How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

22 hours ago, Italian girl said:

maybe slash wanted to play something different and new (for him!!) ... and not only the same old songs.. :)

Well to be fair, when I saw Axl in 2010 and 2012 there were 6 or 7 CD songs in the setlist at that time, so hes definitely reduced the number of CD songs for this tour. I think Slash likes those songs that they're playing, so far he's picked out the more UYI type songs, I used to wonder a lot if they got back together, would Slash play the CD songs, and which would he pick? So far he's picked out all the ones I thought he might pick out :lol:

Each time I saw Axl, he played Shacklers Revenge and Madagascar too, I can't see Slash wanting to play Shacklers lol which is damn it for me cos I like those two songs.

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 1

I thought Slash would do ore Illusion/Axl material like SOD, Catcher, TWAT, IRS, TIL and not Better really. But Chi dem is like a pocket sized Jungle, but the tone was more 90s. Actually listing those made me realise Slash hasn't really touched Tobias' material? But he did play Catcher. So I really think he has done a great job for Axl. 

So Slash has really taken on a lot more than I expected. If the World is like the pinnacle of Nu Guns so I doubt he'll go that far but who knows.

Edited by wasted
Huge

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, estranged_85 said:

Or maybe it was as simple as Slash and the rest of the band actually WANT to play the songs.

This. 

The assumption that Axl "forced" anyone to play something is just bullshit being pulled out of someone's ass until we hear otherwise.

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

This. 

The assumption that Axl "forced" anyone to play something is just bullshit being pulled out of someone's ass until we hear otherwise.

Exactly. There would not be a semi reunion if Axl were a dictator who runs Everything by his rules.

I think it's great, I think slash is being an awesome sport, and I also think axl would likely appreciate and respect slash. 

So nice to see the band when they aren't all fucked up. 

I listened to some live stuff from earlier in the days when they were drunk, and it wasn't the vibe we are experiencing today. 

Fortus has been excellent, I'm happy with him if he stays forever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

I mean Duff already learned them when he came around in 2014, I'm sure Slash was like "hey those Chinese Democracy songs are alright are we going to play them?" 

This is a far more likely scenario, are we forgetting these guys wrote a lot of shit together?  Would it not be in the real of reason Axl wrote something that Slash actually liked and thought he could add to?

The rest of the world: "Where there is smoke, there is fire."

The world of GnR fans: "Where there is no smoke, scream 'Fire!'

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 0:50 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Even if Axl tends to be a bit more honest than the others, that doesn't mean he's completely honest all the time. During the UYI era he acted like the band was happier than ever with their "sound" and he referred to both albums as "a masterpiece," then in the years that followed he said listening to UYI sounded like "a band dying" and reflected on the whole era as being a time when he "suffered internally from the band and externally from the press." As a matter of fact I even kinda remember him saying about a decade ago that he wished it was just one album. So so much for it being a "masterpiece." See what I mean? Just because he's generally honest doesn't mean he tells the truth literally ALL the time. No one is THAT honest.

Some of what your saying is confused with  comments on touring at the time.

As far as rather he changes his own opinion and the feelings his works give him isn't a lie it's a change of opinion. UYI is a masterpiece in my opinion.

Anyway on the OP of this threads question. A band is always about long term fans but also about newer fans. Rather many want to admit it or not some of GnR fans are getting older. I know many who feel they're too old for concerts (I disagree) but the newer fans are younger. 

My daughter is 18 and is a fan of CD. In fact her birthday was on July 6th. Turned out to be one of the best presents ever going to that concert. She also loves some of the older stuff.

On why Slash would play it? I think because he wants to. So many are stuck on thinking he doesn't like the music clearly he does. Again many fans never gave ithe benefit of the doubt because Slash wasn't on it.

I have to laugh now at those who said CD is junk and Slash would never play it. Again many of those fans allowed a disagreement and breakup of the band to bash Axl's music talent. Not all but many.

Any way to literally debate about going to a concert because of songs he may play is sad. Rather anyone wants to face the music or not CD is GnR. 

