Rank AFD songs (The Final Results)

Like all great rock n roll albums, and it is a great rock n roll album, their defining moment which i don't think they'll ever be able to top, it's difficult to rank one above the other.  For many years, probably even still I'm sick of the fuckin' sight of it, having overplayed it for years and years and years but i find it works best as a complete document, it's difficult to rank one above the other.  Probably Jungle at this point in human history i could do without, simply because it's overplayed to the point of sounding corny...which ain't the songs fault, the song is great, it's the fuckin' amount of times it's been played.  But yeah, it's one of those perfect albums that doesn't really benefit from this kind of dissection. 

It's a real shame that, with the Illusions album they couldn't've just had it that one notch better than in it was.  It had all the hallmarks of a solid sophmore attempt of a great rock n roll band of that kinda 70s/80s era, if there could've just been a little less of the corny shit on it they could've just broken up at that point, like bang, we're broken up, not petering out and then the whole unfortunate NuGnR episode, from a myth-making perspective i think they'd be realistically rated with some of the greatest rock n roll bands out there.

• Like 2

Nightrain

Paradise City

Think About You

It's So Easy 

Welcome To The Jungle

Rocket Queen

Anything Goes

Sweet Child O Mine

Out Ta Get Me

Your Crazy

My Michelle

Mr. Brownstone

thats my list as of today. 

2 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

they could've just broken up at that point, like bang, we're broken up, not petering out and then the whole unfortunate NuGnR episode, from a myth-making perspective i think they'd be realistically rated with some of the greatest rock n roll bands out there.

They are even now rated with some of the greatest rock n roll bands out there.

And honestly I think the whole newGNR episode was only a good thing for the band. If they would've just broken up, they would be just another band that broke up. Nothing more, nothing less. But the whole Chinese Democracy thing has only made the history of the band more interesting. A crazy man with a bucket on his head who could only record if he was built a chicken coop in the studio to work in. That's some interesting shit. And you need that kind of stories surrounding your band if you want to be remembered as one of the most legendary bands of all times.

Trust me, when future generations will read about this band, the whole newGNR episode will be an important part in the myth of GNR.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

They are even now rated with some of the greatest rock n roll bands out there.

And honestly I think the whole newGNR episode was only a good thing for the band. If they would've just broken up, they would be just another band that broke up. Nothing more, nothing less. But the whole Chinese Democracy thing has only made the history of the band more interesting. A crazy man with a bucket on his head who could only record if he was built a chicken coop in the studio to work in. That's some interesting shit. And you need that kind of stories surrounding your band if you want to be remembered as one of the most legendary bands of all times.

Trust me, when future generations will read about this band, the whole newGNR episode will be an important part in the myth of GNR.

No, people outside of the die hard fanbase really ridicule the fact that Axl replaced Slash with a KFC bucket wearing freak. They laugh at how long it took to make Chinese Democracy and how much money Axl wasted. Other bands are frightened of "doing a Guns n Roses." 

The Sex Pistols only had that one album, but they are revered as one of the all time greats with that one album. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

No, people outside of the die hard fanbase really ridicule the fact that Axl replaced Slash with a KFC bucket wearing freak. They laugh at how long it took to make Chinese Democracy and how much money Axl wasted. Other bands are frightened of "doing a Guns n Roses." 

The Sex Pistols only had that one album, but they are revered as one of the all time greats with that one album. 

Yeah it was with The Pistols in mind that I made that comment although i don't think Guns could've even been quite that mythic.  I was also speaking semi-facetiously and with a view to myth-making, i certainly don't think they would've been on the level of The Pistols if they'd've just broken up but i don't think they would've been just another band either.  Thing about the Pistols was, despite actually being reasonably conventional musically, everything else about them was everything but, which is what led to the myth.  Guns on the other hand were quite conventional as a rock n roll band but the sheer fuckin' class of Appetite and their musical potential hinted at in Lies really set them apart for me.  They would never have been just another band of that crop of...Poison and Crue and all them, quite honestly they piss all over those bands even on their worst day.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Yes KFC bucket thing was a joke to most. But that's the point. The whole myth of GNR is so much greater because the band has been a laughing stock for so long. That's why this whole comeback is so much more dramatic. People want drama. If a band does everything well all the time, it's boring. You can't make an interesting movie about that. There has to be ups and downs. And that's why the newGNR era is such an important part of the GNR myth.

The Sex Pistols are remembered because they were in many ways the epitome of punk rock. GNR never represented a certain movement or a certain genre. That's why they're in a risk to be forgotten, unless they have a great myth surrounding them. Luckily they have probably the most legendary debut album ever and a great mythos surrounding the band.

1. Sweet Child O' Mine

2. Welcome To The Jungle

3. Nightrain

4. Its So Easy

5. Paradise City

6. Think About You

7. Rocket Queen

8. Out Ta Get Me

9. Mr. Brownstone

10. My Michelle

11. You're Crazy

12. Anything Goes

15 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yes KFC bucket thing was a joke to most. But that's the point. The whole myth of GNR is so much greater because the band has been a laughing stock for so long. That's why this whole comeback is so much more dramatic. People want drama. If a band does everything well all the time, it's boring. You can't make an interesting movie about that. There has to be ups and downs. And that's why the newGNR era is such an important part of the GNR myth.

The Sex Pistols are remembered because they were in many ways the epitome of punk rock. GNR never represented a certain movement or a certain genre. That's why they're in a risk to be forgotten, unless they have a great myth surrounding them. Luckily they have probably the most legendary debut album ever and a great mythos surrounding the band.

