How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

Duck tongues and snake soup is my limit. Chicken's feet can run far away from me. If I see a sign "Best Dog in Town" I know I must have stumbled into Koreatown. 

people think it's strange that i like duck, i would hate to see what they'd have to say about me eating duck tongue! i used to order this really good duck dish from a Chinese place and one day the Chinese lady who brought me the duck said something ( it was in very broken english so i can't really relate exactly what she said ) along the lines of what is a white girl doing ordering and enjoying duck! chicken's feet...ew, no thanks. as for the dog thing i knew a guy who was going to China and he was determined to eat ( this is hard for me ) PUPPY :( he said it would impress his grandfather :max:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

She was probably praising you for buying her duck. Money money money. Peking Duck is good. They dip it in sugar and plum sauce. 

They eat ferrets in Guandong. They like all sorts of rare animals. I think that's where SARS came from. Sevit is like a ferret. They also live with chickens a lot so that's chicken flu. But KFC is safe yo. 

Chi-Dem fans keep talking around the facts:  Appetite (18x), Use Your Illusion I & II (7x each) and Lies (5x) are 5-18 times more popular than Chi-Dem.   But we're getting just 0-1 songs from Lies, 3 songs from Use Your Illusion I, 3-4 songs from Use Your Illusion II, AND 3-4 from Chi-Dem??!!!   

That's ridiculous!   Chinese Democracy is nowhere near as important as either Illusion album or Lies (which includes a Top 5 hit and the Live! Like a Suicide demo).  

This isn't about bashing Chi-Dem.  This is about why are we getting so much of Axl's unimportant solo album instead of signature songs from the classic records that we ALL love!

That said, I'm with AxlsFavoriteRose that the Chinese Democracy songs give you time during a concert to hit the bathroom.  They're also great for waiting on line for drinks -- I sing the lyrics to "Better" while I'm waiting for a Budweiser...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sjlgnr said:

Chi-Dem fans keep talking around the facts:  Appetite (18x), Use Your Illusion I & II (7x each) and Lies (5x) are 5-18 times more popular than Chi-Dem.   But we're getting just 0-1 songs from Lies, 3 songs from Use Your Illusion I, 3-4 songs from Use Your Illusion II, AND 3-4 from Chi-Dem??!!!   

That's ridiculous!   Chinese Democracy is nowhere near as important as either Illusion album or Lies (which includes a Top 5 hit and the Live! Like a Suicide demo).  

This isn't about bashing Chi-Dem.  This is about why are we getting so much of Axl's unimportant solo album instead of signature songs from the classic records that we ALL love!

That said, I'm with AxlsFavoriteRose that the Chinese Democracy songs give you time during a concert to hit the bathroom.  They're also great for waiting on line for drinks -- I sing the lyrics to "Better" while I'm waiting for a Budweiser...

I don't understand why people keep talking about facts as if that just makes the fact some people like CD and Axl likes CD irrelevant. They're in the show because Axl wants them to be, he has even said he enjoys performing those songs the most. It's obviously important to him, he spent years working on that album, whether it was worth it or not is up to opinion, but it was still his time and effort he spent during that process, I doubt you'd want to let that go if you spent so much of your life on it. And lol at "this isn't about bashing chi-dem" immediately followed by calling it "Axl's unimportant solo album". I understand wanting more classic tracks. There's quite a few I'd like to see on the set list at some point, I personally think they should remove better and replace it with something from the classic albums, as Axl really can't or won't sing it correctly atm. 

"Axl's uninportant solo album". This is crazy. I respect everyone and we have our musical tastes. But CD is a Guns Album and is Important  (in many ways). I think stop complain the set List.  I for example would delete KOHD. But they like it. I love TWAT and think it is one of the better songs ever. Way better of Dont cry.  But they are musical tastes. So in the end what the hell are you complain about? Nonsense At all. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

No, I just live in China. But I've heard of that Chinaman, my guess is it's linked the Chinese being seen as sneaky or devious? Chinese eyes as seen in Cheech n Chong probably opium related!

Charlie Sheen, trial for Derbyshire, gets AIDS by trannys, lives in China, loves Chinese democracy

Oddbod you are?

4 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

people think it's strange that i like duck, i would hate to see what they'd have to say about me eating duck tongue! i used to order this really good duck dish from a Chinese place and one day the Chinese lady who brought me the duck said something ( it was in very broken english so i can't really relate exactly what she said ) along the lines of what is a white girl doing ordering and enjoying duck! chicken's feet...ew, no thanks. as for the dog thing i knew a guy who was going to China and he was determined to eat ( this is hard for me ) PUPPY :( he said it would impress his grandfather :max:

Duck is awesome

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Igigion said:

"Axl's uninportant solo album". This is crazy. I respect everyone and we have our musical tastes. But CD is a Guns Album and is Important  (in many ways). I think stop complain the set List.  I for example would delete KOHD. But they like it. I love TWAT and think it is one of the better songs ever. Way better of Dont cry.  But they are musical tastes. So in the end what the hell are you complain about? Nonsense At all. 