Whatever world you live in rather it be the whole Axl wasn't GNR or if Slash wasn't on it, it doesn't matter. All of the ex members have all said nice things about CD. They chose on their own to play songs from it. It's GnR music. 

Hope you don't miss out on a great concert because some awesome songs you may not like.

• Like 1

I'm the OP and you have a lot of great points.  I'm a huge Axl fan and I liked Chinese just fine.  As a 39 year old dude I simply wanted a full reunion with the songs  I grew up with.  I don't want to see some dude named Frank on drums or a chick with blue hair no offense to them.  I gave it a shot and paid over $500 for the Toronto show and I went in with an open mind but I just wasn't feelin it.  It felt like it was a regrouping.  I'm disappointed that I didn't get what I want.  At the end of the day Axl probably felt that he has more to offer than just a nostolgia trip but the. Why bring back the classic Guns logo if it's not really a reunion?  Also the guns shooting at the beginning of the shows is so retarded especially this day and age with what's going on in the world.

I want GnR to play songs like Locomotive, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tide Up that would satisfy my personal set list preference.  I personally don't like Anything Goes, Back Off Bitch, Cornshucker, My World, but I wouldn't complain if the band played it or bag on others that liked it. 

We are getting 6+ songs more than the average set lists during the UYI tour.  If we were told back in the day that we would get 4 additional Axl songs, another cover and Coma as a staple, I cannot possibly see any complaints.  Seems like people are focusing about the cherry on top, rather than the fucking sundae.

Here are the average UYI Tour set lists per "setlist.fm" from 1991-1993:

Perfect Crime

Mr. Brownstone

Bad Obsession

Dust N' Bones

Nightrain

Live and Let Die

Double Talkin' Jive

Civil War

Welcome to the Jungle

Patience

November Rain

14 Years

Matt Sorum Drum Solo

Slash Guitar Solo

Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)

Rocket Queen

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Sweet Child O' Mine

Estranged

Paradise City

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Live and Let Die

Nightrain

Bad Obsession

Welcome to the Jungle

Double Talkin' Jive

Civil War

Patience

You Could Be Mine

November Rain

Matt Sorum Drum Solo

Slash Guitar Solo

Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)

Don't Cry

Sweet Child O' Mine

Paradise City

It’s So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Live and Let Die

Welcome to the Jungle

The Garden

Attitude

Double Talkin' Jive

You Ain't the First

You're Crazy

Used to Love Her

Patience

November Rain

Dead Horse

Matt Sorum Drum Solo

You Could Be Mine

Slash Guitar Solo

Sweet Child O' Mine

Don't Cry

Paradise City

• Like 1

You know the thing is that I would be traveling to another country just to see my fav. band and there are many people like me. Not everyone has that much money who could afford to go to both the shows if they are playing at the same venue

But man keeping Chinese Democracy for all nights and rotating Don't Cry with Patience is ABSURD 

My heart will be broken if they don't play Don't Cry on the night I go

• Like 1

On 7/23/2016 at 5:34 PM, Slash787 said:

You know the thing is that I would be traveling to another country just to see my fav. band and there are many people like me. Not everyone has that much money who could afford to go to both the shows if they are playing at the same venue

But man keeping Chinese Democracy for all nights and rotating Don't Cry with Patience is ABSURD 

My heart will be broken if they don't play Don't Cry on the night I go

Agreed 100%.  This isn't about bashing Chi-Dem.  It's about missing out on great Appetite/Lies/Illusions songs.   "Better" and "This I Love" aren't worth missing out on Patiernce/Don't Cry (mega-hits), Perfect Crime, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Right Next Door to Hell, or Breakdown.   Also, it's strange to have 3 Chinese Democracy songs and 0-1 songs off GnR Lies and call this a reunion of the Iconic lineup.     

• Like 3

I am caught in 2 minds about this topic...

On one hand im like.. well Axl and Slash being back together superseeds any issue i have with the set-list, and i wonder how much negotiating actually went on between the 2 of them to make this tour happen? If its just a case of Slash liking the songs and being happy enough to play anything and go with the flow.. then fair enough... if it was a case of Slash having to bow to Axl's demands of CD songs being played.. then i guess thats the trade off we have to put up with.

