How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yet Neil Young puts out an album a year. Slash did similar before this hybrid charade. Motorhead put albums out yearly.

Yeah. I didn't say artists do not release albums. Most of them do it. But do people buy them? Million sales like in the 90s?

I guess not.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't even know how we got here...

I gotta go do stuff, so bye! :kiss:

I suppose albums are now a niche thing but I do not mind the fact that a load of stupid girls and skinny jeaned Bieber wankers listen to songs on a gadget, as I have my albums, and still follow artists who are obliging enough to release them for me on a regular basis.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2016 at 10:55 PM, BadApples87 said:

AL > CD

There Was A Time > Everything by every ex-GN'R member put together. 

21 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Four songs are too much, I could live with three (at a push).

Only Chinese song I'm interested in hearing again is Madagascar.

On 7/17/2016 at 3:32 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I wouldn't have a problem with 1 or 2 CD songs played  but 3 is too many and 4 is just ridiculous.

When the second half of Chinese drops (which Axl has said people like you wont like) i'm going to take great delight when people like you wet the bed every morning when you wake up to a setlist dominated by songs from Chinese and its follow-up. With a bit of luck they'll throw some extra ones in at any show you go to. 

20 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

Slash - It's 5 o clock, Slash self titled, VR Contraband, Slash A.L.  are all better than CD.

Duff believe in me is as good as CD.

Once again, Twat/Madagascar/TIL > all of the above. 

14 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Believe In Me is better than CD too..

Baz's auto-tuned vocals on Sorry are better than every post you've made since Slash and Duff re-joined. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

When the second half of Chinese drops (which Axl has said people like you wont like) i'm going to take great delight when people like you wet the bed every morning when you wake up to a setlist dominated by songs from Chinese and its follow-up. With a bit of luck they'll throw some extra ones in at any show you go to. 

Baz's auto-tuned vocals on Sorry are better than every post you've made since Slash and Duff re-joined. 

Man, id love to hear CD 2, not sure I'd love to hear Slash play it though, what's the problem? Guns old catalogue is infinitely superior to Chinese Democracy (as decent in parts as it may be). AFD is one of the greatest albums ever made, and the illusions aren't far behind it, songs from these eras are what I would prefer they play, nothing too controversial about that.

• Like 1

I like to hear the songs performed by the band that wrote them, if that's Bucket/Finck, that means Chinese Democracy, if it's Slash/Duff, then AFD-UYI. It's not as if there short of material from those eras. I don't want it to turn into an Axl show, I would prefer the concerts to represent Guns N' Roses, as that's fairest, for all participants. (Maybe not Richard)

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

What was that? You like men? Sorry to hear that. If you don't like my posts... Block me bitch.

Casual homophobia? Really?! Maybe they'll pull out One In A Million to go with all the old, tired, overplayed, mysogynistic songs from the old albums and you can get your lighter out! :D

1 minute ago, Carburetta said:

Man, id love to hear CD 2, not sure I'd love to hear Slash play it though, what's the problem? Guns old catalogue is infinitely superior to Chinese Democracy (as decent in parts as it may be). AFD is one of the greatest albums ever made, and the illusions aren't far behind it, songs from these eras are what I would prefer they play, nothing too controversial about that.

Fair reply, man.

Here's the thing for me: I grew up on Appetite and the other old records and I loved them. They let me get out all my teen angst and rage and some of my favourite shit was the stuff about partying and drugs and all the angry mysognyny and stuff. But, much like Axl said in the early 90s, he'd already outgrown the lyrical content and sentiment of many of those songs and wasn't keen on singing some of them. I've also outgrown them but, sadly for all involved, Axl/Guns haven't put out a whole bunch of records in the last 25 years charting his personal and professional growth leaving the band in a position where they're basically just promoting the three full original albums they've done.

So as a 33-year-old, I relate and identify far more with the lyrics and sentiments of the vast majority of songs on Chinese than I do Brownstone, So, Easy, Jungle, Michelle, OTGM, Paradise, YCBM, RQ etc. 

Back off bitch, lying in a gutter; I can do you favours but then you'll do whatever I like; Turn around girl, I got a use for you; I'll leave you lying on the bed with your ass in the air; Little bitch.....

But like I keep saying in every thread where the same people keep bitching about the Chinese songs, I have no problem with the set given the extraordinary circumstances of this re-grouping. My personal preference would be to hear Chinese in full with Locomotive and Breakdown as an encore plus a few new songs. But I ain't bitching. Yet those on the other side of the fence have got their glass full to the brim compared to what we thought was even possible just a short time ago and yet they're acting like their glass is almost empty. 

4 Chinese songs is absolutely fucking right and there'll be more to come. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Axl owns dexter said:

Slash, Duff: Axl, were going to have to go onstage on time this tour.

Axl: Ok, are you guys fine playing CD songs?

Slash, Duff: Sure man, you cool playing Coma again?

Axl: Yeah man

I'd like to think that's how it went down. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

There was a time is the ONLY good song on CD.  But still not > than Slither, Fall to Pieces, Beggars and Hangers On, .......to begin with.

