How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

Well, this info confirms what most of "objective" fans wrote.

Axl didnt force it, but Slash was told it woule be good to play a few CS songs. What I am courious about is - did Slither became a part of that deal or is it just what Slash wouls like to happen? Im still not convinced Axl's gonna sing it at any point. I see Duff singing Slither instead of Attitude/New Rose.

3 or 4 CD songs per show, I can live with that. The Seeker bothers me more.

Edited by MisterNo

Slash and Duff play those songs because they are professionals. They know when it's ok to compromise for the sake of the bigger picture. And hell, to me it looks like, based on youtube-videos, that they actually like playing those songs.

(Now, play Slither, god damn it :D )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

The band members got together for rehearsals (without Axl) about 3 weeks before they had the tour meetings that resulted in a failed deal with Izzy and special appearance verbal agreement with Steven Adler.  

My communication with certain people involved in the band has been limited recently, and when I speak with them I can't press them for questions that only us forum nerds would care about

@Eddie Money Thanks for the insight.

My question is this:  Was Izzy, and/or Steven, involved in those rehearsal sessions???

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

So...Fall To Pieces in the mix as well, interesting. 

How the hell do you "forget" rehearsals as important as gearing up for a stadium tour with Slash? Honestly :lol: 

His internet must have crashed. That is usually how Axl knows about the tours he is playing, isn't it, reading it on the internet?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah, I would never tell anyone they can't like CD, they are dumb for liking it, or they are just pretending that they like it.  But I constantly hear that I am not giving it a chance because Slash isn't on it and so on. Or it is a great album but I just refuse to like it or watver. Maybe I just think it is terrible. It isn't really that far fetched since it doesn't sound anything like the Guns N Roses I fell in love with. 

People like @NicoRourke are constantly butt hurt and calling me out. Well I am a huge Guns N' Roses fan too and I will give my opinion whether he likes it or not. I don't like him or agree with him but I don't get all pissy over his opinion. 

There are a good amount of fans that think they are playing too many CD songs and ignoring their classic catalog. A lot of them are even fans of of CD.

As always, I really enjoy your level headed perspective @RussTCB

Right on man. 

You actually mentioned one I forgot: telling people they're pretending they do or do not like it. I get that one all the time! "Oh, you're making shit up. You can't possibly like the album as much as you say you do!" LOL. 

My one and only objection to people who don't like CD are people who've never even listened to it, yet they're certain they don't like it. I don't think people need to listen to it more and maybe they'll like it either. It is what it is... it's art. Some people are gonna like it, others are gonna hate it. 

To bring it back around to the thread topic itself: I happen to be happy as shit that Slash & Duff are playing on CD songs. I could see how others wouldn't be happy about it though whether they like the album or not. Hell, I love the album and I'd still kill to hear PTU, Locomotive, Breakdown, BA, DH, RNDTH or any number of other classic tunes before hearing pretty much anything but Better.

I'm in a weird place with the set list personally. If you would have told me a year ago that Slash would be back in GN'R and I would have watched them do Coma THREE times this year already, I would have told you that you're the biggest dreamer since the invention of the dream. If you would've told me that on top of that, they would be doing as many as 4 CD songs in one night, I would have just plain called the authorities and had you commited. Yet... here we are. I kind of feel dumb even typing sentences like the above one where I mention shit like them playing Breakdown, BA or whatever.

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of that aside, I still see where people who don't like CD do not want to hear any of it live. It's one of the reasons I have no interest in seeing Axl/DC in a few weeks. My favorite frontman of all time will be in town and he'll be fronting a band, why would I not wanna go? Simple; he's singing songs I don't like. Same thing can be said for Slash playing on CD songs as far as I'm concerned. If you don't like the songs, why would you care if Slash is playing on them or not?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

I may be late to the discussion but I am pleased to confirm that Axl didn't specifically ask or instruct Slash and Duff to learn Chinese Democracy songs.  Instead, it went like this.  The band members got together for rehearsals (without Axl) about 3 weeks before they had the tour meetings that resulted in a failed deal with Izzy and special appearance verbal agreement with Steven Adler.  Duff encouraged Slash to learn the CD songs that he had played on the previous tour in which he participated. Axl was nowhere to be found at the rehearsals and actually supposedly "forgot" they were taking place and made other plans. The way I understood it was that Slash didn't necessarily love the idea of playing so many of these songs but thought it would be cool if they also play a song or two of VR. As far as we know Axl hasn't even rehearsed Slither, Fall to Pieces with the band. My communication with certain people involved in the band has been limited recently, and when I speak with them I can't press them for questions that only us forum nerds would care about. 

