How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

1 minute ago, DocArunas said:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber after reading it. I award you no point, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Another fan I see haha?

3 minutes ago, DocArunas said:

Too bad you didn't learn anything from it for being another "fan"

What is there to learn? Some people - not just me but a great many - do not regard Chinese Democracy as a 'Guns N' Roses' record. That is a fact and you should be able to accept it. If you cannot, it is your problem, not mine.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Just now, DocArunas said:

Well I'm happy they play cd songs, so in that regard, its your loss for being a grouchy geezer about the album ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

One is entitled to dislike an album and its songs! Indeed, and putting aside the new band legitimacy argument for one second, if Guns N' Roses had acquired an extensive discography like The Stones or Metallica there would inherently be albums that even the most hardcore of fan did not like.

But everybody needs a piss break so it is good that Guns are so accommodating in this regard.

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is there to learn? Some people - not just me but a great many - do not regard Chinese Democracy as a 'Guns N' Roses' record. That is a fact and you should be able to accept it. If you cannot, it is your problem, not mine.

Speaking for myself,  guessI can comprehend why many may feel like that.... But opinions and facts are two very different things.

Chinese Democracy is indeed a GNR record. Regardless of how you are anyone else feels about that....

What's amazing is that when Slash rejoined, you could just feel all the anti Chi Dem "fans" just hoping that CD would get ignored on this tour. Slash playing these songs must be agonizing for all the anti Chi Dem era fans! 

Just now, ohmygod said:

Speaking for myself,  guessI can comprehend why many may feel like that.... But opinions and facts are two very different things.

Chinese Democracy is indeed a GNR record. Regardless of how you are anyone else feels about that....

What's amazing is that when Slash rejoined, you could just feel all the anti Chi Dem "fans" just hoping that CD would get ignored on this tour. Slash playing these songs must be agonizing for all the anti Chi Dem era fans! 

Axl can call it whatever he likes. It does not alter the fact that I do not acknowledge it as Guns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

...and 'Rollex'' is written on that watch you bought at a market from a dodgy geezer for a tenner. Doesn't make it bona fide Rollex!

2 hours ago, DocArunas said:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber after reading it. I award you no point, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This thread isn't about the definitions of what is or isn't GNR. Please don't derail with these arguments. Thanks

21 hours ago, Lumikki said:

And yeah, as others pointed out, Slash has never said anything negative about the CD songs, as far as I know. He even said some vaguely nice things, iirc. I think some people here are projecting their own hate for CD material onto Slash.

There was an interview recently where he said he didn't like it.. He said it was good to hear Axl's voice but in not so many words he said he didn't like the music.

19 hours ago, DustNBones1990 said:

Considering two of the guy's from 'CD' era are involved still, I'm sure it just seemed fair to Slash and Duff to keep a few of them songs they helped to record and not just chuck them away for good. Either way, not all fans are too happy about it but I actually really dig the new Better and its great to hear Slash's take on them as we all discussed in the past what Slash would sound like on them or if he could even play them at all :) 

Besides Axl how much were those other two even involved?

19 hours ago, DocArunas said:

CD is a GNR album, Slash and Duff are in GNR, what's there not to understand about them playing the songs?

So are LIES and SI.. They play only 1 or 2 songs from those albums combined.. I don't think people would care if they were playing 1 or 2 CD songs in stead of FOUR.  CD maybe have technically been a GnR due to Axl's stubbornness album but we all know it wasn't widely accepted as one. 

22 hours ago, Guigsdaddy76 said:

Would love to have been a fly on the wall.  Just got to show that Axl is the boss.  I'm sure Axl insisted that they keep the Chinese songs to maintain this era wasn't a failure.  Also I'm sure Axl wanted to make sure that this was seen as Slash and Duff coming back and not a reunion with the original group.  I'm just bummed I'm going to the show tonight and hearing Chinese songs that have nothing to do with Slash.  Put a couple of illusion songs in there and maybe move to the city or something like that.  Why did Slash have to compromise?

This whole thing probably started to come to fruition between talks with Axl and Duff. I am sure Axl said he wasn't firing people to bring back old members or burying Chinese Democracy.

I am sure this was relayed to Slash. Being diplomatic about they learned the songs. I am sure Slash was happy about it and also did it as nice gesture and kind of an olive branch.

That is all well and good it is just that 3 or 4 songs is wayy too many when you have shows that you don't play any LIES songs and so many other songs you could play that most of the fans would probably prefer.

Too start you have these.....

Think About You
Nice Boys
RecklessLife
Mama Kin
Used to Love Her
You're Crazy (slow version)
Dust N' Bones
Perfect Crime
Bad Obsession
Dead Horse
Yesterday
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
Down On The Farm

I wouldn't have a problem with 1 or 2 CD songs played  but 3 is too many and 4 is just ridiculous.

