How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

6 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

To me, this lineup isn't much different than the 92-93 lineup with Gilby, Matt, and the horn player/backup singers.  Fortus is just the latest gilby.  I like Matt better than the new drummer, but they are both replacements.  Now they have a DJ instead of Tracy and Roberta.

It felt way different when I was actually there.  Again just my feeling.  We are talking about Slash and Duff that had a huge hand in writing those classic songs playing songs that they had no part of or connection to.  

On July 18, 2016 at 9:19 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Yet Neil Young puts out an album a year. Slash did similar before this hybrid charade. Motorhead put albums out yearly.

Sharing new music with your fans is NEVER a bad thing. No matter how much one group likes to defend Axl's lack of material over the last 20 years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

That's exactly what's going to happen because that's exactly what Axl has said is happening. Sure, Slash Duff and maybe even Steven, Izzy and Melissa will add parts to Chinese Part 2 and there'll probably be at least a couple brand new songs. But there will be CD era songs on at least the next two albums and once the Lifetime tour is over the set will increasingly be taken up by new material. Hope you hate it. 

Why would you hope that people hate new GnR music?

It's no secret this is a high profile big money tour. Everybody stood to make a killing from it.

If nothing else he's stated he liked the album, and for all intents and purposes, this tour is the first time a lot of casual GNR fans will be hearing those songs.

On July 18, 2016 at 0:12 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

I think you're OK to say he is great, you just can't say anything negative about an "artistic decision" (noodling) in any detailed capacity unless you are also a world class famous guitarist. Sound logic.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or just missing the point. 

There is a difference between saying "I don't like Slash's noodling during that song" and saying "Slash should or shouldn't .....do something."

one is a fan saying what he likes or doesn't like. The other is a some random dude trying to act like he knows better than Slash and Axl. 

Look at what you do for a living. Pick the aspect that you are the best at. Now imagine a complete random guy, who is 1% as good at your job as you are, and that guy coming up and telling you that you are doing your job wrong. 

You would tell the guy you've been doing your job for 20 years and are rated as one of the best in the world at it. And he didn't have the experience or knowledge to tell you to change things. Especially if it's a programs that YOU invented. 

People aren't saying that you have to love everything the band does. Or that you have to be an expert to mention the band. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Guigsdaddy1976 said:

It felt way different when I was actually there.  Again just my feeling.  We are talking about Slash and Duff that had a huge hand in writing those classic songs playing songs that they had no part of or connection to.  

Believe me, if I had my way, it would be original 5 all the way.

On 7/17/2016 at 0:33 PM, passenger57 said:

I wonder if Slash had already played on early incarnations of the CD songs. I think I read somewhere he recorded the solo for 'This I love' way before the band broke up. 
I think it's really cool of Duff and Slash to play those songs, really takes them to another level and you can tell how much it means to Axl.

i think i read that also. i would enjoy hearing them do "Slither" too tho if we are getting all these CD songs. js...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apollo said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or just missing the point. 

There is a difference between saying "I don't like Slash's noodling during that song" and saying "Slash should or shouldn't .....do something."

one is a fan saying what he likes or doesn't like. The other is a some random dude trying to act like he knows better than Slash and Axl. 

Look at what you do for a living. Pick the aspect that you are the best at. Now imagine a complete random guy, who is 1% as good at your job as you are, and that guy coming up and telling you that you are doing your job wrong. 

You would tell the guy you've been doing your job for 20 years and are rated as one of the best in the world at it. And he didn't have the experience or knowledge to tell you to change things. Especially if it's a programs that YOU invented. 

People aren't saying that you have to love everything the band does. Or that you have to be an expert to mention the band. 

He/she missed the point. You didn't. That's good enough for me.

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think i read that also. i would enjoy hearing them do "Slither" too tho if we are getting all these CD songs. js...

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to hear how that song is interpreted and performed by AXL if/when it ever happens. For all we know DUFF might sing it instead of Attitude/New Rose/Raw Power.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thunderram said:

He/she missed the point. You didn't. That's good enough for me.

