How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

37 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

yes, much better.. I don't know why some people can't grasp that a lot of Guns N' Roses fans don't like Chinese Democracy. It doesn't sounds anything like Guns n' Roses. Axl doesn't even sound good on half of it. 

Truth!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I believe Axl is 100% behind them still playing CD songs... I am sure there were conversations between Duff and Axl about possibly getting Slash back in the mix and having a semi reunion. I guarantee Axl told Duff that he isn't willing to just forget about Chinese Democracy. Duff probably conveyed that to Slash and Slash was fine with it. In fact he is probably trying too hard to make Axl happy. Playing 4 songs a night and none off LIES is just wrong. Spending all the effort in learning only CD songs and not classic Guns songs is just wrong. Those are the only songs they have been switching up and it really is only a small fraction of the people at these shows that even knows or likes them. I don't really believe the notion that Slash really likes the songs on CD either. There was a recent video where they were asking him about it and he was trying his best to say positive things about it without actually saying it was good or bad. He said it was great to hear Axl's voice.. And it was the perfect record for Axl. He also made a comment at the end that gave the impression that he didn't like actual music.

The show was amazing but they are still playing too many CD songs... The album was a flop by most peoples standards.. Most bands don't continue to try and force a flop down peoples throats 8 years later. Seriously, they have played more songs this tour from CD than LIES or either Illusions album. Gn'R and Axl were fading away.. Millions of fans are back and CD didn't have a thing to do with any of them returning.

1 or two songs fine... But they are spending way too much effort on CD songs

Exactly this.

There is another thread that asks for us all to detail a set list for 15 guns songs... and most of us found it hard to come up with because we were leaving out some excellent songs..

a real set list has about 23 songs... and 4 of those are CD songs and then add the seeker and ypou almost have a real life problem of leaving out some bloody awesome songs every single show. Thats the problem... any variation of AFD and or Illusions that isnt getting played because of the CD stuff and the other covers would do me fine just to get something else in there... i wont even argue which songs from those 3 albums should be in there, but IMO.. any variation has more right than CD and/or seeker...

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

yes, much better.. I don't know why some people can't grasp that a lot of Guns N' Roses fans don't like Chinese Democracy. It doesn't sounds anything like Guns n' Roses. Axl doesn't even sound good on half of it. 

This is so petty. You have Slash and Axl, with Duff, playing together as Guns N'Roses, on a successful stadium tour, and there's gotta be SOMETHING to piss and moan over. The causal fans who are there to see Axl and Slash play the hits they remember care as much about Chinese Democracy songs as they do the deep cuts you want in their place. 

6 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

This is so petty. You have Slash and Axl, with Duff, playing together as Guns N'Roses, on a successful stadium tour, and there's gotta be SOMETHING to piss and moan over. The causal fans who are there to see Axl and Slash play the hits they remember care as much about Chinese Democracy songs as they do the deep cuts you want in their place. 

I wouldnt call anything on AFD a "deep cut".. thats just me though.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I sort of agree with you in the big picture sense.

But are you telling me the vast majority would not swap out 'This I Love' for 'Yesterdays'?  Or 'Sorry' or 'Catcher' for 'Used To Love Her'?

I would rather have deep Illusion cutes over CD songs, but at least the band as a whole sounds great on the CD tunes and Slash is making them sound more "GNR like" so all in all I am happy with that

I was never a big fan of the CD songs and probably will never be, but i can understand Axl why he wanna have at least some of them in the setlist. He put so many years and work into those songs . If someone tells me to abandon something i put my heart into and spend so many years with, it would be a slap in the face for me.

I always thought that Axl kinda forced the songs on Slash and Duff. But the more i think about it, it maybe was really just mutual understanding and respect. Both Slash and Duff wrote their own songs with their own bands and probably know very well how hard it is to abandon songs they worked hard for, because nobody else apprechiates them.

The best solution to this 'problem' would be that they play an 4 hour concert so that they can stuff some more old songs into the set ;)

There are definitely classic GNR songs which personally I'm not as into as when I could walk, I mean in my 20s, and there are songs on CD I feel more now. I'm happy Axl moved on, and we can still go back to AFD. Slash also grown as a guitarist, so I think hope they can join back together to make music together to top off the GNR story. 

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I guarantee Axl told Duff that he isn't willing to just forget about Chinese Democracy. Duff probably conveyed that to Slash and Slash was fine with it. In fact he is probably trying too hard to make Axl happy. Playing 4 songs a night and none off LIES is just wrong. Spending all the effort in learning only CD songs and not classic Guns songs is just wrong. Those are the only songs they have been switching up and it really is only a small fraction of the people at these shows that even knows or likes them. I don't really believe the notion that Slash really likes the songs on CD either. There was a recent video where they were asking him about it and he was trying his best to say positive things about it without actually saying it was good or bad. He said it was great to hear Axl's voice.. And it was the perfect record for Axl. He also made a comment at the end that gave the impression that he didn't like actual music.

Well if you guarantee it! The truth is you know shit about why they are playing the songs they do but if believing your own BS gets you through the day, go ahead.

• Like 2

At the end of the day Richard and Frank have been playing Slash and Duffs songs for a decade now, why cant Slash and Duff return the favor by playing theirs off CD? Plus if Slash had been forced to play them, he would get Fortus to do the solos, Duffs wouldn't sing backing vocals on Better and Slash wouldn't be running around throwing his energy into the songs if he didn't care.

