This I love - '93/94 Version?

So I've been thinking lately, Axl has said before that This I love goes all the way back to the '90s and even mentioned it in the '90s at some point. Do we think the vocals on the final are from the 90s or re-recorded at a later date? And what info do we have about the early versions? Was it only written in the 90s or was it actually recorded with the band? 

No way the vocals on the Final version are from the 90's 

Axl had in his mind what the song is going to be, I guess it was ready by the mid 90's and it was even going to be released for a movie sound track, I forgot the name of the movie, but it din't work out.

Axl was not convinced with the song, but Robin convinced him and recorded the solo, Robin and Tommy were in the favor of the song so thats how this song ended up on CD

• Like 2

Axl wrote that in 92, said that: "  I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called This I Love, that’s the heaviest thing that I’ve ever done. Other than that, we’re not even sure how we’re gonna approach writing for this next album."

Just speculation here, but i Think a bit of the early version is played Before November Rain some shows in the UYI tour.. just like he played Prostitute as an intro to November Rain in 2006..

Edited by estranged_85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

This sounds like some piano improvisation and not at all like the actual song. Maybe like 2 or 3 chords sound a bit like final TIL version but Axl's piano improvisations were always like this.

Not sure what's the base to say this was the song or even a draft of the song.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to hear if he recorded vocals for it before the ones on the final version, or if they were the vocals recorded and they just used them, as they did for a lot of the other CD songs. I'd love to hear a version with Axl's classic vocals on it. 

38 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

It sounds like a more dramatic and aggressive version of TIL (it fits with axls statement: that it's the heaviest thing he wrote). It would make more sense to me if they would perform the version where slash was still in the band. While saying this: we don't know if there was a final version in 93/94. I hate the pitman synths in that song...the final CD Version is horrible IMO.

Edited by maxpax
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, maxpax said:

It sounds like a more dramatic and aggressive version of TIL (it fits with axls statement: that it's the heaviest thing he wrote). It would make more sense to me if they would perform the version where slash was still in the band. While saying this: we don't know if there was a final version in 93/94. I hate the pitman synths in that song...the final CD Version is horrible IMO.

When Axl said heaviest thing he ever wrote he did not mean like heavy as in music wise, he meant emotional wise.  Like he wrote it with a heavy heart.

That being said, you can hear TIL in it, its just played must faster than the album version.  The song when it was written in 92 for that Robin Williams movie was just piano and no guitars or drums or bass. Just Axl and Piano, according to someone from that movie.

• Like 1

That Seattle solo definitely does have parts which are very similar to TIL. It only sounds different because it is much busier than the final track. Compare it to some parts here:

This sounds more simple, but there are small parts which are very similar to the solo. For example, 0:32 on the Seattle solo sounds like 0:58 on the above piano track, and 1:08 on the Seattle solo sounds like 3:16 on the piano track.

One can argue that the solo isn't TIL, but it is undeniable that parts of that solo are featured in TIL.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

Yes, there are parts, little parts that sound similar to the final TIL but also, that improvisation is similar to a lot others Axl used to play in the 90s because that's the way he plays piano and apparently loves scales.

I just think the title of the video is wrong and misleading and only for clickbait purposes. No one can say that is the actual This I Love or a 90s version, even if we think we hear a couple chords here and there. Truth is no one really knows how it sounded back then (no one from here, that is).

21 hours ago, maxpax said:

this is good stuff...Axl if you read this we want you to play some piano solos please! :heart:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

That Seattle solo definitely does have parts which are very similar to TIL. It only sounds different because it is much busier than the final track. Compare it to some parts here:

This sounds more simple, but there are small parts which are very similar to the solo. For example, 0:32 on the Seattle solo sounds like 0:58 on the above piano track, and 1:08 on the Seattle solo sounds like 3:16 on the piano track.

One can argue that the solo isn't TIL, but it is undeniable that parts of that solo are featured in TIL.

this is beauitful...i love it :heart:

22 hours ago, maxpax said:

I hate the pitman synths in that song...the final CD Version is horrible IMO.

I do believe a lot is Axl - he said the bridge music was one of his proudest moment on CD. Robin's solo is magnificent. Tears your heart appart.

Edited by NicoRourke
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

He did the same with Prostitute in 2002 during his piano solos.

And in 2006. Except that he was playing it note for note (faster). Here in the Seattle clip I only recognize some chord progression similar to TIL's chorus.

11 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

When Axl said heaviest thing he ever wrote he did not mean like heavy as in music wise, he meant emotional wise.  Like he wrote it with a heavy heart.

That being said, you can hear TIL in it, its just played must faster than the album version.  The song when it was written in 92 for that Robin Williams movie was just piano and no guitars or drums or bass. Just Axl and Piano, according to someone from that movie.

Just Axl and Piano? Great.