What was the GnR song that made you a fan?

17 hours ago, RONIN said:

I was introduced to Guns N Roses through Michael Jackson's music. I bought "Dangerous" and was blown away by the song "Give in To Me" -- Slash's hard rock sound was like a revelation for me.

Out of curiosity, i checked out the band's work and stumbled upon "Don't Cry" -- became an instant fan. GnR's ballads were a gateway drug for me to the rest of their hard rock songs.

this was also my introduction to gnr and don't cry was also the final piece which made me a fan :D ...i remember that as a kid i liked "black or white" and "give into me a lot"...my cousins were gnr fans back then, but i didn't like rock music....then years later they showed the KOHD Freddie Tribute video very often in german television (i was fascinated by the performance and the huge crowd)....there was also this late 90s welcome to the jungle video...and in a mood of childhood memories i googled for wrestling and gnr...and i then downloaded the don't cry video...and was stunned by the band.

• Like 1

Paradise City. Never heard anything like it. It was 1989, I remember it was a sunny day and I heard it on a UK station called Radio One. I was 12. After years of Rick Astley, this was very welcomed in the Slosh household.

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Damn I'm young lol, I just got into GNR in 2012 when I stumbled upon Pretty Tied Up then Mama Kin and then Breakdown on Youtube. Still 3 of my favourite songs of GNR.

You may be young but some of us are really,really old:P

1 minute ago, Len B'stard said:

Shotgun Blues, true story :lol:  Up until that point i didn't know songs could have swearing in em.  Was too young to even understand what he was on about i was so little but it was just like 'cool, he's swearing' :lol:  

i always thought you was old Len?:P you're just a young 'un ain't you!

I give credit to my mother for most of the music I listen to. Although I didn't get into the full GnR catalogue until quite recently, I knew the hit songs and one that did actually stick with me was Don't Cry but I mainly listened to the Chinese Democracy album for a while, I listened to the other albums too but nowhere near as much, thanks to the reunion I've been delving deeper and have listened to all the albums. I'm a pretty big MJ fan so I have always known who Slash was but didn't really think deeper than that. Songs like November Rain and Don't Cry were new to me but somehow familiar thanks to my mum listening to them, it was a nice feeling. I now have a whole new appreciation for the band in general and that's why I found this forum, so I could talk about the band I now love with people who love it as much as I do :D

I remember it exactly: in the Netherlands they showed the US top 10 on MTV. They played Straight Up by Paula Abdul and then came Paradise City which blew me away totally as a 16 year old. I was into LL Cool J, the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, but wow: this was something else! A bit later I bought the AFD cassette and I was hooked. The funny thing though is: when PC is playing on the radio I still like it a lot, but I never play that song on Spotify anymore. But it was burned into my brain on that moment in 88 when I saw that video on my crappy black and white TV :-)

Edited by Feibo

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Damn I'm young lol, I just got into GNR in 2012 when I stumbled upon Pretty Tied Up then Mama Kin and then Breakdown on Youtube. Still 3 of my favourite songs of GNR.

Its never too late to be a GNR fan, thank god Pretty Tied up and Mama Kin made you a GNR fan and not something like Scraped or Riad lol

• Like 2

When I was 11 years old (2003) i heard somebody listening to scom at school. Axls voice was unlike anything I'd heard before. I got home and started watching gnr videos from 2002, I listened to the rir3 version of the blues on repeat for weeks. Then I worked my way back through tsi uyi lies and finally appetite. I've listened to gnr almost every day for the past 13 years. 'NUGNR' was where I first properly discovered the band but I love to listen back to every era and side project. The song that hit me like a train when I first heard it was estranged, absolutely phenomenal. 

My friend was starting to get into them and was stoked about it. So much so that he made me watch their behind the music episode. I was totally intrigued and sold on the stories alone and obviously recognised some of the songs from the snippets, but what really got me was the danger vibe.

That same friend had also just bought the live at the Ritz DVD so when I saw that I was just mesmerized by Axl and how intense he was. It was literally the coolest shit I'd ever seen and Welcome to the Jungle instantly became my favourite song. I've never heard a cooler song than that by anyone before or since. To me, it's quite simply the greatest live performance you can possibly witness. GN'R playing Welcome to the Jungle is the shit. It doesn't get any better.

• Like 1

Huge, massive, enormous Queen fan here, so one afternoon I was on youtube watching the Freddie Mercury Tribute and bumped into 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. The legend says that in the middle of the song there's a crazy guy hitting the stage, dancing like a motherfucker, between fireworks, screaming his heart off. 

I was so blown away with all of that  - the stage presence, and power and energy and voice (and outfit, let's admit) - that I went to see more about him. The first thing was KOHD from that same concert and it was such a 'wow' moment that I surrendered to the band immediatly. Then the Ritz rant and performing of OTGM and they just became Queen level to my book.

(Funny is I remember being like 13 or something and listen to KOHD that my cousin had put on my mp3. I remember I really digged the song, because I thought the band had two vocalists, one with the low voice and the  other with the raspy one, I never thought it was the same guy. :facepalm: If I knew better GN'R had entered sooner in my life, no doubt.)

• Like 1

For me, it was WTTJ that started  my obsession with GNR. My family just got cable in the fall of 1987. My dad and I was watching MTV. A  video medley came on of George Michael's Faith, Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer, Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar on Me, and GNR's Welcome to the Jungle. My father said that I should listen to this band. I loved how Axl was in the chair  watching those TVs. Sure enough, I became a fan.

Heard the usual hits in the beginning and I liked them but never dug too dep. Loved Sweet Child and Jungle. Shortly after a break up with my high school girlfriend, I was just noodling around listening to music  trying to keep my mind off of things (that's what teenagers do, I guess). Found "Estranged" on my brother's iTunes and was kinda curious. Pressed Play and it had me in tears. Haven't looked back since. The words just resonated with every emotion I was feeling at the time. It's become like the song of my life in many ways. Favorite song ever, EVER!

• Like 1

Must have been Welcome to the Jungle. I liked all the greatest hits, wasn't really into the "deep cuts" at first. Then came the ChiDem leaks and I was obsessed. I thought they leaked versions sounded amazing already and couldn't understand why not just release them already. Then finally ChiDem came out and it was the best GNR record ever. Only recently, with the lack of new music, have I "found" such great songs as Breakdown, You're Crazy, Coma etc.