I first reported that CD songs would be played and most of you didn't believe me. At the time, I had heard that they would play at least two songs. I had no idea that they would try and work in 4. 

Well, that doesn't sound good at all.

Axl "forgetting" about the first time in 20 years that he'll play with Slash? Kinda hard to believe, looks like some kind of a manifestation rather than memory problems. Was he into the reunion then? Or was it something the situation (lack of interest in his new lineup) sort of forced upon him?

It's all strange. I also wonder what it was that supposedly almost ruined the reunion before it happened (there was such rumor at some point).

47 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I still see where people who don't like CD do not want to hear any of it live.

Another great post...

Yes, to bring it back around ;)

I personally don't like CD and would prefer not to hear any I am not dead against them playing songs off of it. I acknowledge there are crazy people like you that like it ;) Kidding.  I do acknowledge that there are Gn'R fans like it.  I don't believe they are the majority but I have no problem throwing them a bone or two per show.. I think that is reasonable. The shows are certainly long enough. I just think that 3 or 4 is overkill.  Especially when they are playing only one if any songs off of LIES. They have played 6 songs off CD this stadium tour so far. That is more than they have played off LIES or either Illusions albums. I have no scientific proof but I am guessing most hardcore and casual fans would prefer that not be the case. 

The shows have been amazing.. Cut it down to two CD songs and throw in something like Breakdown, Locomotive, Think About You or Nice Boys ect. and it just launches them to another stratosphere \m/ 

• Like 2

Until they release new stuff I would love to hear CD songs live. By the sound of things I'm dying to hear Slash on Shackler's. 

I'm surprised they haven't done Bad Obsession or Move to the City yet. But Coma is a big whopper so the set is pretty interesting to returning fans. 

30 minutes ago, Chuzeville said:

Maybe Slash enjoys playing CD songs, as material that is new... to him.

Personally, I would guess he likes them just based on the level of effort he's put into them so far. 

CD might have had four decent songs on it if it wasn't so swamped in over production. It is truly a soulless album. IRS is probably the best song on it but the lyrics are shite. Slash could probably do something good with IRS in my opinion.

I used to like Better but I cannot stand it now for some reason, something to do with that numetally Robin Fink riff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Right on man. 

You actually mentioned one I forgot: telling people they're pretending they do or do not like it. I get that one all the time! "Oh, you're making shit up. You can't possibly like the album as much as you say you do!" LOL. 

My one and only objection to people who don't like CD are people who've never even listened to it, yet they're certain they don't like it. I don't think people need to listen to it more and maybe they'll like it either. It is what it is... it's art. Some people are gonna like it, others are gonna hate it. 

To bring it back around to the thread topic itself: I happen to be happy as shit that Slash & Duff are playing on CD songs. I could see how others wouldn't be happy about it though whether they like the album or not. Hell, I love the album and I'd still kill to hear PTU, Locomotive, Breakdown, BA, DH, RNDTH or any number of other classic tunes before hearing pretty much anything but Better.

I'm in a weird place with the set list personally. If you would have told me a year ago that Slash would be back in GN'R and I would have watched them do Coma THREE times this year already, I would have told you that you're the biggest dreamer since the invention of the dream. If you would've told me that on top of that, they would be doing as many as 4 CD songs in one night, I would have just plain called the authorities and had you commited. Yet... here we are. I kind of feel dumb even typing sentences like the above one where I mention shit like them playing Breakdown, BA or whatever.

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of that aside, I still see where people who don't like CD do not want to hear any of it live. It's one of the reasons I have no interest in seeing Axl/DC in a few weeks. My favorite frontman of all time will be in town and he'll be fronting a band, why would I not wanna go? Simple; he's singing songs I don't like. Same thing can be said for Slash playing on CD songs as far as I'm concerned. If you don't like the songs, why would you care if Slash is playing on them or not?

But they are so similar to other GNR songs, what's not to like? 

Axl - Will you play Chinese Democracy songs?

Slash - NO!

Axl - I will tell Perla to come to every show and will give her a backstage pass

Slash - OK I WILL PLAY! 

Axl - ICON10.jpg

Edited by Slash787

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

His internet must have crashed. That is usually how Axl knows about the tours he is playing, isn't it, reading it on the internet?

My internet didn't crash, but I did.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

CD might have had four decent songs on it if it wasn't so swamped in over production. It is truly a soulless album. IRS is probably the best song on it but the lyrics are shite. Slash could probably do something good with IRS in my opinion.

I used to like Better but I cannot stand it now for some reason, something to do with that numetally Robin Fink riff.

Its the most soulful record I've ever listened to. Its at least up there with Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.

Edited by Mr. Dude

16 minutes ago, wasted said:

But they are so similar to other GNR songs, what's not to like? 