On the other hand.. i think.. fukk it... there is so many better songs in the back catalogue id rather here, and i dont think i am alone in that. I can even cop the CD songs over the seeker... the seeker is killing me.. its a cover that isnt pareticularly enjoyed by anyone i now of.. and its a staple.. i know that argument has been done to death as well on here.. but cant we get yesterdays, dont cry & patience, what about right next door to hell? My michelle? Dead Horse.. The Garden? Dust n Bones? Down on the farm would be a better cover than the seeker.. :)

I think this band having slash back wiuth duff deserves a couple of the older songs dusted off even if its just one new song a night switched around to keep us guessing. I know you cant make everyone happy.. for instance people whinging about KOHD being played.. i actually love it.. so opinions vary...

But again... if it was painstaiking negotiating just to get what we have... then none of us should complain about anything i guess.

I'm with you on the covers.  Way too many covers, too!  I count SEVEN covers on this tour:  (1) Live and Let Die; (2) New Rose/Attitude; (3) Speak Softly Love/Slash Solo; (4) Wish You Were Here guitar duo; (5) Layla Intro to November Rain; (6) Knockin' on Heaven's Door; and (7) the dreaded, Seeker.   And some nights have an "Angie" intro to Patience plus "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" intro to the Duff vocal cover.    That's a lot of covers for a band with it's own following.  

You only really need Knockin' on Heaven's Door and the Slash Solo cover, and maybe Live and Let Die.  Although I loved the show (metlife 7/23), I went to see Guns N' Roses, not the world's greatest cover band....

Plenty of bands have mediocore albums, which is exactly what CD is.  Add the weight of the years, cost, in fighting, and a strange band of hired Guns.....the album drops below mediocore.

Aerosmith did not keep playing 4 songs a night from the album, minus Perry and Whitford..........

But Slash is playing nice with Axl, so it is what it is.

• Like 1

How the hell some say CD is a bad album. This for me is a mystery. Some single songs on that album buries discographies of many other bands. And what's wrong to play some of them? I ask you. You really thinks that "Pretty tied up" or "Perfect crime" are much better of TWAT or "Prostitute" or "Madagascar" or "Catcher"?

If ChiDem was played in full at a concert, I know I'd love it no matter who's behind the instruments; like it or not, most of the tracks from the album flow nicely with the rest of their typical setlist because it still has the vintage Guns sound, it's just whiny manbabies upset over Axl putting together a fine album without Slash on it still being salty

269.png

15 minutes ago, Gackt said:

If ChiDem was played in full at a concert, I know I'd love it no matter who's behind the instruments; like it or not, most of the tracks from the album flow nicely with the rest of their typical setlist because it still has the vintage Guns sound, it's just whiny manbabies upset over Axl putting together a fine album without Slash on it still being salty

269.png

If you actually believe that dribble then you have some serious issues ;)

The songs on CD are derided for a number of reasons... slash not being on them is about 10% of the problem.. the main problem is... that album sucks donkeys compared to AFD/Illusions... and for the majority.. yes.. there are far better songs on all 3 albums that people would prefer to hear over CD or lesser liked covers like the seeker.

lets face it.. there is 23-25 songs in the set-list.. not everything can be in it... but with slash and duff on board.. between the amount of CD songs and covers.. some good songs from the other 3 albums are missing out constantly. thats the problem.

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

The songs on CD are derided for a number of reasons... slash not being on them is about 10% of the problem.. the main problem is... that album sucks donkeys compared to AFD/Illusions... and for the majority.. yes.. there are far better songs on all 3 albums that people would prefer to hear over CD or lesser liked covers like the seeker.

Literally not an argument

3 hours ago, sjlgnr said:

Agreed 100%.  This isn't about bashing Chi-Dem.  It's about missing out on great Appetite/Lies/Illusions songs.   "Better" and "This I Love" aren't worth missing out on Patiernce/Don't Cry (mega-hits), Perfect Crime, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Right Next Door to Hell, or Breakdown.   Also, it's strange to have 3 Chinese Democracy songs and 0-1 songs off GnR Lies and call this a reunion of the Iconic lineup.     

Sometimes 4 CD songs!