It is objective fact that Chinese Democracy is not an important album because it did not sell well and it did not influence any rock n' roll movement at all.  It's simple:  An album that sells only 1 million copies (most from a Best-Buy pre-order) is nowhere near as important as an album that sold 5 million copies (Lies), an album that sells 7 million copies (each Illusions album), or an album that sells 18 million (Appetite).  

Chinese Democracy is not important to most Guns N' Roses fans.  Most Guns N' Roses fans did not buy it.  And many who bought Chinese Democracy did not like it (including yours truly). So those fans should not have Chi-Dem songs forced down their throats at concerts that are supposed to be about reuniting the Iconic lineup that did not play on Chinese Democracy.  

People aren't shelling out hundreds of dollars per ticket for a STADIUM TOUR to listen to Axl's favorite Chi-Dem songs that Axl.  People are paying for a reunion of the old Guns N' Roses. If Axl wants to unilaterally pick his much less popular Chi-Dem songs, then he (and you) can go take those songs to the 5,000 seat venues he was playing with his replacement band before the reunion.   He can rehire DJAshba, Bucket-Bumble-head-foot, and Tommy Stinson to play those songs.   And I won't be going.

You are entitled to your own tastes.  My problem is that Axl, you and all the Chi-Dem sycophants are for forcing his choices on the rest of us, who loved the prior albums.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjlgnr said:

My problem is that Axl, you and all the Chi-Dem sycophants are for forcing his choices on the rest of us, who loved the prior albums.  

I find this comment fascinating. Forcing his choices on you. What an interesting way to say this. Truthfully, I don't see it and it sounds a bit over-dramatic. First, I hate to tell you this, but fans have absolutely no say in what Axl does with his band. Not fans who like Chinese Democracy and not fans who hate Chinese Democracy. Because, you know, we are fans. Not Business Partners. If we had a say then we would have forced Axl and Slash back together a long time ago. Which as people, they get to have a say in how they run their life. Second, Axl is not forcing you to follow this Frankenstein Band of old and new. That is something you are choosing to do yourself. He is living his life how he wants. He is running his business, his band, as he sees fit. As, you know, it belongs to him. He may be sharing decision making/ownership responsibilities with Slash and Duff, but that is something he decided to do it if that is the case as, ultimately, he owns Guns n' Roses. It is his band. Possibly their band now. The band put a whole hell of a lot of work into getting a tour set up and going. Axl put a whole hell of a lot of work creating most of the music they are playing at the shows and the band as a whole puts in even more work when they sweat all over the stage for over 2 1/2 hours every gig. This is something Guns n' Roses decided to do.They are not forcing us to go. They put out an event and  either we fans can go to the shows or not. That is our choice. If you go then you made choice to listen to the set list they created. It may not include songs we love and only songs that we hate, but you know what? It was our choice to go, they did not force us to be there. You are choosing not to go- so no one has forced a choice upon you.

You don't want them to play Chinese Democracy. That is fine. You don't like others liking the Chinese Democracy played which, okay if you want to feel that way go on ahead, but you don't get to choose how other fans get feel about it. They can like it or not like it as they want just as you get to. On top of all this you don't want Axl "forcing his choices on the rest of us" but you seem perfectly okay with the idea of being able to force your own personal preferences on to the band. You know, the people who have put more hours into stressing over, sweating over, and trying to make things work than even the most obsessed fan has put into going to the shows, listening to the music and makes comments on messages boards. You want to tell them how they must run their business because... you are a fan? 

I have not seen a single review that said a show was ruined because a Chinese Democracy song was played. Sure some preferred it not to be played just as some were happy to see it play. Just as some think Coma should be dropped from the setlist and other wants it to stay. 

I found your comment fascinating and while you might have meant it in hyperbole, it really touched upon something that I had to comment on.

Edited by sanity_lost
  • Like 4

On July 27, 2016 at 11:05 PM, sjlgnr said:

It is objective fact that Chinese Democracy is not an important album because it did not sell well and it did not influence any rock n' roll movement at all.  It's simple:  An album that sells only 1 million copies (most from a Best-Buy pre-order) is nowhere near as important as an album that sold 5 million copies (Lies), an album that sells 7 million copies (each Illusions album), or an album that sells 18 million (Appetite).  

Chinese Democracy is not important to most Guns N' Roses fans.  Most Guns N' Roses fans did not buy it.  And many who bought Chinese Democracy did not like it (including yours truly). So those fans should not have Chi-Dem songs forced down their throats at concerts that are supposed to be about reuniting the Iconic lineup that did not play on Chinese Democracy.  