I agree with you. That's what makes this band so interesting, and this forum as well. You can't even rank AFD songs in here without the NuGnR era controversy springing up! Most interesting band to discuss EVER! 

• Like 1

Ooh I love lists!

1. Welcome to the jungle

2. Sweet child o'mine

3. Paradise city

4. It's so easy

5.You're crazy

6. Nightrin

7. My Michelle

8. Mr. Brownstown

9. Rocket queen

10. Out ta get me

11. Think about you 

12. Anything goes

Edited by emybdc

I agree with what Len stated above.Impossible for me to rank any songs above or below the other.For me it's rock and roll perfection to be listened in its entirety from start to finish.Even though it's coming up on 30 years I still would give it a listen or 2 every year.

21 minutes ago, emybdc said:

Ooh I love lists!

1. Welcome to the jungle

2. Sweet child o'mine

3. Paradise city

4. It's so easy

5.You're crazy

6. Nightrin

7. My Michelle

8. Mr. Brownstown

9. Rocket queen

10. Out ta get me

11. Think about you 

Not even the 12th spot for Anything Goes? :lol:

12 minutes ago, gt72 said:

I agree with what Len stated above.Impossible for me to rank any songs above or below the other.For me it's rock and roll perfection to be listened in its entirety from start to finish.Even though it's coming up on 30 years I still would give it a listen or 2 every year.

Yeah, to me AFD is really a song. I usually put it on and listen all the way thru. I'm more like once a month myself though...

Anything Goes is the only song that could've been left out. I bet the band would agree. Maybe Axl and Izzy had a fondness for it since it dates back to Hollywood Rose. Its the song I always skip along with Shotgun Blues. I wish they had gone with Back of Bitch, Shadow of your love or Reckless Life. Would've made for a flawless record but still 11 out of 12 great songs is pretty astonishing

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Love them all. Crazy to think YCBM and Don't Cry could've been on the album as well...

Or Shadow of Your Love. Or a version of You're Crazy somewhat closer to the Lies version. If any combo of those songs made it on the album in place of Anything Goes and Think About You, it would have been a flawless album. It's one of the best ever regardless, but does have a few chinks in the armor.

Rocket Queen (12pts)

Sweet Child O' Mine (11pts)

Mr. Brownstone (10pts)

Welcome to the Jungle (9pts)

Paradise City (8pts)

It's So Easy (7pts)

Nightrain (6pts)

Out Ta Get Me (5pts)

My Michelle (4pts)

You're Crazy (3pts) ... the Lies version would be in the top 5 for me.

Anything Goes (2pts)

Think About You (1pt)

With the exception of the bottom 2, this is almost like trying to rank your children. Impossible to do.

We should do this for both UYI albums too.

July 2016 list Goes like this : 

1: Mr.Brownstone

2: Rocket Queen

3: Nightrain

4: Paradise City

5: Out Ta Get Me

6: Think About You

7: Welcome To The Jungle

8: Sweet Child O' Mine

9: My Michelle

10: It's So Easy

11: Anything Goes

12: You're Crazy

Appetite is, in My opinion, the best album ever released !! Loved it since The first time I heard it.. So the list always change.... Like it has since 1987 ???

5 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Or Shadow of Your Love. Or a version of You're Crazy somewhat closer to the Lies version. If any combo of those songs made it on the album in place of Anything Goes and Think About You, it would have been a flawless album. It's one of the best ever regardless, but does have a few chinks in the armor.

Rocket Queen (12pts)

Sweet Child O' Mine (11pts)

Mr. Brownstone (10pts)

Welcome to the Jungle (9pts)

Paradise City (8pts)

It's So Easy (7pts)

Nightrain (6pts)

Out Ta Get Me (5pts)

My Michelle (4pts)

You're Crazy (3pts) ... the Lies version would be in the top 5 for me.

Anything Goes (2pts)

Think About You (1pt)

With the exception of the bottom 2, this is almost like trying to rank your children. Impossible to do.

We should do this for both UYI albums too.

Agree with all of the above, except the rankings of course.

I ranked them at the bottom as well, but Anything Goes n Think About You are always cool because they're a couple of the first songs they had... They should do a prequel AFD with those, Shadow, Crash Diet, Heartbreak Hotel, Jack Flash. "Songs We Played Before We Were Shit"...

FWIW, 6 different songs have been listed as #1 thus far. And Paradise City has yet to get a #1 vote. That kinda speaks to the overall strength and depth of the album.

Here's a list of the #1 votes thus far with number of votes in parenthesis:

Rocket Queen (12)

Nightrain (7)

Welcome to the Jungle (6)

Sweet Child O' Mine (5)

Mr. Brownstone (2)

Think About You (1)

What's odd for me is the amount of love Rocket Queen gets. I always thought I was in the minority with my affinity for it. Ironically, for many years after the album was released it wasn't one of my top songs and I largely ignored it. It wasn't until around 1993ish when the song really started to grow on me. Now it's one of my absolute favorites, if not my favorite. Also funny to think that it was written for Barbi's band and not GN'R.

Edited by thunderram

So here's what we've got currently https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dkTFx8UcQ75hJi4U-_dcr8Dv0dwM--vvoiRm4Ho-_U8/edit#gid=0

In the shortened form:

July 17.

1. Rocket Queen - 320 points

2. Welcome To The Jungle - 317 points

3. Nightrain - 315 points

4. Sweet Child O' Mine - 258 points

5. It's So Easy - 253 points

6. Paradise City - 248 points

7. Mr.Brownstone - 228 points

8. Out Ta Get Me - 190 points

9. My Michelle - 159 points

10. Think About You - 133 points