I kind of like the title track but the rest I don't. Even with Slash and Duff. Slash has played on Rhiana and Insane Clown Posse songs. It didn't make those good either.

• Like 1

Speaking only from what I saw at the show in Pittsburgh...Axl looked like he was enjoying singing the CD songs more than the others. Maybe he's a little tired of singing "Welcome To The Jungle" for the 71 millionth time and wants to mix it up?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EvH said:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think Anastasia is massively overratee on this board. A great riff (one of Slash's best) but the song goes nowhere and I could do without the mindless noodling. And those lyrics :facepalm:

I think AL and WOF are two huge step downs from Slash 2010 album. Boring, bland and predictable songs for the most part. Although I like Wicked Stone, BTSS and Bad Rain.

I couldn't agree more. I really don't want GNR to play Anastasia.

• Like 1

On July 16, 2016 at 0:04 PM, Frey said:

I didn't say Axl never lies or is honest all the time. Just that he's got a bettet track record than Slash.

Plus the things you mentioned could also be examples of Axl believing his own shit and later changing his opinion/coming to his senses. Slash on the other hand has been caught straight-up and knowingly lying a couple of times (like the time he denied going to Axl's house, before finally admitting it some time later).

Except he never denied going to Axl's house. He said that he didn't TALK to Axl that night. Which is 100% true. 

For some reason the people that defend all things Axl and bash all things Slash have twisted that incident to make it look like Slash lied. When he clearly didn't. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

the TIL solo needs more structure and less noodling (he seems to do this when he is unsure of the melodic bends and phrases)

Sorry, but I find it laughable when fans or ham and egger guitarists critique the work of a world class virtuoso such as Slash. It's akin to the average college student critiquing an elite mathematician on how he arrived at proving an advanced theorem. The ham and egger can't come close to performing at the same level, yet somehow feels worthy of critiquing. These guys create new music for a living and make a lot of $$ doing it because they are among the very best at it. We fans don't. Enough said.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, novemberparadise23 said:

Im thinking that they all sat down and decided what they wanted to play. Axl agreed to play some slash songs like Coma and potentially slither (on the setlist) . Slash agreed to play some CD songs.

In all likely hood it really is as simple as that. People on this forum way over analyze everything. They want to add drama into every action the band makes. 

1 minute ago, thunderram said:

Sorry, but I find it laughable when fans or ham and egger guitarists critique the work of a world class virtuoso such as Slash. It's akin to the average college student critiquing an elite mathematician on how he arrived at proving an advanced theorem. The ham and egger can't come close to performing at the same level, yet somehow feels worthy of critiquing. These guys create new music for a living and make a lot of $$ doing it because they are among the very best at it. We fans don't. Enough said.

?????????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Except he never denied going to Axl's house. He said that he didn't TALK to Axl that night. Which is 100% true. 

For some reason the people that defend all things Axl and bash all things Slash have twisted that incident to make it look like Slash lied. When he clearly didn't. 

for some reason when i read about that it kinda broke my heart. Slash was reaching out and Axl wouldn't even come to the door. Slash seems like a really good guy to me. of course Axl is...Axl. he seems more grounded now and like he's grown up a lot. i love watching the change in him :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thunderram said:

Just because we can't do what Slash does doesn't mean he's somehow immune to criticism, to say so is laughable honestly. If someone feels that Slash could do something better or they don't like something he is doing in their personal opinion then they are entitled to say that. 

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

There was an interview recently where he said he didn't like it.. He said it was good to hear Axl's voice but in not so many words he said he didn't like the music.

Do you have a link?  Because everything I've read or heard from Slash about CD was mostly positive. 

12 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Just because we can't do what Slash does doesn't mean he's somehow immune to criticism, to say so is laughable honestly. If someone feels that Slash could do something better or they don't like something he is doing in their personal opinion then they are entitled to say that. 

You can have an opinion on whether you like the finished product or not. But critiquing the artistic process from someone that is on a level you'll never be at is ridiculous. It's like those sports guys that criticize and belittle the QB of their favorite team for the mistakes he makes when they couldn't come close to performing any better. It's hypocritical and downright sad. As a fan, you can not like the result -- but to second guess the artist for doing what they felt was right is an altogether different thing. More times than not, the choices they make do end up working out. That's why they are where they are and doing what they do.

When I go to a successful upscale restaurant, there are numerous dishes I might not care for. But I don't try to tell the chef how he should change those recipes to appease me. He/she obviously found a formula that works for the masses and not just one individual. Unless I had the talent to outperform him/her and do better, it'd be much smarter to keep quiet. Last I checked, I'm not becoming the next Bobby Flay and you're not becoming the virtuoso lead guitarist for a world class band.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1