What was the GnR song that made you a fan?

I remember being  13. November Rain music video came on and all I remember is Slash getting up on the piano and letting rip on the outro solo. That was it for me. Went out and bought UYI and a guitar with all my savings later that week. 

Edited by blackrose87

when the band was already over and I was still a teenager in the early 2000's I remember watching the WTTJ video and being impressed by Axl's screaming and presence on stage. Then I got to listen to SCOM and was once again captured by Slash's riff and solo that time!

I'm young but I'm GN'R Fan since 2004 because "Welcome To The Jungle" in GTA San Andreas. I loved that song... and then i found WTTJ on a musicchannel in TV and it  was amazing... So i recorded with my VHS musicvideos "WTTJ", "SCOM", "PC" and "NR"

in 2005 i bought Appetite For Destruction .. later Use Your Illusion... and then Spaghetti & Live Era & Lies... i learn about the band, they names...

in 2006 i watched Rock Am Ring on TV. I'm german and it was free on TV here in Germany. For the first time i heard about the break up between Axl & Slash

in 2007 i bought the DVDs Live in Tokyo :-) and my hair was growin' :-D

in 2008 the World Wide Web was found... so I checked all Information about Guns N' Roses and Chinse Democracy... and finally i bought Chinese Democracy

in 2009 i started downloading Bootlegs thanks to WWW

in 2010 i started playing Guitar... mainly with TABs

in 2011 i watched Rock In Rio IV live and it was awful

in 2012 i saw NEW GUNS N' ROSES live in Mönchengladbach, Germany and later Slash live in Berlin with Motley Crue

in 2013 i have a 500GB Harddrive full of Bootlegs

in 2014... bähh.. Kidney failure and started with Dialysis for 5 hours, 3 per Week... i have my laptop on dialysis and i watched ALL bootlegs!!! from 1986 - 1993 - Watching all bootlegs was a great experience! really I'm serious

in 2015 i saw Slash in Berlin and i started guitar again BUT with notes, pentatonic scales and so on... now i can play better than ever

in 2016 i saw Axl and AC/DC in Leipzig,  and i bought my first Les Paul Gibson for 2000 euros

yes GN'R changed my life.. can't wait for 2017

• Like 4

SCOM. I kept catching it on the radio and was enthralled by the solo, I then realised that it was by the same band who done WTTJ. I bought AFD and immediately copied onto cassette for the car. I was a mum of two doing 'mum stuff' and playing AFD made me feel like ME not just ' Mummy '

I'm a Grandma now and doing 'Grandma' stuff but when I play my GNR or Slash l still feel like ME again.

Thank You Guns n Roses:hug:

• Like 1

Paradise City. 

Back in the day when MTV was about music instead of z list wannabe celebrities, I remember watching PC and thinking "those 5 guys in that band are really good looking" :wub:

That's how my journey started.

Michael Jackson's Dangerous album :D

There was Slash's name - and one thing followed another - after that - I saw few videos on MTV, then somebody played AFD cassette in school, cousin had AFD and Lies LP's and here I am 25 years later acting like nerd kid typing on GNR fan forum :D

I heard gnr for the first time back in 1989, i was 9 years old. Wttj called my atention, and scom too.  I was a little kid and i was hearing "kids music" by then, but one day my uncle ( who regularly used to hear zep and deep purple )  was hearing some new LP he just bought. When i heard wttj and scom something kind of changed inside me but not quite entirely, after all i was just a little kid.  However i stoped inmediatly listening kids stuff. And started to hear ( when my uncle borrowed me his albums) that afd , some zep, frampton, floyd and queen.  By 1990 , since i was so into that music, my mom bought me gnr lies cassette. Patience and one in a million got stuck in my head. 

For september 1991 my birthday was coming and there was a huge anticipation/expectation for gnr new album. So i asked my family for "birthday money" and by september 26 i went to the record store to buy that "new gnr thing" to chek it out. Wich i couldnt cause it was sold out. So ive got myself the "and justice for all "  and " black album" metallica cassettes.  Since cassettes were a lot less expensive that LP i had some money left, and a couple of days later ( maybe september 28, 29 ) i passed by for some new record store opening. There was a huge line to get in, i were with my family so i asked them to let me there, wich they let me.   Like an hour after i got in line i found out that line was exclusively for buying gnr new thing. I didnt have enough money for both albums so i figure " hey, ill just Take one",   but once i got there i realize my money was enough for two cassettes. So i bouht them.

That was the moment of my life..  November rain, civil war, estranged, dont cry, coma. Etc thosreeaaally changed my forever.  Those cassettes made me decide to become a musician, to play guitar, piano,.. Sing...   For many years i only listened gnr because of those.  

Thats my story

• Like 1

Heard some girl singing Jungle in class in the 7th grade was the first time I heard of them. Then saw The Sweet Child video a couple day later.  That was the coolest band I had ever seen (and still) is. Especially with all the gay shit around at the time. I was immediately hooked and acquired a copied tape of Appetite.

I was hooked by the second song in.. So It's So Easy...

Edited by Tom-Ass

1990. 6th grade (11years old). All my classmates wee listening to new kids on the block, and i was disgusted by that.

Was watching a lot of MTV and I remember seeing PC and SCOM on tv and I liked them a lot. And WTTJ. Not sute wich was first. 

After that UYI singles in '91, '92, YCBM, NR, DC... they just made me like their music more.

In 1993 I  watched a fashion show on  tv. Dont remember a name of a show (perhaps it was just a report from the fashion show), but there was a sexy lady walking down the catwalk, and in the background I heard a part of a song that I was 100% sure it was a GNR song. Never heard it before and  I was thrilled. I was eager to find out what was that song.

Two years later in high school i bought UYI from a friend and I finally find out - that song was Coma. By that, I was officially hooked :)

After that I started taping live gnr shows like paris 91, fm tribute, rock in rio KOHD and others.

However, I never heard AFDalbum  until my ex girlfriend gave it to me in 1998. I was already a fan of GNR, but I was blown away by the album. For me, AFD is the best piece of rock music ever.

First and the most favorite song is Don`t cry. Some crazy story. By 2009 never heard of GNR (strange, isn`t it?). In Russia GNR aren`t so famous. But my father gave me a listen to Don`t cry and i was blown g$ddam# away!!!!! And then i saw a video... Something epic touched my soul:P

• Like 1

I was in the 7th Grade, my music teacher was really cool and he was a great guitarist, I was not that much in to rock music cause no one in my family listened or liked rock, I liked stuff from Michael Jackson, Madonna, Boney M, Modern Talking etc etc, basically disco pop music which till today sounds great, now days its just retarded pop music. 

So well I was learning the guitar and there was another guy who was pretty good at it, we were watching the Ritz show and I din't like the band at all, my guitar teacher was like Axl has the one of the greatest voice and I was like are you kidding me? this dude can't even sing. (Well now I think of it in a different way).

So well we were watching the Ritz show and Sweet Child O' Mine came, the intro din't impress me, but when the Solo came, it was like WOW, the melodic solo just blew my mind away, so you can say sweet Child got me in to the band

Then it took me time to get used to, after Sweet Child, I started to like Paradise City and then gradually the other songs, another song which will always be amazing to me is Don't Cry. 

Now well Im a hardcore GNR fan. 

• Like 1

Sweet Child o' Mine made me buy Appetite. I became obsessed when I heard Rocket Queen. When I heard Coma, though, it brought out a new appreciation for the ride you could be brought on with the right lyrics.