slash retool them. 

11 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I get where you're coming from but do you really not enjoy songs like Sorry and TWAT? The Buckethead solos on those songs are immense -- his work on Sorry sounds like David Gilmour. He's not Slash but Buckethead is easily the highlight of that album.

I still think a good half of those songs could have been great GnR songs if they ripped out the bloat and had Duff and Slash retool them. 

Nah I don't like Sorry. Just watched it from last night and still don't.. I honestly couldn't even tell you what TWAT sounds like right now.. Its been so long since I heard it but I have heard all the songs.. I was into what Axl was doing for awhile. I used to really like the live versions of CD, The Blues and Madagascar when they first came out after that Rock In Rio. Didn't think the studio versions stood up to them. I REALLY liked that live version of CD and don't like the studio one at all. I honestly think the album is fucking terrible. Like not listenable. Before it came out, I didn't think Axl was capable of writing a bad song. I even like My World for what it is. I was wrong.

• Like 1

it's awesome they are doing Sorry. I'm surprised they aren't doing Street of Dreams with Dizzy. Shackler's is the one I really want Slash to beef up. Then Madagascar and Catcher and you've got the cream of CD. 

It would be awful because Slash's take on the songs have been awful.

The only positive being the Better intro but thats just a minor addon.

There is absolutely no reason to re-record CD just like there was absolutely no reason to even think about re-recording AFD and expressing those thoughts out loud in public

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

It would be awful because Slash's take on the songs have been awful.

The only positive being the Better intro but thats just a minor addon.

I think Chinese Democracy, Better and This I Love have all been good interpretations by Slash, the latter took more time getting it down.

Sorry and There Was A Time, I have not been a fan of so far.

4 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I think Chinese Democracy, Better and This I Love have all been good interpretations by Slash, the latter took more time getting it down.

Sorry and There Was A Time, I have not been a fan of so far.

That's why a studio recording would be so intriguing. It would be a polished recording that has solidarity to it. Right now, the solos are awesome, but they do seem improvised a bit.

If these were put to a recording, I feel the work would be more polished and have a permanent feel to it.

I would say no to a remaster CD with Slash  and Duff. Leave it be and move forward. If anything, just do live versions of each song  on this tour and release it on a live album IF that's what Axl wants. I would rather have the 3 of the + Izzy, Steven, Fortus, and Frank to come up with some new songs or work on unreleased songs no which era they came from. 

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

God no.. Maybe a b-side or something if they ever put out an album but there is no point. Let the songs be.. Or die. 

People have been wanting CD to be more than it was since 2000.. Let that era die.. Move on.. It has been 16 years of Chinese Democracy.. It wasn't that good. Some people love it, many don't.. It is what it is.. Play a couple songs live if they really need to but don't waste time recording them again.. I don't mind the title track but  the other ones they have played they still sound like crap to me with maybe a better guitar solo.. I suffered through TIL the other night trying again to give it a chance and it still sucked but the Slash solo at the end was cool.

I guess to each his own...but TIL was one of my highlights from last night's show...except for Slash's new solo.  I'm just not feeling his take, but granted, I am very used to the studio cut and prior live performances.

Axl sang the hell outta TIL last night!!!

Edited by Axl4Prez2004
oops, didn't post that correctly

In an ideal world, Axl would just release the CD remix album and 1 or 2 discs of CD-era tracks, then release an album with this lineup. But another recording of Chinese Democracy isn't even that interesting, let alone necessary, and it's one of my all-time favorite albums.

Edited by Gordon Comstock