People aren't shelling out hundreds of dollars per ticket for a STADIUM TOUR to listen to Axl's favorite Chi-Dem songs that Axl.  People are paying for a reunion of the old Guns N' Roses. If Axl wants to unilaterally pick his much less popular Chi-Dem songs, then he (and you) can go take those songs to the 5,000 seat venues he was playing with his replacement band before the reunion.   He can rehire DJAshba, Bucket-Bumble-head-foot, and Tommy Stinson to play those songs.   And I won't be going.

You are entitled to your own tastes.  My problem is that Axl, you and all the Chi-Dem sycophants are for forcing his choices on the rest of us, who loved the prior albums.   

It's Axl's band though. He isn't forcing anybody to listen to anything.  You decide if you want to buy a ticket. Axl and the band decide what they want to play. That's the way concerts work. 

And if you polled 25 people on this forum and asked what 20 songs they wanted at the next show you would get 25 different lists. So no matter what songs Axl plays, some fans will moan and complain. It's pretty arrogant to think that Axl should do exactly what you think he should do. You don't speak for all fans. You are mad about 4 CD songs. Great  that's your perogative. I've been a fan since 1987 and I would much rather hear IRS and SOD at the next live show than hear Mr Brownstone and Live and Let Die. And I would much rather hear The General and Soulmonster at the next show than hear It's So Easy and Heavens Door  

Is 12-13 minutes of a 2.5 hour show really that much to complain about? 

Maybe just remember that it isn't all about you and that lots of people have different tastes than you do. Axl has to do his best to please 50,000 people a night. 

And GnR is his baby. His job. He deserves the right to play whatever songs make him happy. We, as fans, can then choose whether or not to pay money to go see him perform. 

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

It's Axl's band though. He isn't forcing anybody to listen to anything.  You decide if you want to buy a ticket. Axl and the band decide what they want to play. That's the way concerts work. 

And if you polled 25 people on this forum and asked what 20 songs they wanted at the next show you would get 25 different lists. So no matter what songs Axl plays, some fans will moan and complain. It's pretty arrogant to think that Axl should do exactly what you think he should do. You don't speak for all fans. You are mad about 4 CD songs. Great  that's your perogative. I've been a fan since 1987 and I would much rather hear IRS and SOD at the next live show than hear Mr Brownstone and Live and Let Die. And I would much rather hear The General and Soulmonster at the next show than hear It's So Easy and Heavens Door  

Is 12-13 minutes of a 2.5 hour show really that much to complain about? 

Maybe just remember that it isn't all about you and that lots of people have different tastes than you do. Axl has to do his best to please 50,000 people a night. 

And GnR is his baby. His job. He deserves the right to play whatever songs make him happy. We, as fans, can then choose whether or not to pay money to go see him perform. 

Aha!  So the Axl "owns everything" baloney finally comes out.   But it's blatantly false.   Izzy Stradlin and Slash had just as much or more songwriting input on Guns N' Roses as Axl.  

It is NOT Axl's band; not by a long shot.  Axl does not own all of the rights to the Guns N' Roses songs; not even close to a majority of the rights, either.   Even Steven Adler owns 15% of the songs that he played on.  So it's not Axl's prerogative at all -- even if that were the only issue.   All Axl owns unilaterally is the "Guns n' Roses" name, based on a contract and him taking Tracii Guns's name and merging it with Hollywood Rose/W. Axl Rose.   I also suspect Axl doesn't even own the Gn'R Iconic logo, judging from the fact that he wasn't displaying it prior to the Reunion.

More importantly, it's not Axl that's drawing all of the fans to a 50,000-seat venue.  It's the reunion with Slash and Duff.  Axl was barely filling the hard rock before the reunion tour.   And plainly most fans don't share your Chinese Democracy preference because they are just not buying Chinese Democracy.  The reality that Chinese Democracy was just as much a dud as The Spaghetti Incident has to set in, my friend.  Both albums sold a million, that's it.  The fans' verdict has been rendered.

This isn't about Axl's "right" or what he "deserves."  He's part of selling us a product called a reunion, and if you're selling a reunion you shouldn't be playing songs from when you were apart.  And if he keeps larding the setlist with Chi-Dem songs, attendance will start dropping.  It's not 12-13 minutes:  When they do 4 Chi-Dem songs it's at least 20 minutes of a 150 minute show.  That's totally uncalled for in a reunion show -- if it was 1-2 songs that would be a different story, but here we're seeing Chi-Dem songs bump songs from Lies completely out of the concert.

• Like 1

Slash isn't exactly half-assing the Chinese Democracy songs, he's added his own touch to them and he's killing it. Maybe he likes the idea of taking these songs and making them his own? Axl's obviously happy, grinning like a pig in shit after every This I love solo because Slash is the guy he always wanted playing it. 

So, to recap, Slash seems happy to play them, Axl is happy to have them playing them, but is that good enough? Nooooooooooooooooo because like 5% of the audience wants Used to Love her or Yesterdays.