This I Love is only out-sucked by Street of Dreams, which is probably the worst song Axl ever did, this side of My World, which is an abomination to UYI II.

And lastly, 1993-2015 - Slash/Duff > Axl and it is not close.  How many years to make 1 record?  How many records did Slash and/or Duff do in that time?

Matter of fact, it has been 8 friggin' years since Axl last released anything.  Slash has made 3 albums since then, and Duff has newer material also.  Just from 2009-Present.

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BadApples87 said:

There was a time is the ONLY good song on CD.  But still not > than Slither, Fall to Pieces, Beggars and Hangers On, .......to begin with.

This I Love is only out-sucked by Street of Dreams, which is probably the worst song Axl ever did, this side of My World, which is an abomination to UYI II.

And lastly, 1993-2015 - Slash/Duff > Axl and it is not close.  How many years to make 1 record?  How many records did Slash and/or Duff do in that time?

Matter of fact, it has been 8 friggin' years since Axl last released anything.  Slash has made 3 albums since then, and Duff has newer material also.  Just from 2009-Present.

I loved the balance of the UYI albums. I think Axl's songwriting and arrangements are fantastic on Estranged and November Rain etc. So that's why I like This I Love and Street of Dreams. Although Chinese Democracy was missing that cool, hard rock vibe that Slash's riffs bring.

That being said I feel the same way about SFMKC, it lacks Axl's meaningful lyrics. That's why it's so awesome that they're back.

• Like 1

On 16/7/2016 at 7:26 PM, Guigsdaddy76 said:

But why are they playing those songs? 

Maybe because it's GN'R songs? Or maybe because it's such an AMAZING and underrated album?

Don't forget that TIL comes back from th UYI era.. Prayin' not to stop playing them, but actually to add more.

As for your first question..

So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM, LADoll77 said:

it is ironic that Slash is playing Sorry. a diss track about him.

Axl stated it wasn't about "someone I used to know" (Slash).

Also, Slash went out of HIS way to learn the songs. Songs that were released under the name Guns N' Roses, and wether you or the next person does not like it, the band are doing it.

But again, opinions are like assholes right?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

I'll agree to disagree about what's good and what isn't: we couldn't be further apart in terms of what we like and what we think has value. But the quantity of material put out and the time taken to put it out has nothing to do with the quality and value of one song over another. In other words if Axl suddenly released everything he's recorded since 1993 and you hated all of it, the fact that he'd proved that he'd actually done more work than all the others in that time wouldn't make it any better in your eyes. 

I'm happy that this thread I started got a lot of great responses and traction on here.  After seeing the Toronto show I just couldn't get over the fact that Slash and Duff were reinserted into Axls Chinese Democracy era band playing those songs. I just wasn't into this dude Frank and Melissa playing the old songs with Slash, Duff and Axl either.  I don't care that Slashband Duff were keen to play Chinese songs for me it should have been a proper reunion more to the Roth/Van Halen tour.  Yes it was kid on bass but it still felt good.  I'm so conflicted that I wasn't into the show that much because this is/was my band. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Beggars and Hangers on, Slither, Battleground, Fall to Pieces and Anastasia are all on the same level if not better than TWAT.

As amusing as you find it and as much as you'd enjoy it, that is never even going to happen. GNR shows have been dominated by the hits for 25 years, nothing is going to change that now, especially now that the CD era is thankfully over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philipm787 said:

Beggars and Hangers on, Slither, Battleground, Fall to Pieces and Anastasia are all on the same level if not better than TWAT.

As amusing as you find it and as much as you'd enjoy it, that is never even going to happen. GNR shows have been dominated by the hits for 25 years, nothing is going to change that now, especially now that the CD era is thankfully over.

That's exactly what's going to happen because that's exactly what Axl has said is happening. Sure, Slash Duff and maybe even Steven, Izzy and Melissa will add parts to Chinese Part 2 and there'll probably be at least a couple brand new songs. But there will be CD era songs on at least the next two albums and once the Lifetime tour is over the set will increasingly be taken up by new material. Hope you hate it. 

7 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

That's exactly what's going to happen because that's exactly what Axl has said is happening. Sure, Slash Duff and maybe even Steven, Izzy and Melissa will add parts to Chinese Part 2 and there'll probably be at least a couple brand new songs. But there will be CD era songs on at least the next two albums and once the Lifetime tour is over the set will increasingly be taken up by new material. Hope you hate it. 

Axl has said a lot of things, but I still think it will be quite some tune before we hear anything new from guns. I actually happen to enjoy the majority of CD tunes so I will not hate it. I just think Guns shows will be forever dominated by the hits, and its subjective whether that's a good or bad thing.

7 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

Axl has said a lot of things, but I still think it will be quite some tune before we hear anything new from guns. I actually happen to enjoy the majority of CD tunes so I will not hate it. I just think Guns shows will be forever dominated by the hits, and its subjective whether that's a good or bad thing.

You might end up being right but it comes down to what Axl wants and whether he now has the drive to follow through on the vision he had 10-15 years ago. I know they're closer to the end than the beginning of their careers now but if the blimmin drummer from Nirvana can build one of the biggest rock bands in the world from scratch without relying on a single Nirvana song then I don't see why Axl, Slash and Duff can't be in a position in 5 years where they're playing a bunch new songs at Donnington Monsters of Rock to a load of fans who are just as keen to hear the new stuff as they are Easy, Brownstone and Jungle. I mean, look at what Maiden have achieved time and time again since Brave New World. 

Edited by Jordan Rose

5 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

You might end up being right but it comes down to what Axl wants and whether he now has the drive to follow through on the vision he had 10-15 years ago. I know they're closer to the end than the beginning of their careers now but if the blimmin drummer from Nirvana can build one of the biggest rock bands in the world from scratch without relying on a single Nirvana song then I don't see why Axl, Slash and Duff can't be in a position in 5 years where they're playing a bunch new songs at Donnington Monsters of Rock to a load of fans who are just as keen to hear the new stuff as they are Easy, Brownstone and Jungle. I mean, look at what Maiden have achieved time and time again since Brave New World. 

I really hope he does still have that drive, and it would be a hell of lot easier to achieve it with Slash and Duff on board. But, unfortunately, I think they have left it too late to rebuild Guns in the manner you are speaking. I think we will get this tour, perhaps a best of GNR cd with perhaps a couple of new tracks and that'll be that. I hope not, I want new music and for it to be played live, but I can't see it happening.

2 hours ago, Guigsdaddy76 said:

I'm happy that this thread I started got a lot of great responses and traction on here.  After seeing the Toronto show I just couldn't get over the fact that Slash and Duff were reinserted into Axls Chinese Democracy era band playing those songs. I just wasn't into this dude Frank and Melissa playing the old songs with Slash, Duff and Axl either.  I don't care that Slashband Duff were keen to play Chinese songs for me it should have been a proper reunion more to the Roth/Van Halen tour.  Yes it was kid on bass but it still felt good.  I'm so conflicted that I wasn't into the show that much because this is/was my band. 

I am with you man. This reunion isn't at great as it could be. Too many CD songs.. Not a fan of Frank Melissa or Fortus. Melissa because she is useless and looks ridiculous up there. Frank and Fortus because of their twists on the songs. Although Frank has improved. Still can't stand Fortus. Even though it Eddie's kid in Van Halen and not MA, he still played the songs they way they were written.

It is all bittersweet. It is great to have Guns N' Roses "back" but it could and should be better.

All that said, they seem to sound and feel more like the Classic Guns now than they did in April. Looking forward to tonight and not trying to put much thought into that stuff. It is what it is at this point and I am more excited than I was the last week before Vegas. The wind was knocked out of my sails once I saw the lineup at the Troubador. 

Things have improved significantly since April. Hopefully it continues. Gonna have a kick ass time tonight an focus on the positive.. Just hoping for 3 CD songs instead of 4. I'll watch CD and go take a piss for the other two.

Hoping for some Popcorn and Out Ta Get Me too!!!!!! \m/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am with you man. This reunion isn't at great as it could be. Too many CD songs.. Not a fan of Frank Melissa or Fortus. Melissa because she is useless and looks ridiculous up there. Frank and Fortus because of their twists on the songs. Although Frank has improved. Still can't stand Fortus. Even though it Eddie's kid in Van Halen and not MA, he still played the songs they way they were written.

It is all bittersweet. It is great to have Guns N' Roses "back" but it could and should be better.

All that said, they seem to sound and feel more like the Classic Guns now than they did in April. Looking forward to tonight and not trying to put much thought into that stuff. It is what it is at this point and I am more excited than I was the last week before Vegas. The wind was knocked out of my sails once I saw the lineup at the Troubador. 

Things have improved significantly since April. Hopefully it continues. Gonna have a kick ass time tonight an focus on the positive.. Just hoping for 3 CD songs instead of 4. I'll watch CD and go take a piss for the other two.

Hoping for some Popcorn and Out Ta Get Me too!!!!!! \m/

Really great post.  I tried to go in with that attitude but I just couldn't let it go.  In my opinion it seemed like there was zero chemistry between the guys.  The songs sounded fine but it still didn't feel like Guns N' Roses.  It's on me for sure, because in my world Guns in 5 guys not 3 and weird looking backing musicians and DJ's?  Is Izzy and Steven/Matt that important for the sound?  Yes for sure but for me it was about the lack of chemistry.  It still didn't feel like Guns to me.  We are posting on a Guns message board because we are die hard fans.  Out of 55,000 people how many are die hards are at this show?  15,000?  Most just want to see a dude in a top hat play with the red head guy again.  I want to see Guns N' Roses again which will likely never happen.  I saw Axl's solo band three times and loved two of the times and the third time I was done because I treated it as his solo band.  I'm done with this lineup as well.  I always thought I was an Axl fan first and would love the songs no matter what.  It turns out I was a Guns N' Roses fan afterall.    

• Like 1

To me, this lineup isn't much different than the 92-93 lineup with Gilby, Matt, and the horn player/backup singers.  Fortus is just the latest gilby.  I like Matt better than the new drummer, but they are both replacements.  Now they have a DJ instead of Tracy and Roberta.

• Like 2