Don't Cry 87 vs Don't Cry vs Don't Cry ALT

Which Don't Cry is your favorite?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

UYI 1

Not of fan of Adler playing slower ballads. Too vanilla

SCOM works because its a more mid tempo ballad. 

Sorum's signature fills and sound in songs like Don't Cry, Nov Rain & Estranged are grossly underrated and taken for granted by most diehard gnr fans.

I bet if they recorded those songs with Adler or Frank everyone would be singing a different tune. "These songs don't sound right" "Play it like its played on the record" "When people spend $300 on a ticket they have expect it to sound like the records" etc

• Like 1

The DEMO version that is on the CD single, which is what I believe is being referred to as the "87" version, is among my favorite GN'R songs period. Needless to say, it is my favorite version of the song.

The instrumentation isn't better than the UYI versions, but I do like the fact that it is stripped down and simple (no extensive background vocals). I like the shorter ending too. Most of all, I think AXL's voice is as good, vulnerable and heartfelt as it's ever been.

For my money, Don't Cry DEMO, You're Crazy and One in a Million from Lies are the best AXL has ever sounded on a recording.

Edited by thunderram

First Guns song I ever loved. Don't Cry is a classic ballad. That being said, I wish the solo had less distortion and was more in the vein of Estranged and November Rain. The 3 minute "aiiiiiiiii" was just pointless Axl wanking.

Because of all that -- the best version of this song is from their club days. I have nothing against the ALT version, but it just feels a bit unnecessary. Aside from the "No one left to cry to baby" part, the song doesn't really offer anything new...