Don't Damn Me

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I dont get it...Dont Damn Me is too many words too fast, but they play coma now? lol

Axl sings the ending to Coma good enough..they should totally attempt this song Axl can do it

I guess the difference is that on Coma the fast part is only the ending. On Don't Damn Me it's almost the whole song. Everyone can see that Axl's always struggling on the ending of Coma. It probably wouldn't be pretty to see Axl struggling like that through the whole song.

Don't Damn Me is one of my favorite songs so naturally I'd love to see it played live. But I totally understand if Axl doesn't want to do it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gnr>everything said:

I remember a quote from Axl about it saying that they never did it live because the studio version "spoke for itself" or "said everything it needed to say" or something like that. Which is pretty clearly a cop-out, unless he feels all the songs they do perform don't speak for themselves or don't say what they need to say.:laugh:

That was Get In The Ring

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Ha Ha. Yeah, probably. I totally love that song, but it is fast to sing and tons of lyrics to remember too.

I love listening to that song. Love the lyrics. So true about GNR and Axl especially. He's always said what he's felt, and damn everyone else.:axl92:

Yes both DDM and Locomotive are the Illusion title tracks in a way. Great take on fame mixed in with other stuff. 

• Like 1

Damn is a great song period musically and lyrically. I actually tweeted Duff last week mentioning that I liked his book and that I was going to the TO show and that it would be nice to see Damn me or Perfect Crime on the setlist.  Since he seems to be the catalyst for this reunion and getting Slash and Axl to communicate I figured might as well go to the source!! (Didnt get a tweet back and don't expect one either)

23 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

Kinda redundant to say it's hard to catch a breath when we're talking about the guy that wrote Garden of Eden. 

And the fact that they actually performed GoE live during the UYI era. If they could attempt that one, makes no sense why DDM wasn't ever played. It should have been played at least once or twice, just as Locomotive was.

16 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I guess the difference is that on Coma the fast part is only the ending. On Don't Damn Me it's almost the whole song. Everyone can see that Axl's always struggling on the ending of Coma. It probably wouldn't be pretty to see Axl struggling like that through the whole song.

Don't Damn Me is one of my favorite songs so naturally I'd love to see it played live. But I totally understand if Axl doesn't want to do it.

I get that he likely can't pull it off now. But there's no reason it wasn't ever attempted back in the day. Even if it was a challenge back then, it should have been played. A great song like that deserves to be performed at least a couple of times.

Hypothetically, what if it would have becomes a big hit on the level of SCOM or Jungle? Would they have continued to refuse to play one of their hits?

the idea that this song would be hard to sing is bullshit. Lyrically if he can remember Coma he can Don't  Damn Me. I can spout the lyrics off right now off the top of my head so pretty sure Axl could do it no problem.  Also you could basically talk the song in a  lower register kinda like It's So Easy. The song kicks ass and would be awesome to hear and Axl could do it no problem. Funny seeing so many people claim it's "too difficult" :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Interesting, the song has a spitfire delivery vocal wise but i would have thought the tone he sings it in wouldn't make it that difficult. By ear i would have thought the section after Slash's solo on YCBM or the the outro to Coma would be way more difficult breathing wise but i'm no singer so it mustn't be. Shame looks like the doors shut on that song as a live track it's easily in my top 5 from the Illusions albums.

Ok, first of all I'd like to point out that I really do love DDM. In fact it has been always one of my fav three tracks from both UYI albums since 1991, beside YCBM and 14 years. 

But when it comes to the upcoming gigs I would love it even more to see Guns play Locomotive, Dead Horse, Perfect Crime, Back off Bitch or RNDTH once again, especially Locomotive. I cannot tell you why I prefer one of those tracks, its just a gut feeling. 

After one more guess I think that they should do Locomotive only. Perfect Crime and Next Door are nothing but 1991 for me. They cannot do it any better. Same goes for Back of Bitch having the old club days in mind. Dead Horse is awesome but Locomotive deserves it to be performed by "full grown musicians" cause its just a killer (prog)rock track. 

... sorry for being confusing, I had some beer ? 

• 7 months later...

Don't mean to dredge up this old thread but I just happened upon it.

What is with all the comments on the lyrics being difficult to remember?  They've had teleprompters on stage at least since the UYI tour so remembering lyrics shouldn't be an issue on any song.

10 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Don't mean to dredge up this old thread but I just happened upon it.

What is with all the comments on the lyrics being difficult to remember?  They've had teleprompters on stage at least since the UYI tour so remembering lyrics shouldn't be an issue on any song.

Exactly, even I can remember that song.. without a teleprompter. I guess they didn't play it live because it would not sound so good. According to Slash it's so fast paced with many words it's hard to sing it good live.

DDM would be a treat live.  Even without the lyrics...they oughta bust out a few deep cut riffs from the catalogue occasionally, in between the classics.  DDM and Richard fortus guitar along with slash...nuff said.  :4tus: rock3:slash::headbang::robin:  hell I bet diz could tackle some of those lyrics...

id like to hear dizzys cover of Saturday nite alright for fightn' cover get some real radio play.  It's a kickass rockin cover.

The last line Axl sings in the recorded version is "Alright, that sucked!" 

Maybe one need look no further?

And then theres the fact that Axl has expressed that he was resentful to have all these songs thrust at him to write lyric and melody to rather then a more interactive and organic process.  The lyrics might even be in reference to this to some degree.

Maybe theres lots of reasons it wasn't played on UYI tours beyond what the band was quoted on.  When the tour started and Izzy was around it might've been a lower priority because he doesnt really play much of a significant role in that song.  When Giilby joined he had to learn lots of songs in 3 weeks, DDM has a lot of chord changes so maybe they just thought they'd work it out later in tour.  The half time section - "I know you don't wanna hear me crying" section - requires Duff to play a very solid foundation.  His bass line is key there.  Maybe Duff wasn't able to be counted on due to his struggle with alcohol.  Not saying he couldn't do it by any means but maybe it was risk aversion.  

• Like 2

One of the best Guns songs, one of the best riffs in rock n' roll; kickass, in your face, honest lyrics, full of cool quotable lines, I can't even begin to describe how underrated and unfarely ignored this song is, especially compared to other illusion songs wich have good riffs here and there but the vocal lines are too all over the place.

anyway, sorry about my english... that being said, this song deserves a lot more recognition I think, and it's quite obvious if you look at my Username, that I really believe that hahaha

8 hours ago, soon said:

The last line Axl sings in the recorded version is "Alright, that sucked!" 

Maybe one need look no further?

And then theres the fact that Axl has expressed that he was resentful to have all these songs thrust at him to write lyric and melody to rather then a more interactive and organic process.  The lyrics might even be in reference to this to some degree.

Maybe theres lots of reasons it wasn't played on UYI tours beyond what the band was quoted on.  When the tour started and Izzy was around it might've been a lower priority because he doesnt really play much of a significant role in that song.  When Giilby joined he had to learn lots of songs in 3 weeks, DDM has a lot of chord changes so maybe they just thought they'd work it out later in tour.  The half time section - "I know you don't wanna hear me crying" section - requires Duff to play a very solid foundation.  His bass line is key there.  Maybe Duff wasn't able to be counted on due to his struggle with alcohol.  Not saying he couldn't do it by any means but maybe it was risk aversion.  

I was thinking the same thing