@Tom-Ass there you are again, spewing the same old rethoric. You sound like a broken record, and a bad one.

The Slash video you mentioned is not recent at all and he didn't say anything negative about the album.

You don't know if they're 'forced' to play the material or not, it's just your personal and endless story.

I do believe they put a lot of thoughts in building the show.  And CD being a GNR album, it's logical that it's represented. With the flavor and approach of Sluff. Deal with it.

• Like 1

But songs like This I Love and Catcher are almost UYI era songs and with Slash playing them they don't sound like CD.

It's Axl songs with Slash playing them, sounds like GNR to me. 

Overall I don't think many people care about the presence of CD songs, Chi dem with Slash gets a great reaction. Sorry to me is very GNR. 

Better is the one that tone wise doesn't fit GNR. But I love the new intro by Slash. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

So...Fall To Pieces in the mix as well, interesting. 

How the hell do you "forget" rehearsals as important as gearing up for a stadium tour with Slash? Honestly :lol: 

I don't know. I just included it because it was one of VR's biggest songs. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

See, I'm on the other side of the fence on this. It's telling that I love the album but you don't and we feel the exactly opposite on how fans treat each other over it. 

Since day one, I've said that I love CD and don't care who else does which includes other GN'R fans. In all my time on the forums, I don't think I've ever once felt the need to convince another GN'R fan that they HAVE to like CD. I've stated why I like certain songs, etc, but I honestly don't think I've ever tried to tell someone else that they have to love it too. On the flipside of that, I feel like I've been told over and over how dumb I am for loving the album and allllllllllllllll the reasons why I shouldn't. Whenever I say that Better is my favorite GN'R song, I get told continually about how dumb I am and I can't possibly like Better more than Estranged, Jungle, Coma and so on. 

Again, I don't think either of us are right here. I think 2 things are in play: 1- Our own perception skews things. We're on one side of the fence, so we're sensitive to what the other side says and 2- Some people DO do that so we're probably over sensitive about it. 

Yeah, I would never tell anyone they can't like CD, they are dumb for liking it, or they are just pretending that they like it.  But I constantly hear that I am not giving it a chance because Slash isn't on it and so on. Or it is a great album but I just refuse to like it or watver. Maybe I just think it is terrible. It isn't really that far fetched since it doesn't sound anything like the Guns N Roses I fell in love with. 

People like @NicoRourke are constantly butt hurt and calling me out. Well I am a huge Guns N' Roses fan too and I will give my opinion whether he likes it or not. I don't like him or agree with him but I don't get all pissy over his opinion. 

There are a good amount of fans that think they are playing too many CD songs and ignoring their classic catalog. A lot of them are even fans of of CD.

As always, I really enjoy your level headed perspective @RussTCB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie Money said:

I may be late to the discussion but I am pleased to confirm that Axl didn't specifically ask or instruct Slash and Duff to learn Chinese Democracy songs.  Instead, it went like this.  The band members got together for rehearsals (without Axl) about 3 weeks before they had the tour meetings that resulted in a failed deal with Izzy and special appearance verbal agreement with Steven Adler.  Duff encouraged Slash to learn the CD songs that he had played on the previous tour in which he participated. Axl was nowhere to be found at the rehearsals and actually supposedly "forgot" they were taking place and made other plans. The way I understood it was that Slash didn't necessarily love the idea of playing so many of these songs but thought it would be cool if they also play a song or two of VR. As far as we know Axl hasn't even rehearsed Slither, Fall to Pieces with the band. My communication with certain people involved in the band has been limited recently, and when I speak with them I can't press them for questions that only us forum nerds would care about. 

I first reported that CD songs would be played and most of you didn't believe me. At the time, I had heard that they would play at least two songs. I had no idea that they would try and work in 4. 

Fair enough, that all seems reasonable and believable I guess. 

Do you expect any variations on the set list we have been getting? I mean... There's a lot of people calling for songs such as right next door to hell, yesterday's etc etc to start making their way into the set list at least as a subtle variation... Any news on the chances of that? 

Also, what do you make of the supposed leak about an Aus/Nz tour? Any news or truth to that from your contacts? 

I don't expect any real answers but I have to try ??

Edited by Tadsy

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Why the fuck is it petty? It was in direct response to someone asking " You really thinks that "Pretty tied up" or "Perfect crime" are much better of TWAT or "Prostitute" or "Madagascar" or "Catcher"? "

It has nothing the fuck to do with casual fans or Slash, Axl and Duff playing together. Another selective fucking reader. And it wasn't pissing and moaning about anything. So annoying. Can we get a middle finger emoji?

3 hours ago, .Seal said:

Well if you guarantee it! The truth is you know shit about why they are playing the songs they do but if believing your own BS gets you through the day, go ahead.

You're right.. Guarantee was the wrong word. I just think it is very likely that Axl said he wasn't just going to bury the CD era in order to have a reunion. Is that really so far fetched. Just like it is very likely that Axl also said he wasn't going to fire any of his current band members  in order to make the reunion happen.

18 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

There's a lot of people calling for songs such as right next door to hell, yesterday's etc etc to start making their way into the set list at least as a subtle variation... Any news on the chances of that? 

I doubt they would ever play RNDTH. But they did play Yesterday's back in April.. Sounded good too