The pizza thread

ZoSoRose

14 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

My sister was twenty five at the time and she is tall and she was getting ID'd everywhere in York - the bar stuff were unbelievably rude as well. She literally hates the city and vows to never return haha.

I haven't been ID'd/carded in a while, but... IDK, this hot customer of mine/Gangster B's thought I was 22/23, (she was like 21) when I was 27.

When I did get ID'd, I used to think 'wow, what a compliment' and  that made my 20 minutes or something. :lol:

So I don't understand people getting all pissed about it; Especially if you have your ID on you.

*How do you spell ID'd?!

Edited by Snake-Pit

1 minute ago, Snake-Pit said:

I haven't been I'D/carded in a while, but... IDK, this hot customer of mine thought I was 22/23 when I was 27.

When I did get I'D, I used to think 'wow, what a compliment' and made my 20 minutes or something. :lol:

So I don't understand people getting pissed about it.

Probably because if you have not got an ID, you are drinking coke that night.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Probably because if you have not got an ID, you are drinking coke that night.

But he in his tales of the checkout queue said he had his license on him and everything, but 'somehow' took offense to being asked to produce it.

I wonder if he'll pass Test 25, or whatever it's called, where if you look over a certain age, they'd not ask. - IDK.

Just now, Snake-Pit said:

But he in his tales of the checkout queue said he had his license on him and everything, but 'somehow' took offense to being asked to produce it.

Erm, no I didn't. I didn't have any ID on me at the time or I would've produced it. 

Just now, Dazey said:

Erm, no I didn't. I didn't have any ID on me at the time or I would've produced it. 

Oh right...

17 hours ago, Dazey said:

A few years back I was doing the weekly shop in Asda. I had about £150 worth of groceries on the conveyor, was still dressed in work overalls with car keys in hand (when I still had a license :lol: ). Among the many items in my shop were 24 cans of lager which the woman at the checkout refused to sell me because I didn't have any ID. I thanked her for her help and promptly walked out of the shop leaving a line of people behind me and her scrabbling around furiously to clear all of my abandoned shopping out of the way. :lol:

I guess I read that thinking that meant you still had it in your wallet or something, and that you were an arsehole but a proud one. - And left it at that.

Just now, Snake-Pit said:

Oh right...

I guess I read that thinking that meant you still had it in your wallet or something, and that you were an arsehole but a proud one. - And left it at that.

Haha. Nah, even I'm not that bad. I simply meant that this was back when the government still allowed me to drive. :lol:

• Like 1

On 24 July 2016 at 9:29 PM, Dazey said:

This whole challenge 25 thing is okay to a point but a bit of common sense is needed. I mean buying a few cans in your work gear alongside a months groceries is a little different than trying to get served in a bar with no ID. You're right about York though. That's just silly. 

I got ID'd at Sainsbury's while buying some bottled craft ale for a friend last week. I've been noticing my face getting wrinklier lately so I was rather delighted that someone thought that I looked under 25, when I convince myself every morning that I look like a 33-year old who has given up on her youth. 

Best pizza will always be in NYC.

Dallas recently opened an "old Chicago" pizza place. they said they served Chicago style pizza. It's not. Chicago pizza is deep dish. I got a pan pizza and a drink. It cost me $18. Not going there again.

Everytime Dallas opens a restaurant it's always catered to their taste. It's not real anything.

The Cake Boss opened his bakery in Dallas and it doesn't have 3/4 of the cookies, cakes or pastries his New Jersey bakery has.

It's a waste of time coming to Dallas when the real food never seems to get here.

On 7/18/2016 at 3:50 PM, grouse said:

So what's wrong with a true Italian pizza?, you know the way it's meant to be prepared? All American pizzas suck donkey balls, a whole lot of dough with even more cheese on it and oh yeah there's some meat and some way out of place jalapeños. When it comes to pizza American style it really is rubbish no matter how you slice it.

i just remembered, i had pizza from a guy from Sicily, he claimed he invented the stromboli but eh, not sure about that. the pizza he made for me was pretty good but i had a better pizza margherita from a chain called Two Guys From Italy to be honest. thin,smoky crust,not smothered in cheese ( i don't like a lot of cheese on my pizza ) a sauce redolent with fresh basil, it was amazing. this place also introduced me to sage in Italian cooking, they made a ravioli with a white sauce that had sage in it, it was delicious. later on i got a recipe from an Italian chef for a pasta that has sage,walnuts and prosciutto among it's ingredients which is now my go to pasta dish when i want to make a fast but delicious dinner :)

52 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Best pizza will always be in NYC.

