What was the GnR song that made you a fan?

It wasn't really a song that made me a fan it was when DJ Ashba joined the band. I was like Wow look at that dude! He is so cool! I like his hat!:headbang:

Seriously though, a local radio station used to have the top 8 at 8 and Sweet Child O Mine was #1 every night for a long period of time. The weird thing is the first time I ever heard of Guns N Roses I was like what kind of hillbilly name is that. Those days we didn't have cable so no MTV for me. I was actually hooked on the music because I had no idea of what they looked like or what their image was. 

Good topic thread, OP.

For me, my big one is Don't Cry (so they better actually play it in Houston), but it came in stages.

1. Heard Welcome to the Jungle while driving through the middle of nowhere, and my mind was blown. The next week, while training to me our college's mascot, we used it as a pump-up, and it's been my alarm clock, ring tone, pump up jam, etc. for years since.
  2. I used Paradise City for a theme song before a talk show I filmed in college, and at the campus pep rallies I ran.
  3. I used Mr. Brownstone for a political ad when running for a campus office.
  4. Patience takes me back to fall of senior year of college, when my group of friends (still like family today) first formed.
  5. Aaaaaaaaand Don't Cry was the song that convinced me to ask my wife out on our first date. Hence, favorite.
  6. Like someone said above, the rest is history.

Welcome to the jungle. I saw the video on mtv with my sister and her hot friend. I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but they were 15-16. Her friend always wore a mini skirt and heels. She said about how cool and hot all the guys in the band were. From that moment on, I've always been a huge fan. Was like, I must be like these guys, they rock and are so cool, chicks dig em. Again I was only 4 or 5 and didn't know what I wanted to do to her friend, I just knew I wanted to do something to her haha.

Two live covers LOL

KOHD and Whole Lotta Rosie both from the Marquee shows in Soho '87.

My dad was out to get November Rain but bought unintentionally this live bootleg. Since he prefers studio versions he handed me the bootleg and that was it. A mistake changed my life.

Edited by Free Bird

It wasn't one song but their reputation. I was like 9, and I heard from a family friend that they were pretty vulgar and that I shouldn't listen to them. Well, naturally, that just made me curious so when I got some birthday money, I went to K-Mart with my mom and asked her if I could by a tape. She said sure, so we went over to the music section and I asked a teenage girl who was working the department if I could get a tape (they were locked behind glass like video games are now) and when she said which one, I was like, "that one" and pointed to Appetite (which had just recently started taking off nationally) and she goes "Yeah, I thought so. Everyone's buying that right now" and off I went, tape in hand.

My mom never lived her poor choice down that day as the music within said tape spoke to me in ways her parenting just couldn't lol.

I knew all the hits but I wasn't really a fan. Then I somehow ended up watching this and it changed my life. I knew their story so I also knew that this has nothing to do with old Guns. Axl sounds like shit but for some reason I liked it. After that I went to listen RQ and other songs.

1 hour ago, Slash787 said:

When, where and how did you even hear it?

I went to a concert in early 2010 and knew none of the songs. (I recognized Jungle and Sweet Child)

When Sorry hit, I was capitvated by Axl's performance. I just looked up at the stage, I was on the rail, and thought to myself "This motherfucker thinks he's king of the world."

And in that moment, I believed him.  That sent me off to learn about GNR, which branched me into the Stones, Zep, Skid Row, Elton, Queen, Bowie. GNR started my love for music. With a live performance of Sorry.

I was born in 1986, I saw T2 sometime very shortly after it came out on video in 1991 or 1992 and was obsessed with that hard guitar noise and the screechy Axl vocals you hear periodically in the first 20-30 minutes of the movie.  My best friend and I watched T2 almost every day of our young lives and I could never get that tune out of my head.  It wasn't until the late 90s when my sister bought Live Era that I found out just what exactly it was, then realized I knew some of their other stuff too (the Sweet Child riff, the WTTJ riff, stuff like that) and that was the song that hooked me.  Even when my favorite GNR song shifts to something like Coma for a period of time it always comes back to YCBM.  It's a perfect, fast, hard chugging rock song, that if released today I feel would still set the world on fire.

