How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

Actually it doesn't matter cause the most disappointing thing about is: the musical changes by slash and Duff on CD songs are simply boring...and imo they shouldn't play these songs, cause they left the band because of this musical direction.

Edited by maxpax

4 minutes ago, maxpax said:

Actually it doesn't matter cause the most disappointing thing about is: the musical changes by slash and Duff on CD songs are simply boring...and imo they shouldn't play these songs, cause they left the band because of this musical direction.

If you read the chinese whispers/ slashs book the main reason slash left was because he felt they were being "force fed a guy who didnt deserve to be in Guns (Paul Huge). Duff left later because "it just wasnt fun anymore". Axl and slash were actually seeing eye to eye in 1996 when they wrote some material (that we have yet to hear) but slash simply couldnt take Paul Huge anymore. Axl approved of Slashs blues rock songs that they worked on shortly before he left.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EvH said:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think Anastasia is massively overratee on this board. A great riff (one of Slash's best) but the song goes nowhere and I could do without the mindless noodling. And those lyrics :facepalm:

I think AL and WOF are two huge step downs from Slash 2010 album. Boring, bland and predictable songs for the most part. Although I like Wicked Stone, BTSS and Bad Rain.

Well, as you said, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Anastasia is by far and away better than any 'rocker' on Chinese. 

And I feel that AL and WoF were massive steps up from his solo album, which I liked but didn't love. Just goes to show how subjective music is.

I think it shows respect for the work Axl has done with GNR and kind of dispells some of the perceived negativity between Axl and Slash. 

Instead of playing into the hate. Even with Steven. A lot has been said. But a few shows and suddenly it's feels better. 

It's all about the reunion tour. Getting a more positive vibe is jist better all round. 

And they are just rock songs. CD are quality songs just not done in a style every one likes. That comes through when Slash rocks them out a bit more. 

Axl agreeing to sing Slither (in principal) is a far more curious step as Slash playing CD songs - as Slither has nothing to do with GnR in any way or form. Woud be great if axl would sing it on tour to show some respect to all what Slash/Duff did musically after they left guns.

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

Well why not add some VR songs or Slash's solo songs? some of them are better than the stuff on CD. Now don't give me that bullshit that those songs are not under the GNR name.

VR had 3 GNR members and Axl's band had only ONE. 

Yeah they have Slither on ALT.

But songs like Ghost, Anastasia, Crucify the Dead are much better than Sorry and Chinese Democracy

Quid pro quo. It would same same the diplomatic gesture? A sort of, merging of the two rival factions.

Currently, two Nugnr hacks and the girl, a handful of Chinese songs, the reunion is very Nugnr top heavy. A VR song or two would go far in balancing things out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kula2006 said:

Axl agreeing to sing Slither (in principal) is a far more curious step as Slash playing CD songs - as Slither has nothing to do with GnR in any way or form. Woud be great if axl would sing it on tour to show some respect to all what Slash/Duff did musically after they left guns.

...except having, writing and recording it, what the majority of sensible people consider 2/5ths of Guns N' Roses - and a well remembered replacement from the Illusion era to boot? Nugnr was only 1/5th!

5 hours ago, EvH said:

AL and WOF aren't exactly what I would call "amazing stuff".

I disagree. Especially with regard to AL. It's a fantastic album. One of the better hard rock albums in a long time.

2 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

AL > CD

I would have said the same thing a couple of years ago. But, to be honest, CD has really grown on me in the past year or so. I was in the camp of being underwhelmed by the album when it came out. Like most, I had listened to demos well before it's release and had an idea what to expect upon full release, but was still underwhelmed. But, admittedly, I'm typically slow to adopt new albums and songs. It takes a while to win me over beyond a song or two.

When CD came out, I really only liked the title track, Street of Dreams, TIL, and Better. Over time, I've grown to enjoy Catcher in the Rye, Prostitute, TWAT, Madagascar, Sorry and IRS.

I was much quicker to adopt most of the songs from AL, but now there's not a lot of separation between the two for me. I love them both.

5 hours ago, bigpoop said:

There is no way Slash wanted to play This I Love. That song is terrible.

This I love was written during the UYI times, it was just piano back then but if he was going to play on any song that would be it

Nothing I love more than reading all these butt hurt fans complaining about Slash playing GNR songs! Get over it bros, Slash clearly accepts those songs as legitimate GNR songs, it's time y'all do too.

• Like 2

I think Slash has picked the songs he wanted to work on and is probably into it because it is something new. I would like to hear more of TWAT and think that the TIL solo needs more structure and less noodling (he seems to do this when he is unsure of the melodic bends and phrases), but overall I believe this is a sign that all parties have matured to the point that they understand the value that their combined presence on stage holds for millions of fans all over the world.

Good for them, it only took 23 years!

Edited by SoundOfAGun

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Anastasia is a (guitar) masterpiece!! Somewhat agree about its lyrics but then, with guitar like that, who cares?

I've always seen Anastasia is another Locomotive. The riff on the verses are basically the same then there's the guitar outro :drool:  Yeah the lyrics aren't the best but just having Axl singing on it would bring it up another level and probably change some peoples minds just like Slash with CD songs. 

• Like 1

I think Slash and Duff are mature enough to accept that CD is a guns n roses album ( I'm not a fan of the album ) and are happy to play some of the songs as already said Axl seems to have made compromises too. The one thing I've been wondering since the tour began is if TIL, Better and CD are the songs Axl wanted Slash to work on back in early 2000's 

Axl said they'd learned the stuff without him having to prompt them, didn't he?
Also, I love Slash's contributions and variations concerning ChD songs. It's brilliant.

Edited by jamillos

13 hours ago, LADoll77 said:

CD is an Axl Rose solo record with guest spots. has nothing to  do with Slash and Duff. they shouldn't be Axl's bitches in this respect.

play illusion tracks by GNR instead. or move to the city.

Well, that's how you feel about it, but it has GNR written on the right hand side of the cd, so its a gnr album. By your logic if a member leaves from any band, the band continues to release music, and if the original member returns he shouldn't play the music created without him, because that would make him a bitch? Huh, what a joke, deal with it bud.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DocArunas said:

Well, that's how you feel about it, but it has GNR written on the right hand side of the cd, so its a gnr album. By your logic if a member leaves from any band, the band continues to release music, and if the original member returns he shouldn't play the music created without him, because that would make him a bitch? Huh, what a joke, deal with it bud.

...and 'Rollex'' is written on that watch you bought at a market from a dodgy geezer for a tenner. Doesn't make it bona fide Rollex!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

...and 'Rollex'' is written on that watch you bought at a market from a dodgy geezer for a tenner. Doesn't make it bona fide Rollex!

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber after reading it. I award you no point, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Like 4