Dallas recently opened an "old Chicago" pizza place. they said they served Chicago style pizza. It's not. Chicago pizza is deep dish. I got a pan pizza and a drink. It cost me $18. Not going there again.

Everytime Dallas opens a restaurant it's always catered to their taste. It's not real anything.

The Cake Boss opened his bakery in Dallas and it doesn't have 3/4 of the cookies, cakes or pastries his New Jersey bakery has.

It's a waste of time coming to Dallas when the real food never seems to get here.

New Haven, CT has great pizza - Sally's and Pepe's, BAR, Modern...

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 2

On 26-7-2016 at 10:50 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i just remembered, i had pizza from a guy from Sicily, he claimed he invented the stromboli but eh, not sure about that. the pizza he made for me was pretty good but i had a better pizza margherita from a chain called Two Guys From Italy to be honest. thin,smoky crust,not smothered in cheese ( i don't like a lot of cheese on my pizza ) a sauce redolent with fresh basil, it was amazing. this place also introduced me to sage in Italian cooking, they made a ravioli with a white sauce that had sage in it, it was delicious. later on i got a recipe from an Italian chef for a pasta that has sage,walnuts and prosciutto among it's ingredients which is now my go to pasta dish when i want to make a fast but delicious dinner :)

Well you were lied to, a stromboli is something typical American and I am pretty sure a purebred Italian wouldn't come up with something like that

And why the heck am I even defending Italian style pizzas here I am not even Italian! haha :lol:

3 minutes ago, grouse said:

Well you were lied to, a stromboli is something typical American and I am pretty sure a purebred Italian wouldn't come up with something like that

And why the heck am I even defending Italian style pizzas here I am not even Italian! haha :lol:

yeah that's why i said i doubted it was true

22 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Yeah, New Haven is a pizza Mecca. I've eaten a lifetime of it, being a five minute walk from Wooster Square and all that.

If you ever get to Boston Regina's rivals anything in NYC and New Haven and I have eaten a lot of both as I used to go to the city often and lived in CT for a long time.

5 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

If you ever get to Boston Regina's rivals anything in NYC and New Haven and I have eaten a lot of both as I used to go to the city often and lived in CT for a long time.

I didn't know that you were a Nutmegger, CR. Where about did you live? Hopefully it wasn't somewhere like Bridgeport!

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

I didn't know that you were a Nutmegger, CR. Where about did you live? Hopefully it wasn't somewhere like Bridgeport!

I lived in Sandy Hook for a short while but lived in Bethel, CT for 14 years and worked in Danbury and then Newtown before I moved up near Boston........I used to go to concerts in New Haven al the time especially Toad's Place..................Yeah Bridgeport is a tough town for sure..........

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

I lived in Sandy Hook for a short while but lived in Bethel, CT for 14 years and worked in Danbury and then Newtown before I moved up near Boston........I used to go to concerts in New Haven al the time especially Toad's Place..................Yeah Bridgeport is a tough town for sure..........

Bethel's lovely. Somewhere where you expect horse drawn buggies to pass at any moment and for everyone to call each other by their family names. Bridgeport on the other hand...I went to the gun-range there once and was half-jokingly advised to keep a few bullets unfired just in case I might need them to shoot my way out of the city later. :lol:

Toad's Place; walked past it a billion times, but never actually set food inside. Lots of history in there, for such a small, unimposing space.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 1

I moved to Arizona from CT over the year ago. The only things I miss are the thin crust pizzas and the rain.

I lived in Newtown for most of my life.

1 hour ago, PappyTron said:

Bethel's lovely. Somewhere where you expect horse drawn buggies to pass at any moment and for everyone to call each other by their family names. Bridgeport on the other hand...I went to the gun-range there once and was half-jokingly advised to keep a few bullets unfired just in case I might need them to shoot my way out of the city later. :lol:

Toad's Place; walked past it a billion times, but never actually set food inside. Lot's of history in there, for such a small, unimposing space.

Bethel is beautiful, I wonder if Molten Java is still around? 

Bethel is beautiful...I moved up to Mass 17 years ago but my brother and mother still live there so go there often.....

Pepe's opened a place in Danbury which makes the real New Haven stuff...

Newtown actually has a great pizza place for such a small town in "My Place Pizza"......it is run by an Italian family and makes very good NY style thin crust IMHO.