Jungle

Get In The Ring

Shot Gun Blues

P.City

C.War

D.T Jive

Use to play them over & over like a lot of people it was before my time early 90s i was only 9/10 when they played River Plate last time etc.

Can not wait for EU 2017 keen for a few shows..!!!!!!!!!

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎18 at 10:46 PM, pinkforgirls said:

The Welcome to the Jungle video on MTV when MTV was true and pure and good in the 80s.  I was in high school.  The opening riffs and scream combined with the image of hayseed Axl sealed it for me. I wore out an Appetite cassette or two. Good times. 

This is my story exactly! Saw this video, said Holy Shit, then hopped into my powder blue mustang LX (remember how everyone had a mustang in the late 80's? haha) and drove half an hour to the nearest music store to pick up the cassette.

• Like 1

Mr. brownstone.

Was trying to find new songs to add to my playlist on spotify before a party... Always liked GnR's music and enjoyed it when it came on the radio or MTV, but never bought their cd's. I was more in to pop music at that time as I was a dancer and worked as a choreographer. This was in 2010 so I only have 6 years of being a die-hard fan and my first concert was the coachella show on April 23rd. Travelled from Norway just for Gn'R! It's quite speciall to me that my first GnR concert experience included Slash and Duff!! Never saw that one coming! Got my Gn'F'nR's tattoo after that show which Axl signed 5 weeks ago. It's all happened really fast!!

So mr.brownstone changed my life. And now I realize that sounds really weird. lol.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

This is my story exactly! Saw this video, said Holy Shit, then hopped into my powder blue mustang LX (remember how everyone had a mustang in the late 80's? haha) and drove half an hour to the nearest music store to pick up the cassette.

haha I drove a POS Toyota but the cool surfer kids drove the 'stangs. A powder blue one? Love it! 

Edited by pinkforgirls

I discovered GNR sometime close to the year 2008. I used to play GTA: San Andreas and WTTJ was a part of the radio soundtrack. I felt that it was a cool song but didn't give too much thought about it initially.

Later, a friend of mine came to my home and wanted to search on YouTube on my computer for a new song that he had heard somewhere. It was "By the Sword". When he looked it up, he realized that it was Slash's song and I came to know about this guy called Slash. 

A few days later, we watched the music video of WTTJ and I realized the same Slash guy was here too! Also, I was amazed by Axl's voice and his wildness in the video that I decided to look GNR up. I watched SCOM next and became an instant fan! The solo just bowled me over! 

So, I downloaded a few popular GNR songs: WTTJ,  SCOM, Nightrain, Paradise City, NR, Estranged, Don't Cry and Patience and kept listening to them a whole lot. Slash's style of playing and Axl's vocals appealed to me a lot and kept me repeating the songs again and again.

At the beginning I liked SCOM the most followed by Estranged but now my most favorite songs are NR, Coma, Nightrain, RQ. I like many Slash's solo/SMKC/VR songs too. I also got myself a Les Paul style guitar recently because I very badly wanted learn how to play the guitar for a long time after listening to GNR tunes! :headbang:

Edited by 22frets

my buddy back then (1992) had a cassette with gn'r ,metallica, red hot chilli peppers and others . But i got really hooked on Mr Brownstone and Nighttrain, loved that songs so i got my self a copie. that summer i wore that cassete down !! Then my parrents got divorced, fucked up times . Gn'R got me thru it !! when my mother packed her things i played Back off bitch really loud !!! When the paris concert came on tv, i waited al night to tape it on vhs. and i watched it over and over again !!! the new guns weren't my cup of thea, but slash i always followed. Now there Back !! i loved every minute of it driving my wife crazy !!! really hooked again, can't wait for them to come to europe !!! you are all lucky bastards in the us of A !!!