That right there is the argument most have. Some think it sounds like GNR, others don't. 

PS... I removed the posts regarding Neil Young. Please take that discussion to the My World section. 

The problem with CD is that there are great ideas or pieces in the songs but few straight up classics like what we find in the old catalogue.

I listen to Madagascar and the blues and think "oh that's cool....sounds like illusions...oh wait....that sucks..." :facepalm: Felt like that throughout CD. And Tom-ass is right, Axl doesn't even sound good on half the album.

Strip down catcher in the Rye, better, twat and maybe prostitute -- have Duff, Izzy, and Slash revise them and you might have illusion era worthy songs. Possibly sorry, irs, Madagascar and the blues could be saved this way -- but you'd have to revise the lyrics, strip everything out to its rawest form...

Basically -- to make CD worthy of Guns n Roses, they'd have to essentially do the album from scratch.

• Like 3

Just now, RussTCB said:

That right there is the argument most have. Some think it sounds like GNR, others don't. 

PS... I removed the posts regarding Neil Young. Please take that discussion to the My World section. 

I understand they don't sound the same, the tone and production. But with Slash re-writing the guitar parts in the same way he did in early Guns, it's so close it's hard to see why people would make it big deal. It's like people need the feud to define they opinions. Feud is over if you want it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

I understand they don't sound the same, the tone and production. But with Slash re-writing the guitar parts in the same way he did in early Guns, it's so close it's hard to see why people would make it big deal. It's like people need the feud to define they opinions. Feud is over if you want it. 

Or could it be that some genuinely feel it is a poor album?

I mean, ''sitting in a Chinese stew''? Come on! Axl can write better lyrics than that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KURT19 said:

@Eddie Money Thanks for the insight.

My question is this:  Was Izzy, and/or Steven, involved in those rehearsal sessions???

I don't think so Izzy was involved in those rehearsal sessions, maybe they had a meeting with him to talk about the plans and how much he would get per show or something, but well that din't seem to work out.

For Steven, I guess he was involved, but he had injured his back. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Or could it be that some genuinely feel it is a poor album?

I mean, ''sitting in a Chinese stew''? Come on! Axl can write better lyrics than that!

I think it describes the situation pretty well. Just like Turn around bitch I got a use for stew. 

I can buy they think it's a genuinely poorly produced album or not to their tastes. But songwriting wise I reject completely that it is poor. But I get with Bucket and Finck etc it doesn't deliver the hard rock product a lot want from GNR. But with Slash and Duff on board I think that is solved to a great degree. 

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

For me, I listen whatever song I can relate to, I anyways saw CD as an Axl's solo project. If he wants to add some songs then there should be songs by VR or Slash's solo album too.

They should just get rid of the title track. Keep Better, TIL and Madagascar/The Blues.

For VR/Slash it should be Slither, Anastasia and Ghost/Fall to Pieces.

Keeping 3 CD songs and 3 VR/Slash songs would be the perfect thing to do. 

Bottom line:  No one has come up with a good reason why we're getting 3-4 Chinese Democracy songs at the expense of all the songs from Lies.  This isn't about bashing Chinese Democracy (even though it is mediocre and subpar for GnR).  It's about skipping an entire album of the Iconic lineup's work for 4 songs off an album that didn't include the Iconic lineup.  It makes no sense, and it's not fair to fans of the Iconic lineup -- which dwarf the Chinese Democracy fans.  

At the 7/23 MetLife show, the crowd was almost silent for "Better" and "This I Love" both because the songs are average and most of the crow did not know them.    Let's skip the subjective point and get right down to the facts, here are the album sales numbers (US):

Appetite:  18x Platinum

GnR Lies:  5x Platinum

Use Your Illusions I & II:  7x Platinum Each

Chinese Democracy: 1x Platinum

With those album sales, there is NO WAY we should be getting 4 Chinese Democracy songs.   Objectively, people just didn't buy Chinese Democracy and just didn't like it as much as the prior albums.  And on top of that Duff and Slash didn't play on it.  So Eddie Money's point that this is due to Axl's hubris sounds about right to me.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Right on man. 

I was actually against them doing Chinese songs live when this was all just rumors. I LOVE the album but figured this tour should focus on the classic era. Now that they're doing Chinese, I'm happy. I think they do a fantastic job on the songs and I think 3 per show is a good number. I can understand why some people don't like that, and even though I think the ocassional 4th Chidem slot is cool I can also see why it's overkill for others. As long as this tour focuses on the classics (which it is), I'm good.

Iverall, it's a great set imo. Something for everyone. All the hits, classic deep cuts (DTJ and Coma), some Chinese, a few jams.... replace Seeker for Slither and it's near perfect for a 2.5 hour set covering all eras