Not agreeing with either of your opinions on my opinion is not missing the point at all. I have already told you I don't agree with your opinion, you just need to accept that. Same goes for the other guy; thanks for weighing in, but I don't agree with you either.

Slash seems to be playing his ass off/noodling. So much more impressive than his UYI playing. They are almost putting a lot of different motions, quieter moments like Sorry and Heaven's Door and the really rocking Rocket Queen and Coma. Funnily enough not exactly the same as the records which the last line up nailed. It's almost like the 2002 Nu Guns line up vibe wise doing alt versions. 

Edited by wasted
Non
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wasted said:

It's almost like the 2002 Nu Guns line up vibe wise doing alt versions. 

I had to re-read this about 10 times, but I still don't get it.. ;-D

18 hours ago, thunderram said:

For all we know DUFF might sing it instead of Attitude/New Rose/Raw Power.

This is what I think will happen.

12 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I had to re-read this about 10 times, but I still don't get it.. ;-D

This is what I think will happen.

Go watch some Finck Bucket shows to feel to dark virtuoso funky noodling. Kind of sloppy but cool. Whereas Dj era Guns were the Rise of the Machines. 

52 minutes ago, wasted said:

Go watch some Finck Bucket shows to feel to dark virtuoso funky noodling. Kind of sloppy but cool. Whereas Dj era Guns were the Rise of the Machines. 

Rise of machines is not something that needs to be repeated 

I'm in the minority, I have been a fan since the late 80's, but also like the CD album.  Maybe I'm not the biggest fans of the musicians playing those songs but I think there are at least 6 very good songs on that album.

I'll tell you what was weird, at least to me, seeing Slash play that bright green BC rich guitar.  I just couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Rise of machines is not something that needs to be repeated 

No we are repeating dark funky noddling but with Hair metal vets instead of 90s rejects. This of course is just a theory. I just sensed a similar vibe. Somebody has to keep the vibe sniffin' alive. 

2 hours ago, AtGame7 said:

I'm in the minority, I have been a fan since the late 80's, but also like the CD album.  Maybe I'm not the biggest fans of the musicians playing those songs but I think there are at least 6 very good songs on that album.

I'll tell you what was weird, at least to me, seeing Slash play that bright green BC rich guitar.  I just couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing.

Slash is the new Steve Vai. 

20 hours ago, Italian girl said:

maybe slash wanted to play something different and new (for him!!) ... and not only the same old songs.. :)

There probably is an element of truth to that. Slash likes to challenge himself, so I can see why he would have fun playing on the CD songs.

I do feel a little as though Slash is showing a lack of reverence for the CD-era songs though. His solos on Sorry and TIL leave a lot to be desired and it's almost as if he's trying too hard not to sound like he's copying the original versions. Isn't it weird, after so many years of fans critiquing Finck/Bumble/BH's interpretations of Slash's solos, now we have Slash playing NuGNR solos? Still very weird to get your head around...

I for one am relieved that Axl hasn't dropped the CD material, as that album was a big part of why I became a fan of this band and it would've been a major slap in the face to those who followed and supported NuGNR from 2000-2014. It also shows that there is goodwill and mutual respect between Axl and Slash, which can only be a good thing.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Towelie said:

His solos on Sorry and TIL leave a lot to be desired and it's almost as if he's trying too hard not to sound like he's copying the original versions. Isn't it weird, after so many years of fans critiquing Finck/Bumble/BH's interpretations of Slash's solos, now we have Slash playing NuGNR solos? Still very weird to get your head around...

Slash doesn't want to do exact copies of other's solos. Just remember the Sympathy for the Devil/Keith Richard's solo or

Michael Jackson's 2001 Anniversary Celebration with the changed Beat it/Eddie Van Halen's solo.

He even had given an interview before the event where he said that he was gonna change it.

Edited by WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself