radio edits

donny

i know most forum members are from the usa and i dont know how songs in your country are played but here in the uk whenever a classic(well there are no new ones) GNR song gets played on radio it is always a radio edit(shortend) and is rubbish. my workmates know im a big GNR fan so when something like SCOM comes on they all turn round and say "heres your song" and to be honest its embarrassing. in the radio edit which gets played often most of the famous guitar intro has been cut out and the awesome guitar solo in the middle has been cut to. 

if a radio station wants to play a classic rock song(whoever the band may be) shouldn't they just play it in its entirety instead of cutting out the best bits to make it fit their schedule ? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, donny said:

i know most forum members are from the usa and i dont know how songs in your country are played but here in the uk whenever a classic(well there are no new ones) GNR song gets played on radio it is always a radio edit(shortend) and is rubbish. my workmates know im a big GNR fan so when something like SCOM comes on they all turn round and say "heres your song" and to be honest its embarrassing. in the radio edit which gets played often most of the famous guitar intro has been cut out and the awesome guitar solo in the middle has been cut to. 

if a radio station wants to play a classic rock song(whoever the band may be) shouldn't they just play it in its entirety instead of cutting out the best bits to make it fit their schedule ? 

Working in country radio, I can tell you that almost every song that is released is released is an edit with long instrumental passages removed, etc. 

Shorter songs means that more songs can be played per hour which means more exposure for the artists, and by proxy, the labels.

I have a huge collection of promo CD singles, and almost all of them have an edit of some sort.

It's all down to the amount of songs they can get played per hour on some stations and on others they need to find time for adverts. So radio edits exist for time but also to remove some swearing with others.

I've got something like 6 edits for November Rain ranging from 3:57 upto 6:59 while the original is 8:57

• Like 1

Absolute Radio Classic plays the full version of a few songs. SCoM, November Rain, Bat Out of Hell off the top of my head. I imagine they think the audience for this particular station has no problem with lengthy songs. However on the standard Absolute Radio they play the edited versions of the aforementioned songs. Just depends on the station I guess.

Edited by drbunnig